Author Topic: Perkins Finishes Playoffs with a Negative PER  (Read 6665 times)

Re: Perkins Finishes Playoffs with a Negative PER
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2013, 11:54:43 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Is there a team in the entire league that wouldn't take Perk at around $2 million?  I can't think of one that couldn't use Perk's defense, toughness, leadership, and championship experience.

If the Nuggets don't trade either McGee or Koustos and plan on matching any quasi-reasonable contract for Mozgov (which I think is their plan), is there any reason for them to also bring in Perkins and have four centers on the roster?

In a hypothetical world where the Nuggets could acquire Perk for $2 million, they would, if for no other reason than to open up roster options for a trade.

Given a choice between Perk for $2m or Jason Collins for the minimum, I think they might take Collins.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2013, 03:07:47 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Perk would land somewhere because of his tude.   He has six hard fouls, a champion's pedigree even though his knees are shot.  People know he hasn't or will not give up.   

« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2013, 07:42:49 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Worthless player.

One of the worst contracts in the NBA.

These are two completely different concepts.

Perk was top-20 in overall defense this year.  That's not worthless.

where are you getting this from Roy? I'd say his defense has fallen back considerably.

Mysynergysports.com

The numbers have changed a bit since I last looked at them, but Perk graded out as the 27th best defensive player in the NBA in terms of points allowed per possession.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2013, 07:44:18 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Is there a team in the entire league that wouldn't take Perk at around $2 million?  I can't think of one that couldn't use Perk's defense, toughness, leadership, and championship experience.

If the Nuggets don't trade either McGee or Koustos and plan on matching any quasi-reasonable contract for Mozgov (which I think is their plan), is there any reason for them to also bring in Perkins and have four centers on the roster?

In a hypothetical world where the Nuggets could acquire Perk for $2 million, they would, if for no other reason than to open up roster options for a trade.

Given a choice between Perk for $2m or Jason Collins for the minimum, I think they might take Collins.

I doubt it.  Perk is simply better than Collins, does more on offense (even if it's screen-setting), is a better rebounder, and brings toughness / leadership that Collins doesn't. 

The only reason a team would take Collins over a $2 million Perk is for PR purposes.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2013, 08:07:06 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

I doubt it.  Perk is simply better than Collins, does more on offense (even if it's screen-setting), is a better rebounder, and brings toughness / leadership that Collins doesn't. 

The only reason a team would take Collins over a $2 million Perk is for PR purposes.

Yeah this is borderline absurd. No team in their right mind would take Collins over Perkins. He might be declining but lets not start getting silly.

« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2013, 09:52:51 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

I think the difference in salary might offset the difference in talent for some teams that are paying luxury tax.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2013, 10:03:54 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288

Doc did say bwfore and after he came out that Collins was the best lockerroom guy/leader that he's ever had. Somehing pretty close to that.

Although I think it would just come down to who's better and clearly Perk is and would be preferred choise I think pretty clearly

« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2013, 10:16:07 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Worthless player.

One of the worst contracts in the NBA.

These are two completely different concepts.

Perk was top-20 in overall defense this year.  That's not worthless.

where are you getting this from Roy? I'd say his defense has fallen back considerably.

Mysynergysports.com

The numbers have changed a bit since I last looked at them, but Perk graded out as the 27th best defensive player in the NBA in terms of points allowed per possession.

Thanks, and yes he'd be a steal at 2 million per year.
I just feel his knees took so much away from him. The little lift he had that made his limited offensive game was ripped away after those injuries.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2013, 10:45:23 AM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
When an amnestied player gets a contract from his new team, is that money subtracted from what his old team has to pay him?  If so, Perk could do his new team a solid for signing for the minimum. 

« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2013, 12:16:53 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
When an amnestied player gets a contract from his new team, is that money subtracted from what his old team has to pay him?  If so, Perk could do his new team a solid for signing for the minimum.
Not sure what you mean. If he's claimed off amnesty waivers, the new team is responsible for what they bid, and the old team for the difference.

If he clears waivers, he's a regular FA and his salary is fully on his old team's books.

At least that's how I see it. Not sure how anyone is doing anyone a solid here.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2013, 01:37:32 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
is fab melo today better than perk?

« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2013, 01:39:21 PM »

Offline NocturnalRebel

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
Perkins ate tha bones.
Loyalty Is Royalty

« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2013, 04:19:37 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Oh, come on.  This is borderline trolling.

« Reply #58 on: May 19, 2013, 05:17:25 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
Take back Perk at 2 millions.
Good defense, great screens and great locker room guy. Please just don't give him the ball, that's all I ask.

« Reply #59 on: May 19, 2013, 05:51:40 AM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283

Oh, come on.  This is borderline trolling.
i have a feeling fab would post a positive PER at the very least