Author Topic: discuss your grilling triumphs, failures, and plans here  (Read 19810 times)

Re: discuss your grilling triumphs, failures, and plans here
« Reply #90 on: June 03, 2013, 09:09:02 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1019
What brand is the smoker?

Weber. Smokey Mountain ala 1999ish.

Holds up to a 28lb turkey on top (if you curl the cooking trays) and/or 20-22lb ham or Turkey on the inner part.

If I use the water tray it adds to the cooking time but softens the meat. I usually take out the water tray for the last 2 hours and stoke the fire to crisp the skin and them lather it with butter to give it the dark brown color I like. I think you could save some bones getting a used one. It's pretty sturdy and besides maybe changing the meat thermometer it's good to go. I had a car back into this and it left a really tiny dent..the mark on the car was bigger so I was fine.

Oh man, those things are freakin awesome.  My parents have one (roughly same year), but they never use the dang thing anymore. Said I could have it whenever I want.

Only one big problem; I'd have to drive to NC to pick it up.  Not interested in a 1600 mile round trip just for a smoker.

« Reply #91 on: June 03, 2013, 09:59:52 PM »

Offline prov1ml34

• Gordon Hayward
  • Tommy Points: 68
Does anyone have a Traeger Wood Pellet Grill?  Thing is freaking awesome. I got one last year for Fathers Day. You can't mess anything up on it and everything turns out perfect.
DKC Dallas Mavericks                         
PG: Darren Collison
SG: OJ Mayo
SF: Jae Crowder
PF: Dirk Nowitzki/Jackie Carmichael
C: Brandan Wright/Rudy Gobert
Coach - Rick Carlisle

« Reply #92 on: June 03, 2013, 10:31:52 PM »

Offline paidthecost2betheboss

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 40
What brand is the smoker?

Weber. Smokey Mountain ala 1999ish.

Only one big problem; I'd have to drive to NC to pick it up.  Not interested in a 1600 mile round trip just for a smoker.

Made of steel...it will beat the **** out of any other goods in the shipping truck........crushed boxes everywhere in that truck but the smoker will be fine ;D get it shipped.

« Reply #93 on: June 03, 2013, 10:41:27 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2276
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I've wanted a smokey mountain smoker for years now but they're so darned expensive!!

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #94 on: June 18, 2013, 10:25:21 AM »

Offline paidthecost2betheboss

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 40

I just paid  500 for the shaved ice machine and with the purchase of the generator I can now make shaved ice anywhere anytime. Industrial grade. I can make 100 in a row without heat issues. I'm having a BBQ next month and this ...this is gonna help ;D

« Reply #95 on: October 08, 2013, 02:25:13 PM »

Online eja117

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1086
Hey how often do you guys buy new grates? Mine don't look so great after about 2 years.   I did a lot of stuff with it this year. Venison. Linguica. Swordfish. Tuna. Donuts. Fruit. Sweet potato puffs.  Pork Chops. Steak medalions. Lamburgers.

« Reply #96 on: October 08, 2013, 02:31:51 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1117
Hey how often do you guys buy new grates? Mine don't look so great after about 2 years.   I did a lot of stuff with it this year. Venison. Linguica. Swordfish. Tuna. Donuts. Fruit. Sweet potato puffs.  Pork Chops. Steak medalions. Lamburgers.
I use cast iron. They require a good scrubbing with salt and oil once a season, but are practically eternal.
(Formerly) managing Rilski Sportist to glory at http://www.buzzerbeater.com

« Reply #97 on: October 08, 2013, 02:47:37 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
I've wanted a smokey mountain smoker for years now but they're so darned expensive!!

I've gone back and forth.  I need a smoker of some kind, and I know the WSM is about as good as it gets if you're talking about spending a couple/three hundred bucks. 

But, I've got a friend who swears by his (similarly-priced) electric smoker - which is electric, but that means he can cold-smoke his own bacon for 12 hours or whatever it needs with essentially no work.  Remote-controlled, even!  I also love making beer and drinking smoked beers, and being able to cold-smoke (~120=ish) is ideally for smoking barley malt.