Author Topic: Hawks To Seek Sign-And-Trade Scenarios For Josh Smith?  (Read 6613 times)

Re: Hawks To Seek Sign-And-Trade Scenarios For Josh Smith?
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2013, 06:56:04 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
The Atlanta Hawks enter the offseason with Josh Smith's free agency amongst their most pressing issues.

The Hawks will likely seek sign-and-trade packages involving Smith in order to receive assets in return.

The Hawks also have cap space and are expected to pursue Dwight Howard.

Smith will be an unrestricted free agent.

Via Gary Washburn/Boston Globe

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1250161

so what's the most you would give up to get him ?

-I'd trade PP to get him

-Lee , Sully and filler (maybe a pick)

- Bass , Bradley and filler

I'd trade him if we were paying him at max Rondo type money.

We al know he will be WELL over that. I'm picturing another joe johnson/Rashard Lewis contract

I dont think that is possible with the new CBA
With the new CBA and being a ten year vet next year, Smith is eligible, under a sign and trade contract of receiving a 5 year/$100+ million contract as a max. With the Bird rights in place Atlanta can sign him to a max deal starting at $19.1 million a year.

I'm not sure that is correct.  He'll only have 9 years of experience, so his max contract will be at the 30% of the cap level, instead of 35% for a 10+ vet.  This year that would have been about $16.4 mil.  Next year I'd bet it's a bit higher with cap inflation, but it's not at the $19.1 mil level.  Josh Smith's max is much less than Dwight Howard's, for instance.  (As an aside, Rondo will also be a 9 year vet when he next hits free agency as well.)
Oops. Did I miscount his years played?

Then if he has just 9 years, this is right.
Smith and Howard were in the same draft, so they have the same years.  They have both played 9 seasons and would be entering their 10th years.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2013, 07:30:41 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Can we trade our first rounder this year as part of a sign and trade for Smith?  would you do it?
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2013, 07:43:25 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Can we trade our first rounder this year as part of a sign and trade for Smith?  would you do it?

I would do it as long as we don't give up Sullinger. Bradley, Bass, and our 1st for Josh Smith.

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2013, 07:46:07 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
funny, when you follow the links back to the source, it is from an article 2 days ago that basically was just Gary's educated guess of what they'll do

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2013/05/12/this-summer-may-danny-ainge-most-critical-with-celtics/ydUo8geFXRarAu6THDgMpM/story.html?s_campaign=sm_tw

Atlanta coach Larry Drew is awaiting his fate, but with the Hawks having eight free agents, expect GM Danny Ferry to make wholesale changes. And the Hawks likely won’t allow Josh Smith to walk without compensation. To attract more suitors, the club likely will offer Smith on sign-and-trade deals. However, Smith is seeking the maximum, and interested teams may decrease

worth discussing, but not really new news I think
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2013, 08:21:44 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Not sure who has cap space this summer but is ANY team willing to give Smith the max? I hope not because I wouldn't mind Smith in green but I have zero interest if he's making max money
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2013, 08:22:46 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
he ain't coming to celtics

PERIOD
coming from the guy who also started the nonsense overpay-for-Josh-Smith thread "Pierce Bradley Sully Crawfors 1st round pick for Josh Smith?"

::)  ::)   ::)  ::)

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2013, 08:29:08 AM »

Offline krook

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 23

PERIOD
coming from the guy who also started the nonsense overpay-for-Josh-Smith thread "Pierce Bradley Sully Crawfors 1st round pick for Josh Smith?"

have you seen all my post saying no to josh smith?...
i don't want this guy at all, the thread i made is to see if fans really wants smith, because if im atlanta's GM im gonna ask for talents and picks...aging pierce for smith is not enough, bass who can't even rebounds with 3 years awful contract...i'd rather give smith the max, AGREE?

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2013, 08:30:15 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816

PERIOD

i don't want this guy at all, the thread i made is to see if fans really wants smith, because if im atlanta's GM im gonna ask for talents and picks...aging pierce for smith is not enough, bass who can't even rebounds with 3 years awful contract...i'd rather give smith the max, AGREE?

No.  Atlanta will not give Smith the Max no matter WHAT!
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2013, 09:11:55 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
Josh Smith is a better and more impactful player than Jeff Green (who currently makes 9m/yr). I'd take Smith for the price tag of around 12-13mm. it's not quite max but it's pretty fair, i think.

i don't know what trade we can pull off though. i definitely do not want to trade Pierce, (for sentimental reasons). Maybe green, sullinger, lee and a 2nd rounder for smith and a 2nd rounder?
- LilRip

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2013, 09:15:23 AM »

Offline krook

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 23

PERIOD

No.  Atlanta will not give Smith the Max no matter WHAT!

then houston might take him pair with harden and lure dwight

« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2013, 09:50:49 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
The Atlanta Hawks enter the offseason with Josh Smith's free agency amongst their most pressing issues.

The Hawks will likely seek sign-and-trade packages involving Smith in order to receive assets in return.

-I'd trade PP to get him

We al know he will be WELL over that. I'm picturing another joe johnson/Rashard Lewis contract

With the new CBA and being a ten year vet next year, Smith is eligible, under a sign and trade contract of receiving a 5 year/$100+ million contract as a max. With the Bird rights in place Atlanta can sign him to a max deal starting at $19.1 million a year.

I'm not sure that is correct.  He'll only have 9 years of experience, so his max contract will be at the 30% of the cap level, instead of 35% for a 10+ vet.  This year that would have been about $16.4 mil.  Next year I'd bet it's a bit higher with cap inflation, but it's not at the $19.1 mil level.  Josh Smith's max is much less than Dwight Howard's, for instance.  (As an aside, Rondo will also be a 9 year vet when he next hits free agency as well.)

Smith and Howard were in the same draft, so they have the same years.  They have both played 9 seasons and would be entering their 10th years.

Howard's already above the normal 9-year max salary with his current deal, so his max salary next year is a 5% increase to his current salary, and is therefore above Smith's, at $20.5 million.

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2013, 10:38:18 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420

PERIOD

I agree someone is going to get crazy with money burning a hope in their pocket and dump a max salary on smith. I just don't see the celtics being player for smith. Danny isn't giving max money to a flawed boarder line Allstar.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2013, 11:57:45 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

-I'd trade PP to get him

Howard's already above the normal 9-year max salary with his current deal, so his max salary next year is a 5% increase to his current salary, and is therefore above Smith's, at $20.5 million.
I know that, but the way you made it seem that they didn't have the same level of experience, which isn't the case.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2013, 04:59:26 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

-I'd trade PP to get him

I know that, but the way you made it seem that they didn't have the same level of experience, which isn't the case.

My bad.  I wasn't trying to make it sound that way.  Just trying to point out that there are different values of "max", because most people probably assume that it's the same dollar figure for every player when debating whether player A is worth a max salary.  Dwight Howard was the first pending free agent that popped into my head who could receive a salary greater than Josh Smith, so I didn't look up his experience, because I knew it didn't matter for his salary.