Author Topic: Ideal offseason would be Pierce for Harrison Barnes and KG for Bledsoe/Jordan  (Read 3977 times)

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Pierce wouldn't get you Barnes.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Pierce wouldn't get you Barnes.
And KG wouldn't get you Bledsoe/Jordan.  That was a media myth perpetuated for internet traffic.  The Clippers were never interested in that deal... supposedly their (potentially former) coach was warm on the idea.

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I personally like the idea of trading Pierce to the Lakers for Gasol.

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
GSW values Barnes highly, and for good reason.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

Offline connor

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
I was entirely on the same page with you about Pierce for Barnes and I really thought we should have done everything we could at the deadline to try and convince Golden State they needed to make a move to go deep in the playoffs.

That being said, with the way the Warriors have played thus far in addition to Barnes seriously stepping up his numbers compared to his regular season average, I think this dream has finally died. No way they move Barnes with the way he is playing on a rookie deal.

I still think Golden State could be a landing spot for Pierce but it would probably be more of a package like:

Boston gets:
Ezeli, Biedrins (expiring), Jefferson (expiring) and 2014 first

Warriors get:
Pierce and Terry

Golden State brings in PP and his expiring deal to mentor Barnes and provide veteran leadership in exchange for their big expiring contracts, Ezeli who has upside and their 2014 first (which is probably going to be late in the round).
honestly I don't think they would even give up the first and maybe not even Ezeli.  I just don't see how that trade does anything for them as it doesn't help with their interior deficiencies or their defensive deficiencies in the back court.
Really?

I guess it depends on how other things shake out for Golden State in terms of bringing back guys like Landry/Jack and what other deals are out there for their expiring contracts, but I can't see how they'd turn that down.

No it doesn't address their major needs, but it is a HUGE increase of talent and experience for their team.

Pierce is still a top 5 SF at his age and a 16m expiring deal to boot. In exchange Golden State give up two guys with expiring contracts that they never play anyway, a below average 7 footer whose ceiling is probably a very solid rotational big and a 2014 pick which they hope is at the very back end of the first round. Thats really not that much to give up, short term or long term, for Pierce if they want to make a serious push next year.

If they considered Pierce for Barnes at all, then Pierce for Ezeli and a first is like offering them Pierce for half the original price. Barnes is lanky enough to pick up mins at PF (like Jeff Green) and Lee and Bogut can split the center duties.

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
I dislike the notion that Pierce/Garnett have little to no trade value. A couple of things to take note of:

-Pierce can be used as a massive salary dump for a team. I think the max savings would be 14.1M but I'd have to check to be sure. A contract like Pau Gasol would maximize this.

-Both Pierce and Garnett were in the top 40 players this season using the PER metric. That isn't to say they are both in their prime but it's not like we have Biedrens and Jefferson on our bench collecting $20M annually. PP and KG can compete at a high level and do more often than not.

-We've already had public offers for the services of both of these guys. I'm not saying we're going to get a lottery pick but something like a young role player and a late 1st rounder is not out of the question.

HOWEVER

I do think lottery level talent and picks are out of reach for us this year. This draft is heavy toward the middle of the first round anyway. I'm hoping for Gobert or Dieng. Danny has a good track record late in the first round. I'd move Pierce to get a reasonable role player and a mid-1st rounder. Same for KG.