Author Topic: Paul Pierce for David Lee worth it?  (Read 3271 times)

Re: Paul Pierce for David Lee worth it?
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2013, 05:59:47 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
GS would never do this.
if they did i'd really have to go with it
love paul but he really did look old this past year, mainly on defense and his shooting % was all over the board during year
great player, leader, we needed rebounding this past year and he got in and did it
BUT David Lee extends KG's career and you instantly have a very good offense with rondo, lee and green,  you'd also move bass for someone at this point

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2013, 06:10:28 PM »

Offline relja

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
  • heart, hustle and muscle
And there are people who think GS would do this? Pierce is old and overpaid. He is still fairly good, but not good enough for 15mil.
When you lose, the easy part is to see who gives up. Giving up is very simple. You basically take your stuff and walk away. To continue to work and to continue to compete is one of the most difficult things, especially when you really don't have anything - KG

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2013, 06:15:13 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
I suppose they both are borderline All-Stars still.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2013, 06:16:36 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
And there are people who think GS would do this? Pierce is old and overpaid. He is still fairly good, but not good enough for 15mil.

It was a deal largely built around salary ramifications.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2013, 06:17:51 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
David Lee led the league in double-doubles and was a top-5 snub from the All-Star game. Pierce was also in the top-5.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2013, 06:18:43 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
How about this deal with Denver:

Celts get - Javale McGee and Wilson Chandler
Denver gets - Paul Pierce, Avery Bradley and our 16th pick in this year's draft.

Celts benefit by getting an actual center (forgot those existed in the NBA). Also Green, Rondo and McGee would be a fun up and down team and KG can finally go back to the 4.

Denver gets an experienced veteran in Pierce, a good 2 defender in Bradley, cap relief by unloading Chanlder and McGee and a decent 1st round pick.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 06:26:19 PM by gpap »

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2013, 06:41:51 PM »

Offline relja

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
  • heart, hustle and muscle

Denver gets - Paul Pierce, Avery Bradley and our 16th pick in this year's draft.

Celts benefit by getting an actual center (forgot those existed in the NBA). Also Green, Rondo and McGee would be a fun up and down team and KG can finally go back to the 4.

Denver gets an experienced veteran in Pierce, a good 2 defender in Bradley, cap relief by unloading Chanlder and McGee and a decent 1st round pick.

I'd say yes. Both teams would improve, we would get an excellent young center and a versatile 2-3 and they would get and experienced vet and scorer and a savvy defender. Make another small trade, to unload Bass/Terry and we're set to go.
When you lose, the easy part is to see who gives up. Giving up is very simple. You basically take your stuff and walk away. To continue to work and to continue to compete is one of the most difficult things, especially when you really don't have anything - KG

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2013, 07:01:21 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428

I'd say yes. Both teams would improve, we would get an excellent young center and a versatile 2-3 and they would get and experienced vet and scorer and a savvy defender. Make another small trade, to unload Bass/Terry and we're set to go.
I'd like to first move bass/terry then see about moving up in the draft then get into pierce and what he is worth to us at his contract vs. moving him and for who

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2013, 07:11:48 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I'd imagine you would have to offer up Sullinger as a replacement PF and a first round pick as part of the package if you were interested in David Lee.  If you're going after someone like Lee who is under contract for three more seasons, you either plan on trading Sullinger at some point or you don't think he is starter material.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2013, 07:15:03 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
I'd imagine you would have to offer up Sullinger as a replacement PF and a first round pick as part of the package if you were interested in David Lee.  If you're going after someone like Lee who is under contract for three more seasons, you either plan on trading Sullinger at some point or you don't think he is starter material.

This is very true. After I posted this I was thinking where this would leave Sullinger. While I would still like to have a PF who can start if need be just in case (which is why I don't understand people who simply want to give Bass away), I'd still like to give Sullinger at least a full season to see how he'd produce as a starter
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2013, 07:23:03 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Wow exact opposite reaction I thought this idea would get.

I figured GS would want to remove Lee from their books after their play did not suffer much without him. They will also want the money to sign Barnes and Thompsan. Not to mention a new contract for Jack and Landry likely.

It didnt suffer much but imagine how much better they would have been with him in the line up.

Doesnt make sense for GS to make this trade since they already have a starting SF in Barnes that fits their system, and wouldnt be able to replace Lee's 20/10 at the PF position as easily.

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2013, 07:43:55 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

With Bass, I am thinking you could deal him to Minnesota for either Luke Ridnour or JJ Barea. That way, we get a back-up PG and someone to fill in until Rondo comes back 100 percent.

Ridnour is a pretty decent 3 point shooter so I wouldn't mind him and JJ Barea is a decent player himself.

For Minny, they get another big and back up to Kevin Love as they might lose Peckovic to free agency.