Author Topic: Take a shot on Amare?  (Read 1973 times)

Take a shot on Amare?
« on: May 16, 2013, 11:24:39 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1557
Amare is set to make 21.7 million next year and 23.4 million in 2014-15.  In other words massive dollars.  However, Boston isn't going to have enough cap space for a max deal until the summer of 2015 anyway.  The Knicks would love to move Amare and would sell him away for peanuts on the dollar (and for good reason).  Amare will likely be hurt much of his contract, but he has an incredible upside if he is healthy. 

Would you trade Bass (6.75), Terry (5.225), and Lee (5.225) for Amare?  If the Knicks threw in a future pick would that change your opinion.  What if Shumpert was included and Boston gave up someone else of value (like bradley).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Take a shot on Amare?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 12:01:10 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2418
If he didn't have that late season setback, I definitely would have. Now, I am not so sure.

I was really impressed with the growth in Amare's post game this season. A much more varied and improved offensive threat than we've seen from him in recent seasons. It is a game changer for him.

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 12:04:44 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I would love to have Shumpert and Stoudemire but there is NO way the Knicks trade us Shumpert, after how well he played in the playoffs.

I think the Celts are more likely to pull a deal off with the Lakers than with the Knicks.

I do however think Stoudemire can be had for either Pierce or Bass. Only problem with Amar'e is he's been hurt an awful lot the last couple years.

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 12:07:19 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
The better question

Take on a shot Amare?

The injury plus contract is not worth the chance.

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 12:10:07 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
If he didn't have that late season setback, I definitely would have. Now, I am not so sure.

I was really impressed with the growth in Amare's post game this season. A much more varied and improved offensive threat than we've seen from him in recent seasons. It is a game changer for him.
Sadly its come to late and his knees appear to be completely shot.

Guy just can't get through an NBA season on them.

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 12:36:03 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1557
I would love to have Shumpert and Stoudemire but there is NO way the Knicks trade us Shumpert, after how well he played in the playoffs.

I think the Celts are more likely to pull a deal off with the Lakers than with the Knicks.

I do however think Stoudemire can be had for either Pierce or Bass. Only problem with Amar'e is he's been hurt an awful lot the last couple years.
Depends on how badly they want Amare out of NY and how badly they want to shave salary.  I mean they might even be able to ship Lee or Terry to a team with a trade exception (like Memphis) to save even more dollars.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 01:16:03 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Trading for Stoudemire would be a tanking move and you'd want to receive draft picks as compensation for taking on that contract.  The Knicks can't offer anything to make it worth it.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 01:27:15 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
I always wanted amare to take over the helm when KG would be gone.

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 01:56:56 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 395
if DA does this, he better have some sick trading plans in store. You're not really getting a player back with Amare. You're getting a contract that will expire in X years.
- LilRip

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2013, 10:26:15 AM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
Trading for Stoudemire would be a tanking move and you'd want to receive draft picks as compensation for taking on that contract.  The Knicks can't offer anything to make it worth it.

+1

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2013, 10:57:23 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
The uproar would continue over going small and continuing to be terrible rebounding.

I do like taking these types of chances with high upside.

They aren't all in the same category but Amare, Bogut, Blatche, Bynum, Oden are all guys I would or would have liked to take a chance on. Just for the fact that they all could be elite players if healthy (minus blatche)

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2013, 11:29:03 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
too much money to gamble with.  he essentially kills any flexibility for 2 years and he's likely to be injured for 75% of the game

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2013, 12:01:18 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
We are already cash strapped and in the luxury with not much financial flexibility. No we wanna take on a guy who is going to make 44 million dollars over the next two years without a guarantee that he will be able to play healthy basketball...

For cheap maybe. For that price, no thanks.

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2013, 06:47:23 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
My guess is the trade would look more like

Amare and Shumpert
for
Pierce and Bass

The reason the NYK do this is to get out of the worst contract in the league right now. Stoudemire has $45M left on his deal, all guaranteed, and his contract is uninsurable. That is anathema to GMs, and more importantly, owners. Last summer NY tried to give Amare away. I imagine that the Knicks would at least listen to the offer and consider letting Shumpert go to rid themselves of Amare.

For the record I wouldn't even consider giving up any of our young assets to acquire STAT. I don't like his game and I don't think he'll be healthy. I'm way more interested in going after Pau Gasol.

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2013, 07:01:41 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
When has Amare had a net positive on the court??  When has his team been better with him playing 35 or more minutes?

It was a LONG time ago!!!!!

Those days are LONG gone.

Smitty77