Author Topic: Hawks To Seek Sign-And-Trade Scenarios For Josh Smith?  (Read 6612 times)

Hawks To Seek Sign-And-Trade Scenarios For Josh Smith?
« on: May 13, 2013, 07:51:59 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
The Atlanta Hawks enter the offseason with Josh Smith's free agency amongst their most pressing issues.

The Hawks will likely seek sign-and-trade packages involving Smith in order to receive assets in return.

The Hawks also have cap space and are expected to pursue Dwight Howard.

Smith will be an unrestricted free agent.

Via Gary Washburn/Boston Globe

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1250161

so what's the most you would give up to get him ?

-I'd trade PP to get him

-Lee , Sully and filler (maybe a pick)

- Bass , Bradley and filler

Re: Hawks To Seek Sign-And-Trade Scenarios For Josh Smith?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 08:01:35 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
The Atlanta Hawks enter the offseason with Josh Smith's free agency amongst their most pressing issues.

The Hawks will likely seek sign-and-trade packages involving Smith in order to receive assets in return.

-I'd trade PP to get him

I'd trade him if we were paying him at max Rondo type money.

We al know he will be WELL over that. I'm picturing another joe johnson/Rashard Lewis contract

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 08:57:20 PM »

Offline ronaldo943

• NFT
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 513

-I'd trade PP to get him

We al know he will be WELL over that. I'm picturing another joe johnson/Rashard Lewis contract

I dont think that is possible with the new CBA

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 08:58:24 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
Would he take a pay cut to play with his high school pal?  ;D

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 09:15:53 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

-I'd trade PP to get him

With the new CBA and being a ten year vet next year, Smith is eligible, under a sign and trade contract of receiving a 5 year/$100+ million contract as a max. With the Bird rights in place Atlanta can sign him to a max deal starting at $19.1 million a year.

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 09:37:05 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Bass, Bradley, and filler for Smith. Sign a shooter in the offseason as well. Sully backing up Josh Smith will be nice!

I'm good with that.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 10:19:57 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
I think what is often lost in the Josh Smith discourse is that hw told Atlanta that he wanted a max extension and I don't really blame him for a few reasons.

1.Those fans have been awful to him.Sure he jacks up shots but what other choices has he had? Booing him every time he takes a mid range. Not showing up to support their team when they're top 5 in the east. If you want me to continue to play hard for this crowd well then CTC.

2. Joe Johnson got one. In my 4 years as a hoops fan Joe Johnson recieved the worst contract I've ever scene. The ownership was clearly inept enough to overpay through the nose so why should Smith give any type of hometown discount.

3. He may not be a max player, but at times he plays liks one. Josh Smith is always a fantasy target of mine for his mastery of Bill Simmons favorite stat "stocks". He is one of only a few players in the league capable of averaging over 2 blocks and 2 steals per game. Smith is unique and has the capability to be the second best player on a championship team.

Now if Atlanta decided to break the bank and over pay him I think that he would resign. Max money is a status symbol in the NBA, but I do beleive that at this point he wants a great team, with a great crowd, that will make use of his talents. I think he'll sign with us for around Rondo money and never look back.

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 10:50:22 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
As Nick points out, his 'max' could equate to over 20 mill / year and I just don't see it. I understand that he wants to be paid, but having never been an all-star [obviously he has been quite close], I don't see him being paid on potential anymore. If he receives more than his current 13 mill / year, I will be a little surprised. I just don't know who all of these teams are lining up for a chance at the 'great' Josh Smith.

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 10:55:02 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5349
  • Thumper of the BASS!
LOL

not worth the dough

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 11:41:24 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

-I'd trade PP to get him

With the new CBA and being a ten year vet next year, Smith is eligible, under a sign and trade contract of receiving a 5 year/$100+ million contract as a max. With the Bird rights in place Atlanta can sign him to a max deal starting at $19.1 million a year.

I'm not sure that is correct.  He'll only have 9 years of experience, so his max contract will be at the 30% of the cap level, instead of 35% for a 10+ vet.  This year that would have been about $16.4 mil.  Next year I'd bet it's a bit higher with cap inflation, but it's not at the $19.1 mil level.  Josh Smith's max is much less than Dwight Howard's, for instance.  (As an aside, Rondo will also be a 9 year vet when he next hits free agency as well.)

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2013, 11:56:16 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

-I'd trade PP to get him

I'm not sure that is correct.  He'll only have 9 years of experience, so his max contract will be at the 30% of the cap level, instead of 35% for a 10+ vet.  This year that would have been about $16.4 mil.  Next year I'd bet it's a bit higher with cap inflation, but it's not at the $19.1 mil level.  Josh Smith's max is much less than Dwight Howard's, for instance.  (As an aside, Rondo will also be a 9 year vet when he next hits free agency as well.)
Oops. Did I miscount his years played?

Then if he has just 9 years, this is right.

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2013, 12:04:23 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I just don't know who all of these teams are lining up for a chance at the 'great' Josh Smith.

"While the Bucks, Phoenix and Brooklyn pursued Josh Smith right up until the trading deadline, Smith told me Boston, Washington, Philadelphia and even New Orleans were in the mix." - Racine Journal-Times

I am assuming most of those teams were interested in the trade with the intention of being willing to hand Smith a big contract.

So, imagine if the Wizards offered two first-round picks and the contract of Emeka Okafor (assuming he doesn't exercise his early termination option and give up almost $15 million for next season).  Can the Celtics offer a more attractive deal than that?  Can you say that there is no chance the Wizards make that trade and give Smith the max?

"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2013, 12:07:32 AM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
if pp came back for the mle, best the c's could offer smith is 10-12 million, and that's if the hawks would accept bass+bradley+filler for him, assuming the cap goes up 1-2 million. The c's would probably have to add a pick.

10-12 mil for j smoove would be a good deal and max i would be willing to pay.

if paul doesn't wanna play in boston for mle money, or they don't waive him, then i doubt they be able to fit him below the apron, sign and trades can only happen for team who stay below the apron.

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2013, 12:11:53 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I just don't know who all of these teams are lining up for a chance at the 'great' Josh Smith.

"While the Bucks, Phoenix and Brooklyn pursued Josh Smith right up until the trading deadline, Smith told me Boston, Washington, Philadelphia and even New Orleans were in the mix." - Racine Journal-Times

I am assuming most of those teams were interested in the trade with the intention of being willing to hand Smith a big contract.

So, imagine if the Wizards offered two first-round picks and the contract of Emeka Okafor (assuming he doesn't exercise his early termination option and give up almost $15 million for next season).  Can the Celtics offer a more attractive deal than that?  Can you say that there is no chance the Wizards make that trade and give Smith the max?

Assuming Josh Smith wanted to sign with the Wizards.  There are enough teams with cap room to leverage the Hawks to trading him to a team he wants to sign with in an S&T.  They have some power, in that if they don't like the players involved they can refuse to trade him to his #1 choice, but they don't have all the leverage.

But yes, I think teams will be lining up to sign him, including the C's.

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2013, 01:19:40 AM »

Offline krook

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 23
he ain't coming to celtics

PERIOD