Author Topic: Lets sign Tiago Splitter  (Read 6587 times)

Lets sign Tiago Splitter
« on: May 09, 2013, 02:48:37 AM »

Offline ianboyextreme

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81

Tiago Splitter- This guy is my first choice for the center spot next year. Whether its backup or starting, we do not yet know but regardless he would certainly play starter minutes. Hes also had a 20 and 10 game seemingly every time hes played the Celtics over the last couple years.

His per 36 numbers this year were 15 and 9. Everyone seems to think that there is no way he doesnt resign with SA, but I dont see how offering 6-7 mil a year wouldnt get him signed here.

I think he is the best realistic center option on the market and hes an unrestricted free agent. He could fill the role more than admirably.

Re: Lets sign Tiago Splitter
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 03:21:43 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I can't see a way that the Celtics can offer a free agent more than the full MLE.  I am not sure the Celtics will have even that to offer.  The Spurs have his Bird rights.  I expect the Spurs to be willing to pay a bit more than the full MLE to retain Splitter.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 06:03:01 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
I like the guy. He's a fighter and will probably fit very well in Boston.
However I don't why the Spurs will let him go or why he will decide to leave San Antonio.
Not to mention... How can we afford him. I think other teams will make a better offer.

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 07:29:40 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Doc wont play him or he wont fit into docs scheme.  Sign Patrick Ewing instead.  Old big that Doc can run into the ground.

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 08:14:10 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I don't see him leaving the Spurs and if he did, he'd be worth much more than the C's can pay this offseason.

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 08:30:07 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I like him. But he wont be leaving the Spurs and would be out of our price range.

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 08:40:00 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2414
I think Splitter will will get a contract $8-9 million per annum from San Antonio this summer and likely cost $10+ million to pry away from San Antonio.

Only real chance would be a sign and trade for Jeff Green but with Kawhi Leonard already there, I doubt San Antonio makes that deal. Splitter more valuable to them.

I can't see Boston being able to sign Splitter this summer. Too difficult.

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 09:46:06 AM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
Agree that he'd be ideal for us, but I think his value is too much for us to afford.

The chants for Timofy M seem much more realistic.

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 10:05:42 AM »

Offline ctrey

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 110
I would love Splitter but I see no way to get him. Unless San Antonio takes Terry and Bass for him in a S&T which they are far too clever to do.

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 10:21:02 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
The chants for Timofy M seem much more realistic.

I think both are equally unlikely.  The Celtics can only afford to offer the MLE and maybe not even that.  Both players are restricted free agents whose teams would not hesitate to match a full MLE contract.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2013, 10:38:00 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Spurs can keep him next year with a $4.9 million qualifying offer which they will do!!

Why not target Dejuan Blair for cheap???

Smitty77

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2013, 10:38:28 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Doc wont play him or he wont fit into docs scheme.  Sign Patrick Ewing instead.  Old big that Doc can run into the ground.

Have you considered writing a script that simply posts "Yeah, and Doc sucks!" in your name any time a new thread is started?

It would save you a lot of time, without reducing at all what you are adding to the quality of the discussion.

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2013, 10:42:12 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Spurs can keep him next year with a $4.9 million qualifying offer which they will do!!

Smitty77

I've always liked Blair, and couldn't figure out why his minutes were down this year.

Bu if you look at his per-36 rebounding numbers they've been declining steadily since he was a rookie:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/blairde01.html

I wonder whether his physical limitations (no ACLs) are catching up to him.

Mind you, he's still a better rebounder than anyone we have other than KG, so yeah, he might still be a decent pickup.

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2013, 10:47:52 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Too tall. ;)
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2013, 11:01:05 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2414

Smitty77
Blair isn't that good of a player.

A defensive liability. Lacks length to compete inside and cannot defend people out on the perimeter. His defensive weaknesses just compound problems Boston's frontcourt already has on that end of the floor. A limited offensive threat with a lack of range on his jump-shot (10-14 feet). Capacity to finish around the rim isn't great. Prone to disappearing against teams with long frontcourt defenders. A very good rebounder. Possibly his only above average skill (rebounding).

A well below average backup PF to strong third string PF. Not worth investing anything more than a minimum contract.