Author Topic: Blockbuster Proposal  (Read 3466 times)

Blockbuster Proposal
« on: May 18, 2013, 01:38:20 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Into Boston R Jefferson, Biedrins, Carl Landry, And Harrison   Barnes, about 27 Million.

Out The Legends of Pierce and Garnett, Plus Bradley and Maybe Sully.  about 31 million. Can adjust the trade here or there but that might be tough to turn down for G.S. for just Landry and Barnes.

Re: Blockbuster Proposal
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 01:54:03 AM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
I think we'd be giving up too much. Still don't understand this Harrison Barnes infatuation. Our heart(Garnett) and soul(Pierce) and two of our finer young players for Barnes and a whole bunch of nothing. I'd pass.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 02:02:14 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I don't want to type the whole thing out again, but it doesn't make a lot of sense for Golden State. They're building a potential contender for years if Bogut can ever get healthy and Curry's ankles don't make him the next Roy/Hill/T-Mac.

Remember that during the playoffs, Jackson was working with Curry hobbled, and Bogut at, and Im quoting here, 'never higher than 80%'.

They're just not in the market for a one-off shot like is being proposed here.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 02:51:32 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
The Warriors are set. They are not going to give up Barnes and their expiring contracts for our albeit good leaders, aging players. That core wont be broken unless theyre getting an established star in his prime.

Or Rudy Gay, they adore Rudy Gay.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 06:27:23 AM »

Offline drax

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 15
I think we'd be giving up too much. Still don't understand this Harrison Barnes infatuation. Our heart(Garnett) and soul(Pierce) and two of our finer young players for Barnes and a whole bunch of nothing. I'd pass.

Me neither, especially since we have allready a good replacement for Pierce when he's gone. Jeff Green.

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 09:20:27 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I don't want to type the whole thing out again, but it doesn't make a lot of sense for Golden State. They're building a potential contender for years if Bogut can ever get healthy and Curry's ankles don't make him the next Roy/Hill/T-Mac.

Remember that during the playoffs, Jackson was working with Curry hobbled, and Bogut at, and Im quoting here, 'never higher than 80%'.

This ^

Golden State are setup to be a contender for a years to come. They are not going to screw with that. A team is going to have to offer a star talent in his prime for GSW to part with any of their young core players.

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 09:36:25 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

This ^

Golden State are setup to be a contender for a years to come. They are not going to screw with that. A team is going to have to offer a star talent in his prime for GSW to part with any of their young core players.

Not saying there's any real correlation, but read this post and replace Golden State with the Thunder at the end of their playoff run last year.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2013, 10:38:51 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

This ^

Not saying there's any real correlation, but read this post and replace Golden State with the Thunder at the end of their playoff run last year.
Thunder = small market team with owner committed to a budget. Warriors = large market team with owners with deep pockets. OKC had to move Harden or Westbrook or Ibaka or Durant because they can't afford to sign all 4 to max or near max contracts. Golden State can afford to have $20 million in payroll doing absolutely nothing and still go forward.

After this next year Bogut, Biedrins, Jefferson, Landry and Rush come off the books for a $45 million savings and still have Curry, Thompson, Harrison, Green, and Ezeli under their control for years to come. They will not be trading any of their young core.

I think the Warriors most likely to move expiring contracts for a contract like Biedrins for Nene or McGee or Bargnani than they are trying to getting anything else.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 10:47:16 AM by nickagneta »

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2013, 11:24:48 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I agree with this.

I also disagree with those arguing that Golden State shouldn't make this deal.  When a team has a chance to contend, I think they should maximize that chance.  To become a top-tier championship contender -- adding two all-star caliber players, and two rotation-caliber young guys with upside -- for the cost of just Harrison Barnes seems like a no-brainer to me.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2013, 11:30:17 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Teams such as Golden State tend to treat players such as Barnes as practically untouchable if they think he has a good shot at developing into an All-Star player.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2013, 11:32:12 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Teams such as Golden State tend to treat players such as Barnes as practically untouchable if they think he has a good shot at developing into an All-Star player.

... the same way they treated Andris Biedrins and Monta Ellis as practically untouchable, and passed on putting together a trade for KG when Minnesota was looking to move him.

How's that philosophy working out for them?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2013, 12:07:08 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420

Into Boston R Jefferson, Biedrins, Carl Landry, And Harrison   Barnes, about 27 Million.

Out The Legends of Pierce and Garnett, Plus Bradley and Maybe Sully.  about 31 million. Can adjust the trade here or there but that might be tough to turn down for G.S. for just Landry and Barnes.

This trade is a step back in both asset gathering and winning now. We would just gain a redundant piece in Barnes ( already have green)
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2013, 03:10:06 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I think GS might do it, but they really like Barnes.  I think with Lee and Bogut and their injury issues, they'd love to have KG and PP would be a great 6th man for them, so I think they might do it, but I also think they could probably get better long term assets by not making the trade and moving the expiring deals later on all while still keeping Barnes.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2013, 03:56:41 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I don't think we get enough value for what we give up in KG and Pierce . Bierdnis and Jefferson would be useless, Landry is another undersized PF, Barnes would be nice but at this point he has proven he deserves more playing time and more of a role than we could offer with Jeff green in front of him.

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2013, 09:02:37 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

On a side note, what do you think of Barnes playing the two guard spot, I think if he could Rondo, Barnes and Green looks nice. Barnes can shoot it well already plus he's got great quickness. I think he could do it.

If we could make that trade and keep Sully.

Rondo
 Barnes
 Green
 Sully
 Melo

That's not bad moving forward.