Author Topic: Roy H.... your thoughts on Jeff Green now?  (Read 8599 times)

Re: Roy H.... your thoughts on Jeff Green now?
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2013, 03:42:17 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Green needs the ball in his hand attacking the retreating defense. I'm curious to see how that works with Rondo.
Eh, he's dangerous in transition but to both sides with some suspect decision making. I don't see how having a PG will cut down his transition chances all that much.

I think Pierce is the greatest impediment to him, same natural position and they both like many of the same areas of the floor.

Still it remains to be seen if he's a difference maker or a numbers hanger. Given how anemic our offense is/was, I'm skeptical he was the former. But all you can do is give him the minutes and the role, we've already given him the money.

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2013, 05:49:15 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
I have the same opinion as Roy, but I still say, because of Green's nature, he could easily go back to being the jeff Green of the first half of this season or the last year or so of his time in OKC, that being a very up and down inconsistent player.

I say trade him and his long term money and get back something valuable to build with that brings more than just scoring. This team needs interior defense, rebounding and a future post presence much more than they need anything Green brings to the table.

Who is this mystery player that we should or could get?

And is Green going to be able to net us him?

How many gyys in the league do what you want period? 3 maybe?

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2013, 09:52:05 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
It looked like we could have used 2 Jeff Greens to help playoff scoring.

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2013, 09:56:08 PM »

Offline ItStaysYang

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 25
It looked like we could have used 2 Jeff Greens to help playoff scoring.

Are you referring to Pierce and JG? Just kidding  ;D

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2013, 10:56:51 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Green had an impressive second half of the season, but the play-offs reminded me of why I am unable to completely buy in. He is way too passive and one dimensional. He's a player who doesn't do much outside of scoring and his scoring isn't very consistent. He disappeared for quarters at a time in the Knicks series and did the same all season.

Green has to work on being a presence on the floor through multiple facets of the game, especially rebounding. He also has to do a better job of scoring without the ball in the half-court(he needs more cutting, not just corner threes and Isos). Green is just a few improvements away from being a very nice player and potential building block.

IMO, Green at best can be the 3rd best player on a championship team but he's not there yet.

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2013, 11:38:21 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Green's attitude reminds me of Duncan. Anyone else feel that way?
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2013, 03:27:16 AM »

Offline krook

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 23

gerald wallace, rashad lewis, shawn marion type

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2013, 04:26:26 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Tim Duncan? Not remotely ... Tim is highly confident of himself, has some humility, a sense of humor, is relaxed on the court, a team-first guy ... I wouldn't give any of those attributes to Jeff. He's more of an Antione Walker, Gerald Wallace type, (though I think he's improving in most of those areas since being in Boston).
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2013, 09:34:43 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Nothing about Green reminds me of Duncan.  Duncan is a warrior who has put teams on his back and won championships.  Green reminds me more of Alex English/Dell Curry types.  He scores his points but just seams to go with the flow.

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2013, 09:38:53 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I'd be thrilled with Green's potential if last year was his first or second season.  After all these years, I see him as a pretty good scorer, and really that's about it.  I expect him to give a team about 17 points, decent defense, and nothing else.  He's ok.  I don't see him as a difference maker.

« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2013, 07:45:30 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
Haha.  I'm not sure these threads are allowed, but I'm happy to share.

I was really impressed with Green in the latter half of the season.  He was extremely inconsistent early, going months without stringing together three good (or bad) games in a row.

Over the last 20 games or so, though, Green was excellent.  As a starter, he averaged 20 ppg, 52% FG%, and 52% 3PT%.  Plus, he showed more aggression, and his defense was very good.  It's hard not to tip your cap to those numbers.

Now, I'm not sure that that level of efficiency is sustainable for Green, and I still don't see him having the superstar potential that others due.  I do think, though, that he out-performed his contract over the last quarter of the season, and I'm hoping that he can keep it up.

2012–13   Oklahoma City   
Games 78
MPG   25.1
FG%   .457
FT%   .611
REB:   6.0
AST:   1.4
STL:   .6
BLK:   1.1
PTS:   4.2

And OKC's end of the deal is living up to(and exceeding) the contract.  ;D
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2013, 07:51:39 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green
Tim Duncan? Not remotely ... Tim is highly confident of himself, has some humility, a sense of humor, is relaxed on the court, a team-first guy ... I wouldn't give any of those attributes to Jeff.

Nah, not Tim Duncan... Josephine Duncan! ;)

Jeff seems like a confident, team-first guy... and we all know he's relaxed (too relaxed?) on the court. Maybe not so much with the sense of humor.

I also noticed that Tim likes to wait a few seconds on the post before making a move. Jeff seems to do the same thing.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCniusIVtMw

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5717fB_csMQ

If it weren't for the jerseys and skin color, I might've thought they were the same person!

:P
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2013, 07:52:08 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Haha.  I'm not sure these threads are allowed, but I'm happy to share.

I was really impressed with Green in the latter half of the season.  He was extremely inconsistent early, going months without stringing together three good (or bad) games in a row.

Over the last 20 games or so, though, Green was excellent.  As a starter, he averaged 20 ppg, 52% FG%, and 52% 3PT%.  Plus, he showed more aggression, and his defense was very good.  It's hard not to tip your cap to those numbers.

Now, I'm not sure that that level of efficiency is sustainable for Green, and I still don't see him having the superstar potential that others due.  I do think, though, that he out-performed his contract over the last quarter of the season, and I'm hoping that he can keep it up.

2012–13   Oklahoma City   
Games 78
MPG   25.1
FG%   .457
FT%   .611
REB:   6.0
AST:   1.4
STL:   .6
BLK:   1.1
PTS:   4.2

And OKC's end of the deal is living up to(and exceeding) the contract.  ;D

?

Is it not possible to discuss Green without Perk? 

Because, if you'd like to rehash that particular thread for the ten thousandth time, I still wouldn't have made the Perk trade *during the season*.  Danny threw away a shot at a title, for a guy who really didn't contribute much in 2011 or 2012.  Instead of exploring a trade in the off-season, and perhaps landing a guy like David West, we instead wasted two seasons of KG and Pierce.  That trade blew up our chemistry, and blew a gaping hole in our team at center.  That's a void Danny still hasn't filled.

So, in terms of Green's play, I think he played very well during the latter part of this season, and I'm hopeful for him going forward.  Don't confuse that with thinking that Danny's fool-hardy deal to move a starting center with trade value for a backup small forward in the middle of a season where we had legitimate championship hopes was a good trade.  It wasn't, regardless of which player has more current value.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2013, 07:55:09 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green
So, in terms of Green's play, I think he played very well during the latter part of this season, and I'm hopeful for him going forward.

I'm hopeful for him going guard.

BAHAHAHA ;D ;D ;D

everybody:  ::)
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2013, 08:43:52 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
agree wif Roy.   much as I'm happy to have Green on this team........ I would have rather had that shot at the championship holding on to Perk.

I disagree with DA,  when your that close to a possible banner, you leave the team alone and play  ball.