Author Topic: 2013 CB Historical Draft: Team Rosters  (Read 47026 times)

Re: 2013 CB Historical Draft: Team Rosters
« Reply #195 on: May 28, 2013, 10:01:40 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
My ballot is in.

I had a hard time keeping LA off a couple of lists, but in the end they lost a tiebreaker due to being the Lakers and having a true Laker in Kareem at their heart.  I tried to spread it around and had no real scientific method besides the eyeball, the gut, and foggy memories of my youth!

Not an easy task. 
Yup

« Reply #196 on: May 28, 2013, 10:11:20 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
The following teams received at least one vote from. 

If you ain't on that list; You go hungry, bow bow bow

Boston Celtics
Denver Nuggets
Washington Bullets
Milwaukee Bucks
San Diego Clippers
Kansas City Kings
Seattle Supersonics
New York Knicks
Philadelphia 76ers
Dallas Mavericks
Yup

« Reply #197 on: May 28, 2013, 10:24:28 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Boston Celtics
Denver Nuggets
Washington Bullets
Milwaukee Bucks
San Diego Clippers
Kansas City Kings
Seattle Supersonics
New York Knicks
Philadelphia 76ers
Dallas Mavericks
Can't say I agree that LA should have been left off the top 5 in any category but then again, my guess is the other panelists probably won't agree with some of my rankings either.

And that is why I like to have at least five panelists and why I tell people to ask for advice, but ultimately, build your team, because everyone's likes and dislikes are different.

There's a million ways to make a million dollars. Same with these teams and the way they are looked at and judged. What I see as a winning team, others won't and vice versa.

« Reply #198 on: May 28, 2013, 10:33:46 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

Boston Celtics
Denver Nuggets
Washington Bullets
Milwaukee Bucks
San Diego Clippers
Kansas City Kings
Seattle Supersonics
New York Knicks
Philadelphia 76ers
Dallas Mavericks
Can't say I agree that LA should have been left off the top 5 in any category but then again, my guess is the other panelists probably won't agree with some of my rankings either.

And that is why I like to have at least five panelists and why I tell people to ask for advice, but ultimately, build your team, because everyone's likes and dislikes are different.

There's a million ways to make a million dollars. Same with these teams and the way they are looked at and judged. What I see as a winning team, others won't and vice versa.

Yeh, not saying my rationale for leaving the Lakers off is rational.  Just that it was indeed part of my processing.  My disdain for the Lakers runs deep (even into fantasy drafts I reckon).
Yup

« Reply #199 on: May 28, 2013, 10:34:29 PM »

Offline ronaldo943

• NFT
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 513
My favorite overall team would have to be the Celtics really nice team

« Reply #200 on: May 28, 2013, 10:41:16 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
And you know what Redz, your bias is refreshing. As is Roy's preference for Bird teams. The three of us grew up hating Lakers more than asparugus and broccoli put together and served over liver with a side of Caster Oil and thinking Larry was the closest thing to God since Bobby Orr. Those things should be a part of our judging.

Gotta say, it doesn't go for just teams. Little hint, when I am a panelist again, never draft Kobe and expect a vote from me. You won't be one of the best teams in the league regardless of who you put next to him, IMHO. I despise the guy that much and really, unlike Lebron and Mj and Kareem and Magic and Worthy and Shaq, I will never grow to respect him or his game

« Reply #201 on: May 28, 2013, 10:46:12 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Philadelphia 76ers – All around solid team, and championship contender.  Best front court is the league?  But offset by the subpar backcourt, as I don’t like Aguirre (or Theus) at the 2.  I think Philly should have gone for fit here, instead of more firepower.
I have 1 of only 4 Hall of Fame PG's and the backup has the highest assist total of any player in the game.  So it seems you criticism is really of my SG's which you mentioned so I will give you a little background on my thought process of Aguirre and Theus. 

In this setting where there are pretty much no all time great SG's (i.e. no Jordan, no Bryant, no West, no Drexler, no Miller, etc.) you didn't need to have any particular skill set to succeed.  I knew that going in so I left that starting position for last intentionally in my draft (that isn't to say I didn't consider SG's earlier, but I wasn't going to reach to fill that position like I would have elsewhere).  I also knew that because of that, I could use a smaller SF, like Aguirre, in the position and be fine and against teams with quicker SG's then I have Theus to match-up with them.  That is also why I choose the year I did for Aguirre.  It was his best three point shooting season of his career (until the last two long past his prime) and he also played some SG that season and was generally quick enough to play that position (as well as back-up Dr. J). 

Both Aguirre and Theus fit my team's general mantra of efficient scoring and overall well rounded skill sets.  They are both good rebounders, get some steals, excellent passers (especially in Theus' case), get to the line a lot (and hit the foul shots), and generally efficient scorers by hitting near 50% from the field (and while Aguirre's 35.3% from long range doesn't look like a lot by today's standards he actually finished 19th in the league that year).

I personally think you’re overrating Murphy because he’s in the HOF.  When you’re just picking an individual season, the HOF doesn’t really matter as much.

Your HOFer wasn’t an All-Star, wasn’t All-NBA, wasn’t All-Defensive, couldn’t even lead his team to the playoffs in the year you picked for him.  When you put him on a playoff team he never averaged more than 4.9 assists (though did up it a little in the playoffs went it counts).  A low percentage of his teams overall assists, then when I see your team I think with so many scorers you only have an average distributor.  Not sure how well the '76 version of him would lead your high powered offense.  Though I imagine the counter is you have a lot of great passers on your team, I don't know if I see outstanding ball distribution here.

Not saying he’s not a good player, but I think you’re putting too much emphasis on his HOF plaque.  Actually looking at his career, I’m actually kind of surprised he’s even in the HOF.  Looks pretty lacking in career achievements.

As for Theus and Aguirre, just not enough balls to go around for them, in addition to Erving, Haywood, and Lanier (who I imagine are above them in the pecking order).  I personally really doubt Theus ability to effectively accept a largely reduced role.  Can’t pinpoint anything concrete, but I believe I’ve read a few stories about Theus being all for himself, can’t confirm it though.

So in summary, Murphy doesn't blow me away, and I still don't think either Aguirre or Theus are good fits as your SG.  But we'll probably never agree on that, as I think we have very different philosophy's of what it takes to be successful in this leagues.  Championship contender nonetheless.
I also have Kevin Porter who with his 13.4 assists per game is the most prolific passer in this thing (and it wasn't a one season fluke either as he led the league 4 separate years).  I don't think I will have any problems sharing the ball because as you also indicate my big guys all pass. I mean Lanier 4.2 apg, Erving 5 apg, and even Haywood managed 2.5 apg.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #202 on: May 28, 2013, 11:51:44 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
PG: Isiah Thomas ( 89-90)/Kyle Macy(81-82)/Wes Matthews(80-81)
SG: Dennis Johnson (79-80)/Vinnie Johnson (88-89)
SF: Kiki Vandeweghe(83-84)/Billy Knight (75-76)
PF: Maurice Lucas (76-77)/Clark Kellogg (82-83)/Pat Cummings (84-85)
C: Bill Laimbeer (85-86)/Swen Nater (77-78)

My life kinda exploded over the past two weeks, so I'm sorry for my uncharacteristic lack of engagement in this years game. But I do agree with most people's assessment that we're a top 3 defensive team. I especially agree that if I had gotten Aguire, my team would be in the running for number one overall, but even I don't like Kiki.

That being said, if I had been on my game, you all would have been bombarded with "BILLY KNIGHT IS TEH AWESOMEZOR" posts. So consider yourselves lucky.

I do think though that we're a team exactly none of you pretty boy teams want to play. With Laimbeer and Lucas in the frontcourt  and Zeke and DJ in the back, y'all have fun starting your superfun 80's offenses. We'll be knocking you in the head and living in your jersey and will gladly take the easy buckets your D allows.

« Reply #203 on: May 29, 2013, 12:17:05 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Waiting on one ballot and as of yet, every single team has received at least one third place vote in at least one category. 9 teams have received at at least one second place vote in at least one category. That's pretty impressive as to just how close the quality was from top to bottom this year.

« Reply #204 on: May 29, 2013, 01:02:34 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Did you receive my ballot yet?

« Reply #205 on: May 29, 2013, 06:39:18 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!