Author Topic: Bioshock: Infinite  (Read 2778 times)

Bioshock: Infinite
« on: March 26, 2013, 06:26:42 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Know there's a couple gamers on the site so figured I'd do a quick review:

Played it for about an hour or two this afternoon. Buy it. It's awesome. One of, if not the best few opening hours of a videogame I've ever enjoyed.

Combat is a ton of fun - Great balance between using your weapon and using a melee (or potion if you have it). Kind of similar to Left4Dead in that it's open a 50-50 or 60-40 split in what's necessary.

And as a guy with short patience I absolutely LOVED that it has a button which tells you what direction to go whenever you need it. Generally the path is fairly obvious, but idling around trying to find the right place to go is always super frustrating for me.

I'm not a huge storyline guy (one of the things that deterred me from continuing through 'Mass Effect 3' was all the cut scenes) but the game does a good job of telling a story without taking too far away from the gameplay. And so far, the stories REALLY interesting. It's a little "Bourne Identity" in that you're not exactly sure what's going on around you and why certain events are happening. And you can some really SUPER creepy vibes from the town and townspeople.

Sure the reviews got everyone excited, but I figured I'd relay the message from a super-casual gamer who generally leans to sports games.

Re: Bioshock: Infinite
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 06:39:17 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Thanks for review (TP).

I will more than likely pick it up here in near future.

So is this game classified as an RPG? Do you level up? I know previous Bioshock games were RPGs.

In any event, the last game that I saw a write-up for on CNN's front homepage was back in 07 - with Fallout 3. I loved that game, so I'm even more inclined to try this one, now.

Great story lines are a big draw for me.

From what I read on CNN - the female character is supposedly unlike ANY ever created.

Thanks again for review.

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 06:50:35 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Thanks for review (TP).

I will more than likely pick it up here in near future.

So is this game classified as an RPG? Do you level up? I know previous Bioshock games were RPGs.

In any event, the last game that I saw a write-up for on CNN's front homepage was back in 07 - with Fallout 3. I loved that game, so I'm even more inclined to try this one, now.

Great story lines are a big draw for me.

From what I read on CNN - the female character is supposedly unlike ANY ever created.

Thanks again for review.

Truth be told I haven't played previous installments of Bioshock. It's a first person shooter, but with some added elements like grappling.

It's very interesting so far. So far she's revealed to have one extremely interesting ability, though it's unclear how it'll end up being used. I don't even know how to describe it - but she can change a blank wall into a window to another world. But she doesn't appear to have much control over where/when/what the window brings.

So far there's been some traveling between times and lands without a total explanation of what's going on. But clearly there'll be a tie in there. 

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 07:08:20 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Original Bioshock had one of the best opening sequences of all time (OF ALL TIME!) too.  Gonna pick this up when I get the chance.

I still pine for System Shock 2, though.  Hope they can someday clear up the rights and make a real sequel instead of spiritual ones.

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 07:18:30 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Original Bioshock had one of the best opening sequences of all time (OF ALL TIME!) too.  Gonna pick this up when I get the chance.

I still pine for System Shock 2, though.  Hope they can someday clear up the rights and make a real sequel instead of spiritual ones.

As far as sequels, I'm hoping that someone remakes "Body Harvest".

Now THAT, to me, was a CLASSIC. Game was for the N64 ;D.

I thought it was an original storyline..alien insects invade earth, see humans as food, begin to slowly harvest humans, lone hero has to go back in time and try to save earth, BUT: He gets to use all sorts of vehicles to combat the aliens.

It was a well-made game.

There is another write-up for Bioshock Infinite on the CNN page:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/26/tech/gaming-gadgets/bioshock-infinite-review/index.html?hpt=hp_c3

I'm thinking this game will be interesting, to say the least.