Author Topic: Paul Pierce for David Lee worth it?  (Read 3275 times)

Paul Pierce for David Lee worth it?
« on: May 19, 2013, 03:57:01 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Kicking this idea around today. GS would likely have to add something to make us take on Lee's contract. While Lee still has 3 more years on his deal, he is a legit 20/10 guy. I have no idea if I would but its worth thinking about.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

Re: Paul Pierce for David Lee worth it?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 04:04:23 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
Kicking this idea around today. GS would likely have to add something to make us take on Lee's contract. While Lee still has 3 more years on his deal, he is a legit 20/10 guy. I have no idea if I would but its worth thinking about.

I don't think GS would have to add anything... I think they're the ones who say no here. Pierce is old and redundant for them: they're set at SF with Barnes for the foreseeable future. Lee serves a much greater need for them.

Also, he's not overpaid. He was the only 20/10 guy in the NBA this year.

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 04:06:32 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
20/10 guys cannot be overpaid.

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 04:08:12 PM »

Offline The Rondo Show

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 364
  • Hook 'Em
GS would never do this.
DKC Suns

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 04:19:58 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Wow exact opposite reaction I thought this idea would get.

I figured GS would want to remove Lee from their books after their play did not suffer much without him. They will also want the money to sign Barnes and Thompsan. Not to mention a new contract for Jack and Landry likely.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 04:27:24 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
20/10 guys cannot be overpaid.

20/10 guys who are horrible defenders can be overpaid if they are getting anywhere close to a max contract.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013, 04:33:51 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Wow exact opposite reaction I thought this idea would get.

I figured GS would want to remove Lee from their books after their play did not suffer much without him. They will also want the money to sign Barnes and Thompsan. Not to mention a new contract for Jack and Landry likely.

Next year is going to be rough for them. They very well might end up paying a 1st or something to get Jefferson or Biedrins off the books.

But the year after that, they'll be able to resign Thompson to a max contact, and likely Barnes as well the year after.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2013, 04:39:31 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Is Thompson a max-contract player?
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2013, 04:47:55 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

At his age, his skill level, wouldn't be surprised. Kind of like the anti-Ibaka. 80% offense with some skill and a lot of potential on defense.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2013, 05:00:51 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
GS says no without the C's offering up more like AB or the 16th pick this year to go with PP

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2013, 05:03:25 PM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71

At his age, his skill level, wouldn't be surprised. Kind of like the anti-Ibaka. 80% offense with some skill and a lot of potential on defense.

Doubtful.  He's got a lot to improve on to get there.  He needs to be more of a playmaker, get to the line more and improve his finishing ability around the basket.  He looks like a B+ guard at his best.  I'd be frankly surprised if he ever makes an all-star team.  His PER has been 14.9 and 12.7 his first two years.  It's not a perfect stat by any means but it's going to take a huge leap to go from such underwhelming PERs to a max-deal.

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2013, 05:07:17 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

Huh. I wouldn't have thought that, although I guess it's hard to be surprised about who gets max money anymore.

I think the bigger issue for GSW is making sure they have a killer #2 (assuming they think Curry is a championship-level #1, which seems like a possibility).

I don't think any of their guys have shown that yet. I could see them moving a couple valuable pieces (Lee+Barnes) and maybe a pick for someone like that, probably a big. Howard? Horford? Monroe? Cousins? I'm not saying those guys are equivalent, but you get the idea.

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2013, 05:08:45 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1674
I question whether Lee's impact matches his stats.  He's an asset on offense but he really is a dreadful defensive player.

Having said that, if you can keep KG around for the next two years then it's a very interesting idea.  Rondo/Bradley/Green/Lee/Garnett is a lineup with talent and nice synergy.  You could win games with that group, though I don't think it can beat Miami.

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2013, 05:10:12 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I would rather have Paul Millsap or Josh Smith than David Lee.

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2013, 05:56:35 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Golden State says no.

You'd have to offer KG for them to even consider dealing Lee, and even then I am not sure they do it.

David Lee is a very good player, no way he gets dealt for Paul Pierce. I wish we had let Pierce walk and gone after him in the summer of 2010 when he was a FA.