Author Topic: Roy H.... your thoughts on Jeff Green now?  (Read 8600 times)

Roy H.... your thoughts on Jeff Green now?
« on: May 13, 2013, 09:03:29 PM »

Offline ItStaysYang

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 25
Your opinion on him was pretty staunch before he started playing better.

As the leading Celtic scorer in the playoffs (20.3), do you think any differently of him now? Namely - do you relent some of your views from before?

If yes or no, why? Just curious

Re: Roy H.... your thoughts on Jeff Green now?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 09:04:58 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Calling out posters is against site rules. Calling out the head mod....well, enjoy your vacation. LOL.

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 09:08:54 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Calling out posters is against site rules. Calling out the head mod....well, enjoy your vacation. LOL.

I dont think he called out Roy, just needs to be introduced to the PM feature of Celticsblog.

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 09:10:57 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Haha.  I'm not sure these threads are allowed, but I'm happy to share.

I was really impressed with Green in the latter half of the season.  He was extremely inconsistent early, going months without stringing together three good (or bad) games in a row.

Over the last 20 games or so, though, Green was excellent.  As a starter, he averaged 20 ppg, 52% FG%, and 52% 3PT%.  Plus, he showed more aggression, and his defense was very good.  It's hard not to tip your cap to those numbers.

Now, I'm not sure that that level of efficiency is sustainable for Green, and I still don't see him having the superstar potential that others due.  I do think, though, that he out-performed his contract over the last quarter of the season, and I'm hoping that he can keep it up.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 09:29:36 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200

I was really impressed with Green in the latter half of the season.  He was extremely inconsistent early, going months without stringing together three good (or bad) games in a row.

Over the last 20 games or so, though, Green was excellent.  As a starter, he averaged 20 ppg, 52% FG%, and 52% 3PT%.  Plus, he showed more aggression, and his defense was very good.  It's hard not to tip your cap to those numbers.

Now, I'm not sure that that level of efficiency is sustainable for Green, and I still don't see him having the superstar potential that others due.  I do think, though, that he out-performed his contract over the last quarter of the season, and I'm hoping that he can keep it up.

"...and that is why I was robbed in last year's CelticsBlog draft."

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 09:55:44 PM »

Offline ItStaysYang

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 25
No I wasn't trying to be argumentative or disrespectful - just want some public discussion, because of the long discussion we had in several prior threads.

Wasn't sure if your views from before would persist, but that was sensibly put. I don't particularly think he's going to be a superstar either. Excited to see how he plays next season though, now that he's more confident and because Rondo will be back

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 10:00:38 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
He was extremely inconsistent early, going months without stringing together three good (or bad) games in a row.

But don't the reports that surfaced later in the season, about his doctor saying that he wouldn't be at full strength until 18 months post-surgery, probably have you grading his early season struggles differently?

Side note: I recall saying that I would take Steph Curry over Rondo earlier in the year and was ridiculed by a couple of nameless posters about that. I would love to make a similar post and hear their thoughts now.

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 10:04:03 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I have the same opinion as Roy, but I still say, because of Green's nature, he could easily go back to being the jeff Green of the first half of this season or the last year or so of his time in OKC, that being a very up and down inconsistent player.

I say trade him and his long term money and get back something valuable to build with that brings more than just scoring. This team needs interior defense, rebounding and a future post presence much more than they need anything Green brings to the table.

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 10:09:49 PM »

Offline bobbyv

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 32
He was extremely inconsistent early, going months without stringing together three good (or bad) games in a row.

But don't the reports that surfaced later in the season, about his doctor saying that he wouldn't be at full strength until 18 months post-surgery, probably have you grading his early season struggles differently?

Side note: I recall saying that I would take Steph Curry over Rondo earlier in the year and was ridiculed by a couple of nameless posters about that. I would love to make a similar post and hear their thoughts now.
I still think Rondo is better  ;D

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 10:14:20 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Not particularly.  I doubt Green's heart issues had anything to do with his passivity, since this is a trait he's showed for most of his career.  Green wasn't playing worse than he traditionally has.  Rather, he was playing at the exact same level he has.

In the last third of the season or so, Green seriously stepped up his game.  He gets credit for that, but it doesn't mean that everything that came before that was the result of an injury.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2013, 03:12:27 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
I have the same opinion as Roy, but I still say, because of Green's nature, he could easily go back to being the jeff Green of the first half of this season or the last year or so of his time in OKC, that being a very up and down inconsistent player.

I say trade him and his long term money and get back something valuable to build with that brings more than just scoring. This team needs interior defense, rebounding and a future post presence much more than they need anything Green brings to the table.

If you look at Green's contract, his last year is a player's option for 9.2 million.

If next season, we decide to rebuild with Jeff Green a main cog of the offense (along with Rondo), there could be a major chance Jeff and his agent declines that option and tests FA.

Once the rebuild happens, we may not be a good team, record wise, but there's a decent chance Jeff Green will still get his numbers and be productive statistically.

So in essence, Jeff Green may only have 2 more seasons with the Celtics, including next. After these 2 seasons, Green will be 29 y/o and depending on his play, he may just so incline test FA and see if he can sign a much larger long term contract.

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2013, 03:20:54 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

I agree 100%. I think Green is the type of player you want to acquire after you have the #1 and #2 pieces for a championship contender.

He might be just good enough to keep you from ever getting those guys if you don't already have them, however.

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2013, 03:26:39 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

If you look at Green's contract, his last year is a player's option for 9.2 million.

If next season, we decide to rebuild with Jeff Green a main cog of the offense (along with Rondo), there could be a major chance Jeff and his agent declines that option and tests FA.

Once the rebuild happens, we may not be a good team, record wise, but there's a decent chance Jeff Green will still get his numbers and be productive statistically.

So in essence, Jeff Green may only have 2 more seasons with the Celtics, including next. After these 2 seasons, Green will be 29 y/o and depending on his play, he may just so incline test FA and see if he can sign a much larger long term contract.
So?

The C's have him under control for 2 more years and can always match via bird rights offers he gets. Given the limits of extensions in the new CBA there really isn't a reason to offer him an extension.

If he plays at such a high level to earn a new contract then such an extension will be below his asking price probably. He'd be opting out either way to sign a new deal even if he was staying with the C's.

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2013, 03:28:08 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I think the Jeff Green that we saw in the 2nd half would be the Jeff Green we will see from here on out. He'll have less touches with Rondo coming back, but I think he'll right there averaging 15-17 points a game, shooting fairly efficiently. All I know is, that overpaid contract argument with him before, you can't use that now.

PS.

Not that I'm encouraging calling out posters but I think this thread should be for vinnie, no?  ;D

He's the biggest Green detractor on the site.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2013, 03:36:46 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Green needs the ball in his hand attacking the retreating defense. I'm curious to see how that works with Rondo.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird