Author Topic: Where does your username originate from?  (Read 27634 times)

Re: Where does your username originate from?
« Reply #60 on: May 20, 2013, 05:52:12 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 670
  • You say when......
From hearing scal compare himself to SHAQ..and watching him play......his antics.....his illusions...I do like him as an announcer though....! So, MeadowLark-Lemon....an old Harlem Globetrotter.......and Scal-dooooow..!

« Reply #61 on: May 20, 2013, 05:57:28 PM »

Offline jarufu

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 123
Mine is the first and second letter of my first, second and surname.

No, my name is not Jasper Rufus Funkmaster  :D

Stay classy, San Diego. Hello, Baxter? Baxter, is that you? Bark twice if you're in Milwaukee. Is this Wilt Chamberlain? Have the decency to say something.

« Reply #62 on: May 20, 2013, 06:09:07 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I've been meaning to make this thread for months, and it's finally here. I don't know if it's already been created prior to my entering the community.

:)

My username comes from when I tried to make a Twitter account... it was @CelticsConcourse and when I joined this site, I said "might as well use it again" and I took out the "s".

And you?
Don't you live in Waterville? I assumed that's where the "concourse" part came from. I had a store on main street many years ago, directly across from The Concourse.

That's where my store was ... it was a music store called "Greg's Music Center", (I was 22).

As for my user name, it's my music moniker, and comes from a mispelling of a jazz-fusion band I used to see at a little club in Portland, ME, called "Tiger's Baku" ... it featured a Japanese trumpet player named Tiger Okoshi, (who now teaches at Berklee), who I became friends with and subbed with from time-to-time. If you like jazz, check out his albums sometime ... great stuff.

Anyway, he was a very big influence on my musical career, so I used a moniker giving honor to him and that band, (who also had musicians like Mike Stern, Baron Brown, Dean Brown, Bill Frissell, Tim Landers, Gerry Etkins, etc. in it). I also ended up studying improv with a friend of Tiger's named Mike Metheny, (horn player), whose little brother is quite well-known, (Pat). I am still in touch with mike and Tiger from time-to-time.

Long story, but you asked! ;)
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #63 on: May 20, 2013, 06:10:58 PM »

Kiorrik

Good thread.  Interesting thread.  TP for you CC.
Most certainly. This is great fun :]

Lots of clever names around here :)

Yep, mine ain't one of 'em though. When I signed up for Celticsblog I thought it was really cool that I got what I considered then to be the ultimate name on a Celtic's website. Years later I am still awaiting the respect that my name deserves.
Hahaha, you get jealousy, that's what you get! I'm stealing some of your TP's! (no really, I wish I could haha)

Fafnir is just a mythical name in various parts that I used for RPG characters, WoW, and various other forums.

Oh and Chris stole my actualy name first, jerk.
Yeah, I kinda did the same thing since "Dirk" was taken; used a name that I came up with for all these RPG's and originated in WoW almost a decade ago. (Time bloody flies!)

Why I hate my username, and feel guilty anytime someone says 'love the username'

When we had to switch to 2.0 username Jeff wrote "the positive side is that if you have any old usernames like 'StartOrien' it'd be a great time to switch your username." Hitting a creativity blank, I went as juvenile as I could and just did what the teacher told me not to.

And now almost every time I sign in I consider deleting the account and making a new name.
Cracked me up, this did. Knowing the story behind it actually gives me some respect for your choice, so I'll be the next one to tickle that guilt-nerve of yours: love the username! :]

« Reply #64 on: May 20, 2013, 06:19:44 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2523
I am a neurotic guy.

« Reply #65 on: May 20, 2013, 06:22:50 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
I am a neurotic guy.

you misspelled "neurotic"

« Reply #66 on: May 20, 2013, 06:24:51 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I've been meaning to make this thread for months, and it's finally here. I don't know if it's already been created prior to my entering the community.

:)

My username comes from when I tried to make a Twitter account... it was @CelticsConcourse and when I joined this site, I said "might as well use it again" and I took out the "s".

And you?
Don't you live in Waterville? I assumed that's where the "concourse" part came from. I had a store on main street many years ago, directly across from The Concourse.

That's where my store was ... it was a music store called "Greg's Music Center", (I was 22).

As for my user name, it's my music moniker, and comes from a mispelling of a jazz-fusion band I used to see at a little club in Portland, ME, called "Tiger's Baku" ... it featured a Japanese trumpet player named Tiger Okoshi, (who now teaches at Berklee), who I became friends with and subbed with from time-to-time. If you like jazz, check out his albums sometime ... great stuff.

Anyway, he was a very big influence on my musical career, so I used a moniker giving honor to him and that band, (who also had musicians like Mike Stern, Baron Brown, Dean Brown, Bill Frissell, Tim Landers, Gerry Etkins, etc. in it). I also ended up studying improv with a friend of Tiger's named Mike Metheny, (horn player), whose little brother is quite well-known, (Pat). I am still in touch with mike and Tiger from time-to-time.

Long story, but you asked! ;)
Forgot to explain: In Japanese culture, a "Baku" is an imaginary creature who eats bad dreams ... that always fascinated me, and Tiger, (the aformentioned horn player), is Japanese, and named his band after that creature.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #67 on: May 20, 2013, 06:30:37 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
France.

« Reply #68 on: May 20, 2013, 06:32:32 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2523
I am a neurotic guy.

You are scaring me as I've been spelling it this way for nearly 50 years.

« Reply #69 on: May 20, 2013, 06:35:54 PM »

Kiorrik

I am a neurotic guy.

You are scaring me as I've been spelling it this way for nearly 50 years.
:]] Epic

« Reply #70 on: May 20, 2013, 06:38:11 PM »

Offline Tradetime

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 115
Mine was inspired by the '06-'07 squad's season, having Pierce and Szczerbiak as our stars, and seeing Tony Allen look like an all-star - for about 20 games before tearing his ACL.

As they say though, history repeats itself.

« Reply #71 on: May 20, 2013, 06:44:14 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Big fan of the author Ian Rankin and his main protagonist John Rebus. On the back cover of one of his books, it talked about Rebus and Rankin back together. Decided to combine the two names.

« Reply #72 on: May 20, 2013, 06:56:34 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
ABC

AB are my initials
C is for Celtics
Avery Bradley is that you?  ;)
Sadly I assure to you he is not...

Thanks for covering for me, Marco.

« Reply #73 on: May 20, 2013, 07:17:41 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
The number of times it took me to find a username that wasn't already taken.

Kidding, of course.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #74 on: May 20, 2013, 07:52:13 PM »

Offline Scott

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
It's my name...very original I know.