Author Topic: 2015 Free Agent Class is loaded, and C's will have money to spend!  (Read 10337 times)

Re: 2015 Free Agent Class is loaded, and C's will have money to spend!
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2013, 04:27:50 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
guys for the last time FREE AGENTS DO NOT LIKE TO COME HERE!!!  ::)

Not counting Courtney Lee, the following free agents signed with Boston before the 2012-13 season:

Darko Milicic
Leandro Barbosa
Jeff Green
Jason Collins
Jamar Smith
Dionte Christmas
Keyon Dooling
Jason Terry
Kevin Garnett
Brandon Bass
Chris Wilcox

He meant good Free Agents. Good Free Agents do not like to come here via free agency from other teams.

Exactly, no one worth their weight in gold wants to come here.

when have the c's ever had a chance to offer a max contract to a free agent ?

Just because it hasn't happened, doesn't mean it can't or won't .  The C's have never had the opportunity to even get turned down , because they have never had the cap space.

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2013, 04:34:20 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
BTW, based on today's price of gold per ounce, a 200-lb player would receive a salary starting at about $4.5 mil.

So, I'm pretty sure the Celtics have paid someone their weight in gold.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2013, 05:44:35 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I'm not buying the "nobody wants to play in Boston" line.  The Boston Celtics is one of the most storied, recognizable, prestigious, and marketable sports franchises in the world.

You can't tell me that all any NBA star cares about are beaches and after hours nightlife.

The "red-headed step-child" persona that many fans try adopt for our team is nonsense.

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2013, 06:04:16 PM »

Offline Bosstown

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 32
I'm not buying the "nobody wants to play in Boston" line.  The Boston Celtics is one of the most storied, recognizable, prestigious, and marketable sports franchises in the world.

You can't tell me that all any NBA star cares about are beaches and after hours nightlife.

The "red-headed step-child" persona that many fans try adopt for our team is nonsense.

I am, because honestly if I'm a player and have the choice to play between any of the two LA squads, any of the two NYC teams, Miami, Chicago or Boston. Sorry I'm going to go with a big city or warm weather or both. Boston isn't a sexy destination as a city compared to any of those places.

I'm from Boston and am a big Cs fan, but the reality is our city isn't that hip. It's old, and not very progressive in terms of entertainment or anything really. Besides the fact that most NBA players are Black and Boston is historically one of the most racist cities in the northeast. New York, Phillie, DC are all cities that accept the Black culture within their city and Boston sweeps it under the rug. The city isn't that welcoming to most African Americans, I'm sorry. I don't care how liberal MA is, it still has ignorant people up here and it's not always that comfortable for Black people.

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2013, 06:09:48 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
the 2015 FA class is the reason I don't worry (much) about running the  current roster back for another year.  the roster is almost empty by that point.   keep PP for next year and then a 1 year deal on reasonable $ to expire with the rest of them.

I think that was Danny's plan all along when he signed all those deals to the same length

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2013, 06:13:30 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

I am, because honestly if I'm a player and have the choice to play between any of the two LA squads, any of the two NYC teams, Miami, Chicago or Boston. Sorry I'm going to go with a big city or warm weather or both. Boston isn't a sexy destination as a city compared to any of those places.

I'm sorry, but that's not a very convincing argument.  Personally, I might choose Boston. 

O.K., so Bosstown chooses Miami, Chicago or NYC.  Celtics18 chooses Boston.  Another poster might choose Toronto or Portland.  This doesn't really settle the argument.  The point here is that, just like us, NBA players are humans.  As is the case with humans, some might actually have different preferences and priorities.  I don't think we can pretend to know where every free agent will ultimately prefer to live and play basketball. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2013, 09:42:05 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
guys for the last time FREE AGENTS DO NOT LIKE TO COME HERE!!!  ::)

Not counting Courtney Lee, the following free agents signed with Boston before the 2012-13 season:

Darko Milicic
Leandro Barbosa
Jeff Green
Jason Collins
Jamar Smith
Dionte Christmas
Keyon Dooling
Jason Terry
Kevin Garnett
Brandon Bass
Chris Wilcox

He meant good Free Agents. Good Free Agents do not like to come here via free agency from other teams.

Exactly, no one worth their weight in gold wants to come here.

Oh, you mean like a max-level free agent?

When was the last time Boston had more than the MLE to spend on a free agent from another team?

Dominique Wilkins? :D

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2013, 11:34:11 PM »

Offline Bosstown

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 32

I'm sorry, but that's not a very convincing argument.  Personally, I might choose Boston. 

O.K., so Bosstown chooses Miami, Chicago or NYC.  Celtics18 chooses Boston.  Another poster might choose Toronto or Portland.  This doesn't really settle the argument.  The point here is that, just like us, NBA players are humans.  As is the case with humans, some might actually have different preferences and priorities.  I don't think we can pretend to know where every free agent will ultimately prefer to live and play basketball.

It is prefrence but I just dont think Boston is that attractive of a city when you factor in the cold weather and lack of real entertainment. LA, NYC, Chicago, and Miami are just more attractive destinations for young men. I mean its not like we're Minnesota or OKC, but then again OKC has a guy names Durant whose someone to attract players.

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2013, 11:37:12 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Throw the bank at Aldridge!

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2013, 04:34:09 AM »

Offline Smutzy#9

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42

I'm from Boston and am a big Cs fan, but the reality is our city isn't that hip. It's old, and not very progressive in terms of entertainment or anything really. Besides the fact that most NBA players are Black and Boston is historically one of the most racist cities in the northeast. New York, Phillie, DC are all cities that accept the Black culture within their city and Boston sweeps it under the rug. The city isn't that welcoming to most African Americans, I'm sorry. I don't care how liberal MA is, it still has ignorant people up here and it's not always that comfortable for Black people.

Hence we go for Kevin Love :P sorry couldnt resist. I think Love would actually enjoy Boston, seems like a blue collar type guy

« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2013, 07:15:35 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Hence we go for Kevin Love :P sorry couldnt resist. I think Love would actually enjoy Boston, seems like a blue collar type guy

Yes, the millionaire who was born in Santa Monica, grew up in an affluent Portland (OR, not ME) suburb, went to UCLA, and is the nephew of a Beach Boy. Sure seems blue collar to me, I'm sure Boston as a city is high on his list of places to live. ;D

That aside, I think that there are a number of things that Boston doesn't bring to the table when compared to other locations--media market size, entertainment, endorsement opportunities, income tax, weather. Those should all play into a player's decision--or at least his agent's, especially when you're a guy who could be good enough to expand your brand outside of basketball.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2013, 12:04:53 PM »

Offline celtic -_- pride

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 60
  • Stuff & Things
I can already see all the cheesy kevin love dunkin donuts commercials now. he would dominate in marketing in new england.
[img width= height=]http://s7.postimg.org/jsyw5qrez/banner.jpg[/img]

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2013, 12:25:29 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
The Celtics need to build through the draft, not free agency. It won't work.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2013, 03:33:48 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I am surprised Nobody else has commented on this, but exactly how is this list loaded

2015 NBA Free Agents

Top Guards

Eric Gordon ( player option)- definitely has talent, but he has not been healthy in a few years, where will his injuries be a few years down the line?
Marcus Thorton UFA - shows some promise, but hardly an all-star
Wess Matthews  UFA - same

Top Bigs

Gasol      UFA - If this is Pau, he will be a bit over the hill in a few years as his play has already declined since the 2010 finals
 Aldridge   UFA - would be awesome
 Love     ( Player option) - would be awesome
 Hibbert  ( player option) - hard to imagine become a free agent
 Lopez      UFA - could be really solid
 Boozer     UFA - will be completely washed up
 Jordan     UFA - has not really developed at all, might just be a career dalembert type 
 Chandler   UFA - will be completely washed up

long story short, it is lopez, hibbert, love and a bunch of garbage. I would not call that loaded
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 09:52:00 PM by celticsclay »

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2013, 01:05:50 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
how often do you see a marquee FA signing with another team without a sign and trade situation??

We have to build through the draft imo and sign complimentary FAs. Or through FA find another hidden gem like T Will.