Author Topic: discuss your grilling triumphs, failures, and plans here  (Read 34552 times)

Re: discuss your grilling triumphs, failures, and plans here
« Reply #90 on: June 03, 2013, 09:09:02 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
What brand is the smoker?

Weber. Smokey Mountain ala 1999ish.

Holds up to a 28lb turkey on top (if you curl the cooking trays) and/or 20-22lb ham or Turkey on the inner part.

If I use the water tray it adds to the cooking time but softens the meat. I usually take out the water tray for the last 2 hours and stoke the fire to crisp the skin and them lather it with butter to give it the dark brown color I like. I think you could save some bones getting a used one. It's pretty sturdy and besides maybe changing the meat thermometer it's good to go. I had a car back into this and it left a really tiny dent..the mark on the car was bigger so I was fine.

Oh man, those things are freakin awesome.  My parents have one (roughly same year), but they never use the dang thing anymore. Said I could have it whenever I want.

Only one big problem; I'd have to drive to NC to pick it up.  Not interested in a 1600 mile round trip just for a smoker.

« Reply #91 on: June 03, 2013, 09:59:52 PM »

Offline prov1ml34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 68
Does anyone have a Traeger Wood Pellet Grill?  Thing is freaking awesome. I got one last year for Fathers Day. You can't mess anything up on it and everything turns out perfect.
DKC Dallas Mavericks                         
PG: Darren Collison
SG: OJ Mayo
SF: Jae Crowder
PF: Dirk Nowitzki/Jackie Carmichael
C: Brandan Wright/Rudy Gobert
Coach - Rick Carlisle

« Reply #92 on: June 03, 2013, 10:31:52 PM »

Offline paidthecost2betheboss

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 40
What brand is the smoker?

Weber. Smokey Mountain ala 1999ish.

Only one big problem; I'd have to drive to NC to pick it up.  Not interested in a 1600 mile round trip just for a smoker.

Made of steel...it will beat the Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. out of any other goods in the shipping truck........crushed boxes everywhere in that truck but the smoker will be fine ;D get it shipped.

« Reply #93 on: June 03, 2013, 10:41:27 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I've wanted a smokey mountain smoker for years now but they're so darned expensive!!

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #94 on: June 18, 2013, 10:25:21 AM »

Offline paidthecost2betheboss

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 40

I just paid  500 for the shaved ice machine and with the purchase of the generator I can now make shaved ice anywhere anytime. Industrial grade. I can make 100 in a row without heat issues. I'm having a BBQ next month and this ...this is gonna help ;D

« Reply #95 on: October 08, 2013, 02:25:13 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Hey how often do you guys buy new grates? Mine don't look so great after about 2 years.   I did a lot of stuff with it this year. Venison. Linguica. Swordfish. Tuna. Donuts. Fruit. Sweet potato puffs.  Pork Chops. Steak medalions. Lamburgers.

« Reply #96 on: October 08, 2013, 02:31:51 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Hey how often do you guys buy new grates? Mine don't look so great after about 2 years.   I did a lot of stuff with it this year. Venison. Linguica. Swordfish. Tuna. Donuts. Fruit. Sweet potato puffs.  Pork Chops. Steak medalions. Lamburgers.
I use cast iron. They require a good scrubbing with salt and oil once a season, but are practically eternal.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #97 on: October 08, 2013, 02:47:37 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
I've wanted a smokey mountain smoker for years now but they're so darned expensive!!

I've gone back and forth.  I need a smoker of some kind, and I know the WSM is about as good as it gets if you're talking about spending a couple/three hundred bucks. 

But, I've got a friend who swears by his (similarly-priced) electric smoker - which is electric, but that means he can cold-smoke his own bacon for 12 hours or whatever it needs with essentially no work.  Remote-controlled, even!  I also love making beer and drinking smoked beers, and being able to cold-smoke (~120°=ish) is ideally for smoking barley malt.