Author Topic: discuss your grilling triumphs, failures, and plans here  (Read 34563 times)

Re: discuss your grilling triumphs, failures, and plans here
« Reply #60 on: May 21, 2013, 10:01:44 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Redz speaks the truth! All hail the 3-3-2-2 method for swordfish steaks!!!

Nice!
Wicked.

This thread needs _WAY_ more pictures btw. C'mon guys. It's 2013. Instagram it up a bit.

How thick of a cut was that IP?  Ideally you want almost an inch (though they get pricy in a hurry if you're serving more than a couple).

Yeah, they were about an inch and a quarter (although Im terrible at doing this). $9.99 a pound too, so not something I can splurge on too often.

Soooooo worth it though. You gotta try it on charcoal Redz. It really took to the smoke.

I'm too lazy for charcoal!

A lot of the grilling I do is for the family at dinner time, and it's just so much easier to give a couple of clicks and go with the heat.

I do need a new grill though.  This one is in rough shape.  It's still cooking pretty well, but it is old, and falling apart. 
Yup

« Reply #61 on: May 22, 2013, 12:23:40 PM »

Online chicagoceltic

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 208
IP I'm willing to give that eggplant a go, but in my book the eggplant parm is really the only true option for eggplant!

Are they almost like a steak with those dimensions?

And I went ahead order Charcuterie by Michael Rhulman.  My wife is more the briner and pork rub creator.  I just do the mastery on the grill from there.
Redz, it is a great book but I warn you it may cost you as you're going to want new toys to make things like bacon, sausage etc...
Pub Draft

Sam N Ella's

At the Bar: The Most Interesting Man in the World
At the Door:  Hugh Hefner
On Stage:  O.A.R., Louis C.K., EDGAR! Special Drinks:  Irish Car Bomb, Martinis On Tap: Lite, Beamish, 3 Floyds Seasonal, Chimay Grand Reserve, Spotted Cow

« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2013, 03:56:05 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #63 on: May 24, 2013, 04:08:13 PM »

Online chicagoceltic

• Bill Walton
www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2013/05/24/186434261/the-great-charcoal-debate-briquettes-vs-lumps
This is interesting.
I am firmly entrenched in the lump camp.  You can sear at much higher temps and it burns cleaner.  The site they mention at the end of the article (Naked Whiz) is filled with great info!  Tho it will make you want to splurge and upgrade your grill/smoker to a Big Green Egg...
Pub Draft

Sam N Ella's

On Stage:  O.A.R., Louis C.K., EDGAR! Special Drinks:  Irish Car Bomb, Martinis On Tap: Lite, Beamish, 3 Floyds Seasonal, Chimay Grand Reserve, Spotted Cow

« Reply #64 on: May 24, 2013, 04:11:43 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2013/05/24/186434261/the-great-charcoal-debate-briquettes-vs-lumps
This is interesting.
I am firmly entrenched in the lump camp.  You can sear at much higher temps and it burns cleaner.  The sits they mention at the end of the article (Naked Whiz) is filled with great info!  Tho it will make you want to splurge and upgrade your grill/smoker to a Big Green Egg...

Bah, screw that mess!

I do love lump charcoal but as the article says..I just cannot regulate to save my life with it. If I'm cooking anything that requires constant low heat, its just a poor option compared with briquettes.

That said, I always have some for if I'm cooking steak, bscb, or anything that needs hot heat. In the same way that briquetts win the long-burn, lump wins the short handily.

My own personal 'test' to make sure that my grill is hot enough: If you can put a chicken breast on it unoiled right on top of the coals and it doesn't stick. That's how you know..

« Reply #65 on: May 24, 2013, 04:22:31 PM »

Online chicagoceltic

• Bill Walton
This is interesting.
I am firmly entrenched in the lump camp.  You can sear at much higher temps and it burns cleaner.  The sits they mention at the end of the article (Naked Whiz) is filled with great info!  Tho it will make you want to splurge and upgrade your grill/smoker to a Big Green Egg...

Bah, screw that mess!

I do love lump charcoal but as the article says..I just cannot regulate to save my life with it. If I'm cooking anything that requires constant low heat, its just a poor option compared with briquettes.

That said, I always have some for if I'm cooking steak, bscb, or anything that needs hot heat. In the same way that briquetts win the long-burn, lump wins the short handily.

My own personal 'test' to make sure that my grill is hot enough: If you can put a chicken breast on it unoiled right on top of the coals and it doesn't stick. That's how you know..
It is a pain in the rear but when I do low and slow smoking I will sort through lump for larger more consistent pieces and then it is a bit easier to regulate temp.  I figure if I am going to spend 5-18 hours smoking something what is 5-10 minutes and dirty hands really cost me?  When we redo our backyard my wife is allowing me (yes allowing me) to get a Big Green Egg which will hold low temps (and reach lava like temps) much better than my current smoker so then I will not worry as much about sorting lump.
Pub Draft

Sam N Ella's

« Reply #66 on: May 25, 2013, 02:10:51 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
fish the best in grill

p.s. barracuda and macarela and great

vela................
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #67 on: May 29, 2013, 12:11:19 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Apparently you absolutely can cook a pizza in a cast iron skillet directly in a camp fire in the rain.  A mighty good pizza at that.  Darn 40 degree rainy Memorial day weekend NY weather.

« Reply #68 on: May 29, 2013, 12:31:50 AM »

Offline paidthecost2betheboss

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 40

Prime Rib.

Melt in tha mouth goodness

« Reply #69 on: May 29, 2013, 01:40:28 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Prime Rib.

That looks insanely good. Mind-blowingly delicious.

Which brings me to the thing I love and hate about cooking and by default grilling in general: it is really hard to regulate temperate to do the really amazing things.

I've made amazingly delicious prime rib before. Like prime rib you'd have from a great restauraunt, likely better than what you'd get from a good restaurant, expensive and time-consuming sauces notwithstanding. You can do it too; all You need is to buy a sickeningly expensive cut of meat, then you need lots of beef broth, a big, somewhat deep pan with a well-elevated oven rack, and time...lots and lots of time, and a leave-in meat thermometer. Then you set your meat above the pan elevated on a rack at least 3 inches, put the beef broth in the pan, set your oven to 200 degrees and wait til you hit 125 on your thermometer. There's a little more to do involving reverse-searing, but that's the basic method.

But to cook it over coals on a spit and know exactly when you take the meat off...that needs a level of innate knowledge, patience, and focus I do not have.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 01:49:59 AM by IndeedProceed »

« Reply #70 on: May 29, 2013, 02:24:57 AM »

• Al Horford

Prime Rib.

That looks insanely good. Mind-blowingly delicious.

But to cook it over coals on a spit and know exactly when you take the meat off...that needs a level of innate knowledge, patience, and focus I do not have.

Thanks man! I had the rig special built (rotissere')and used my experience to design the layout where the heat would be directed but allowed plenty of other ways around the meat. This difficulty level was lost on everyone besides a Chef who said he was blown. He watched me eye it and rotate it and adjust the coals. It fed 40 Japanese folks. My greatest triumph by far. The bars were adjustable and it was begun at 18" but once the coals went white I dropped it to 13" and kept it there untin the last 15 minutes when I went 8" and rotated 30degrees every 3 minutes. The Japanese were saying "It's like expensive sushi...it just melts on your tongue"

Oh yeah.......mmmmmm. The stress was well worth the words of appreciation  ;D

« Reply #71 on: May 29, 2013, 02:37:18 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
So you had the cement blocks to reflect the heat? Well played!

What kind of cut did you use/how much did it cost/how heavy was it?

« Reply #72 on: May 29, 2013, 04:44:26 AM »

• Al Horford
So you had the cement blocks to reflect the heat? Well played!

What kind of cut did you use/how much did it cost/how heavy was it?

It was "Prime Grade" The best cut and special ordered from Miyazaki in Japan. It was 19.6lb at 22 dollars per pound( 2,200yen). This stuff is really expensive in Japan. It was worth it. Might be the only time I've had Prime grade? It's really melt in your mouth. It was worth it.

The rig was built with scraps by a boat welder who is my student. I needed hose clamps to hold it in rotational position but besides that it worked flawlessly.

« Reply #73 on: May 29, 2013, 07:31:23 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Venison burgers the other day. They take just a leeetle longer

« Reply #74 on: May 29, 2013, 07:45:32 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
new grill worked beautifully - we made the standard burgers and dogs one night and another night made pizzas on the grill
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)