Author Topic: Rondo for Noel is starting to make a lot of sense to me ......  (Read 8734 times)

Re: Rondo for Noel is starting to make a lot of sense to me ......
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2013, 11:03:21 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
If it would work out great, I just think the risk is too huge to actually pull the trigger.

Can you imagine the hysteria and panic if this happened and Noel turned out to be a bust?
On the bright side all the anti Rondo people would be forced to eat enormous helpings of crow.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2013, 11:04:30 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Projected No. 1 pick Nerlens Noel, born in Everett, calls Kevin Garnett his favorite basketball player and the Boston Celtics his most beloved team. Once asked who he's most looking forward to meeting in the NBA, Noel answered Garnett. Told to be careful what he wishes for, Noel added that he will be ready for any of the 15-time All-Stars antics.

"I’ll get in his face too," said the Kentucky product, who is currently recovering from a torn ACL suffered during his lone college season.

Noel recently told ESPN's Henry Abbott that he owned posters of Garnett and Paul Pierce growing up ("I idolize KG," Noel has said) – and continuing the Celtics theme here, named Rajon Rondo his dream alley-oop partner.

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2013/05/2013_nba_draft_projected_no_1.html

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2013, 12:02:40 AM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
I'd do it as well. Trade Rondo for Noel, ship out Pierce and Garnett for other young pieces, tank next season and draft Wiggins/Parker.

Wiggins, Green, Sully, Noel would be something to watch 5 years from now. Haha.

I'd keep Rondo just to be on the safe side though...
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2013, 12:02:52 AM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
Noel also said how the one person he would love to catch ally oops from is Rondo. Idk i think we would have to get kemba back or something but would be really crazy if we traded up for the number 1 pick. The only thing about Noel is that he doesn't have broad shoulders and that scares some scouts, because he doesn't really have to much more of a frame to put weight on. So we'll see. I'm sure if something like this happened i would get really excited about it.

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2013, 12:11:35 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I would do it. 10-15 years of Noel trumps 5+ years of Rondo.

It's a good offer so I think Charlotte might agree to it but I wouldn't do it if I were them. Rondo is too old for a team that is that far away from competing for a title.

They really do need a vet leader there though. It might behoove them to make such a move.

If Charlotte is going to reinvent themselves as the hornets, a pretty much guaranteed all star in his prime is a good way to start off on the right foot changing the culture. Plus, they still have a now underrated Biyombo, assuming they keep the pick, and Mclemore or Burke are still available, I assume they'd take one of those two.

I doubt however that they actually bite. Charlotte looks like a team without much direction, and frankly they absolutely cannot afford to fall outside the top 10  next season. If they do the pick is forfeit to Chicago, and that's unacceptable to them.

While its another year of absolute stinkitude, they're not trading the pick. Safer to build around one of Noel/Mclemore and hopefully one of Wiggins/Parker.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2013, 03:01:38 AM »

Offline Smutzy#9

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
Im just being a homer here, but seriously

The day Rondo gets traded is one of the days I cry (the others being when PP and KG retire.)

I just have this horrible feeling that if we get rid of Rondo he is going to make us pay for it every single time we play him and will just erupt. Rondo seriously reminds me of Kobe and MJ with his drive to be the best. He constantly plays with a chip on his shoulder. getting traded from the team he loves, i honestly feel he would come out and be an MVP candidate that year D.Rose style.

On the other side im also freaked out whoever we get will just not work in this system. Rondo is the type of guy you can have running an offense for a decade or more. He is a similar player to Kidd and having him around will just always be a good thing.

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2013, 03:08:16 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I think this (the post above) is the reason why Charlotte should JUMP at the possibility to acquire Rondo. He will without doubt come at the league with a major chip on his shoulder after a year off. It will be doubly so A)after being traded and B) only two years away from the ability to sign the biggest contract of his career. He would rather run his slight frame into the ground than be looked on as 'just another good point guard', and Charlotte will be the better for it.

Of course, reason B still applies in Boston as well, which is why trading his is such a risky move for Boston.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2013, 03:21:46 AM »

Kiorrik

I think this (the post above) is the reason why Charlotte should JUMP at the possibility to acquire Rondo. He will without doubt come at the league with a major chip on his shoulder after a year off. It will be doubly so A)after being traded and B) only two years away from the ability to sign the biggest contract of his career. He would rather run his slight frame into the ground than be looked on as 'just another good point guard', and Charlotte will be the better for it.

Of course, reason B still applies in Boston as well, which is why trading his is such a risky move for Boston.
He's on a peach of a contract. It all depends on what we'd look like I guess. If we wanna contend, we keep the freaky git.

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2013, 06:29:36 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I think Noel is more likely to be Tyson Chandler than Kevin Garnett. I keep Rondo.

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2013, 07:41:57 AM »

Offline Smutzy#9

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
I think Noel is more likely to be Tyson Chandler than Kevin Garnett. I keep Rondo.

This

« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2013, 08:06:20 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Would love to have Noel out of this draft but I am not trading Rondo for him. Not proven, who knows, he could be the next Olawakandi. Unlikely I know but Ill stick with the top 3 point guard we have.

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2013, 08:12:59 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I'm telling you right now a KG,Sully,Noel front line rotation would be absolutely beastly .

Strongly doubt they would be "beastly". Way too many question marks with KG's age (37), Sullinger's back, and Noel's lack of bulk. In fact, during the combine ESPN had their roundtable (Jay Williams, Chad Ford, Fran Fraschilla, Tom Penn) discussing Noel and the consensus was that he is simply not ready to handle the size and physical play, at this stage of his career, at the NBA level. Not to mention that Noel himself said that he is expecting to return from his knee injury around Christmas time. So with the lack of summer league and training camp I expect the first season to be a lost one for Noel.

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2013, 08:26:36 AM »

Offline Juneauz

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 19
No way.

« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2013, 08:41:17 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
idk, though it makes a good story that a local kid came to "rescue" the Celtics, but he is still a rookie and unproven. Rondo took us so far every year since the championship.

I don't mind trading Jeff Green though (and that's coming from a big JG supporter)

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2013, 09:00:21 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I'd rather have the rights to the Detroit and Portland picks.

Also, Charlotte already traded its 1st this year to Chicago, but it is heavily protected.  Can Charlotte even trade the pick given that?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip