Author Topic: Perkins Finishes Playoffs with a Negative PER  (Read 6652 times)

Re: Perkins Finishes Playoffs with a Negative PER
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2013, 06:18:21 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25634
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Also, I'm really curious what is that team that will supposedly claim him off waivers (even at a reduced rate) -- they have to be under the cap, and I don't expect that a non-contender would possibly see value in Perkins. He's not a building block at this stage of his career.

Travis Outlaw was claimed off amnesty waivers.  Brendan Haywood was claimed off amnesty waivers.  There's no reason Perk wouldn't be chosen, as well.  At $1.5 million, or even $3 million, per season he would be an absolute steal.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2013, 06:32:02 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
I just realized how bad a negative PER means you are.

Small sample size for the loss. He had a ridiculous turnover percentage and from what I've gathered, a lot of his TOs weren't even credited to him. That's terrible
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2013, 07:51:47 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
While I have knocked Kendrick Perkins the player due mainly having to defend Ainge and Jeff green on here I would gladly welcome perk back to Boston as a sub big on a much much more friendly contract.  His leadership can't be statted or his man on low post defense.

If kg returns, shav continues to impress I'd love a big man like perk to have.  As a starter in the nba I do think he is done his lateral quickness/foot speed which was never good is really hurting him now.

In the end great guy and teammate to have okc just paid and paid and paid way to much for him

« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2013, 08:18:25 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Also, I'm really curious what is that team that will supposedly claim him off waivers (even at a reduced rate) -- they have to be under the cap, and I don't expect that a non-contender would possibly see value in Perkins. He's not a building block at this stage of his career.

Travis Outlaw was claimed off amnesty waivers.  Brendan Haywood was claimed off amnesty waivers.  There's no reason Perk wouldn't be chosen, as well.  At $1.5 million, or even $3 million, per season he would be an absolute steal.
Kwame Brown kept getting contracts bigger than that for a few years after all.

« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2013, 08:24:02 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
If Perk gets amnestied, some team will claim him and pay him $4 or 5 million a year. If he became available and none of the lotto teams wanted him, I'd love him back here in Boston.  A big rotation of KG, Perk, Sully and Bass is a solid group, and Perk's ability to muck up the paint is a boon to skinny, box-out averse bigs like KG and short quasi-bigs like Bass.  I'm sure Perk would love to be back here too if OKC parts with him. 

Certainly it would make one moody PG happy.     

« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2013, 09:04:29 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
If Perk gets amnestied, some team will claim him and pay him $4 or 5 million a year. If he became available and none of the lotto teams wanted him, I'd love him back here in Boston.  A big rotation of KG, Perk, Sully and Bass is a solid group, and Perk's ability to muck up the paint is a boon to skinny, box-out averse bigs like KG and short quasi-bigs like Bass.  I'm sure Perk would love to be back here too if OKC parts with him. 

Certainly it would make one moody PG happy.   
Scola only got 3 million and Brand got a bid of 2.1 million. Perkins would get a bid of around 2 million from a few teams I think.

« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2013, 09:11:24 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Perk wants the C's  ???

« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2013, 09:24:06 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Perk's ability to muck up the paint is a boon to skinny, box-out averse bigs like KG and short quasi-bigs like Bass.

Even with his boxing out he never averaged more than what 8 RPG at his best and 6 RPG for his career?  KG high was 13.9 RPG and 10 RPG for his career.   I guess tall skinny guys who can jump will out rebound a box out guy like Perk.

« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2013, 10:42:18 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Worthless player.

One of the worst contracts in the NBA.

These are two completely different concepts.

Perk was top-20 in overall defense this year.  That's not worthless.

where are you getting this from Roy? I'd say his defense has fallen back considerably.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2013, 10:56:01 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Perhaps, but that's all academic. There are only a handful of teams that are able to claim him. Who would be interested? Houston? Milwaukee? I just don't see it.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2013, 10:57:35 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Perhaps, but that's all academic. There are only a handful of teams that are able to claim him. Who would be interested? Houston? Milwaukee? I just don't see it.

I think Houston would love Perk as a vet minimum backup to Asik.

Even if nobody under the cap thought he could directly help, he's a trade asset at the very least.

« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2013, 11:02:20 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Is there a team in the entire league that wouldn't take Perk at around $2 million?  I can't think of one that couldn't use Perk's defense, toughness, leadership, and championship experience.

For instance, a great fit would be the Cavs.  Acquiring Perk would allow them to move Varejao for value, while still leaving them a tough-minded defensive presence who the young guys would respect. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2013, 11:06:01 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Is there a team in the entire league that wouldn't take Perk at around $2 million?  I can't think of one that couldn't use Perk's defense, toughness, leadership, and championship experience.

If the Nuggets don't trade either McGee or Koustos and plan on matching any quasi-reasonable contract for Mozgov (which I think is their plan), is there any reason for them to also bring in Perkins and have four centers on the roster?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2013, 11:08:15 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

If the Nuggets don't trade either McGee or Koustos and plan on matching any quasi-reasonable contract for Mozgov (which I think is their plan), is there any reason for them to also bring in Perkins and have four centers on the roster?

In a hypothetical world where the Nuggets could acquire Perk for $2 million, they would, if for no other reason than to open up roster options for a trade.

« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2013, 11:25:07 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Worthless player.

One of the worst contracts in the NBA.

These are two completely different concepts.

Perk was top-20 in overall defense this year.  That's not worthless.

where are you getting this from Roy? I'd say his defense has fallen back considerably.

Roy, is there a particular stat you're basing this on or is your opinion? (either way I just would find it shocking if h was a top 20 defender in the NBA.)
I think Perk's gotten away with some horrid D with his Boston reputation for quite some time now.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.