Author Topic: Idea: Pierce and KG to Mavs for cap room  (Read 9278 times)

Idea: Pierce and KG to Mavs for cap room
« on: May 08, 2013, 01:06:56 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
Dallas will have max cap space this summer for a run at Dwight Howard which will likely not happen

they can throw money at Josh Smith or some combo of other players, ...or

they could buy Pierce and KG from the Celtics to pair with Dirk for one more run at a title with Dirk

the salaries don't have to match but someone will have to help me out on the math - I think we would have to take someone back (Marion?) but whatever we save could be an immediate cap savings AND we'd have a huge (max?) trade exception

thoughts?
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

Re: Idea: Pierce and KG to Mavs for cap room
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 01:17:40 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • ranter
by the way, you could pitch the same idea to mad scientist Daryl Morey down in Houston

Pierce, KG, paired with The Beard, Lin, and Asik?  not a bad squad

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 01:19:10 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Dallas will have max cap space this summer for a run at Dwight Howard which will likely not happen

they could buy Pierce and KG from the Celtics to pair with Dirk for one more run at a title with Dirk

the salaries don't have to match but someone will have to help me out on the math - I think we would have to take someone back (Marion?) but whatever we save could be an immediate cap savings AND we'd have a huge (max?) trade exception

thoughts?
I would probably want a first along with the cap space. I believe we would only have to take on about 1MM from them.

The Mavericks will have $20 mm in space and the Celtics would be giving away $26 MM in contracts. Meaning that  $20MM+100k*1.25 needs to be equal 26 or more. It equals 25 MM which means we would have to take on a million.

This would not only give us cap space but it would provide us with a $26 MM trade exception that we could use to sign free agents with (as part of a sign and trade).
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 01:19:54 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

thoughts?

Yeah, I've been churning this one over in my head off and on the past week or so too. I was wondering whether Jason Terry could also fit into the Mavs cap space.

I think it makes sense for Dallas, if they can't land a younger, max-level FA to become the next face of the franchise. Dirk has one year left on his contract, so does Pierce.

They'd have a ton of money tied up in Dirk, Pierce, and KG, though. Might be tough to put pieces around them.

http://data.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/mavericks.jsp
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 01:22:39 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • ranter

I would probably want a first along with the cap space. I believe we would only have to take on about 1MM from them.

The Mavericks will have $20 mm in space and the Celtics would be giving away $26 MM in contracts. Meaning that  $20MM+100k*1.25 needs to be equal 26 or more. It equals 25 MM which means we would have to take on a million.

This would not only give us cap space but it would provide us with a $26 MM trade exception that we could use to sign free agents with (as part of a sign and trade).

perfect, thanks for doing the math

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 01:34:12 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
A sticking point could be the cap holds of RFAs Darren Collison (hold of $5.8 mil) and Rodrigue Beaubois (hold of $5.6 mil).

I think Dallas would probably have to relinquish the rights of both of them to free up enough cap space.

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 02:21:15 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
We did this the other day (with Pierce only):

*Everything is 'Player(Salary in millions)'
Dallas Trades: Shawn Marion (9.3), Carter (3.2), Jared Cunningham (1.2),
#13 overall (roughly 1.6 million cap hold)= $15.3 million

Boston Trades: Paul Pierce ($15.3)

***This trade would only work out if Dallas gets Marion to sign away his ETO rights (like Dwight did) prior to the trade.

Dallas would then only have Nowitzki, Jae Crowder, and Bernard James on contract, plus the $5 million they owe after waiving Pierce, right around ~30 million.

So basically a max-level player.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 03:06:50 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I think Pierce to Dallas is a good idea if rebuilding.

I would be inclined to trade KG elsewhere. LA Clippers for example. And pick up an additional first round from that second team.

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 03:49:09 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
It's not a bad idea.

I think it's a move that Dallas would certainly be receptive to.

Maybe if you could pry a 2014 first round pick from them along with a couple expiring contracts (Marion, Mayo, etc) then definitely go for it.

The end goal for the Celtics would be to have two first round picks in 2014 and cap space to go after one of the top free agents in next summer's free agent class.

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 04:54:21 PM »

Offline henr1k

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 58
If Pierce gets traded Clippers and Mavs are most obvious destinations. Mavs will try to get Chris Paul and/or Howard but if they don't get them (very likely to happen) they will look to patch their team with veterans on short deals (similar what they did this summer) cause Cuban can't go into rebuild mode when Dirk has only couple of more years left.

Pierce fits the bill perfectly. Mavs have 13th pick this year, I wonder would they be willing to give it up for PP?

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 05:22:56 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
We did this the other day (with Pierce only):

*Everything is 'Player(Salary in millions)'
Dallas Trades: Shawn Marion (9.3), Carter (3.2), Jared Cunningham (1.2),
#13 overall (roughly 1.6 million cap hold)= $15.3 million

Boston Trades: Paul Pierce ($15.3)

***This trade would only work out if Dallas gets Marion to sign away his ETO rights (like Dwight did) prior to the trade.

Dallas would then only have Nowitzki, Jae Crowder, and Bernard James on contract, plus the $5 million they owe after waiving Pierce, right around ~30 million.

So basically a max-level player.
I saw that you posted this in another thread.  I think this is a very interesting idea.  It assumes that KG retires (which I think is likely) and PP wants out.

We get some older assets that we may be able to "flip" plus we get a decent draft pick instead of just buying out Pierce and getting some but not enough cap space.  We take on some salary but we would probably not be in the market for a premier FA anyway.

Dallas through a slight of hand gets cap space on top of cap space and may end up turning Marion, Carter, et al into Chris Paul and/or Dwight Howard.  Not bad for them either.

The only down side I see with this is that PP could actually sign with Miami after being bought out by Dallas.  Yikes, but that is the risk with letting PP loose.

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2013, 05:31:20 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

Or, the Mavs can wait until after the June 29 deadline for invoking ETOs to trade Marion.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2013, 05:50:13 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I don't see the benefit in trading Pierce and KG for cap space. There is no one to target with the cap space this year that is worthwhile. I believe we would be better off keeping them this year and letting them retire. We get the cap space anyway when they retire.

Either hold out for good young talent plus picks, or let them retire as celtics.

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2013, 05:58:02 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
I don't see the benefit in trading Pierce and KG for cap space. There is no one to target with the cap space this year that is worthwhile. I believe we would be better off keeping them this year and letting them retire. We get the cap space anyway when they retire.

Either hold out for good young talent plus picks, or let them retire as celtics.

One advantage: leveraging that cap space to acquire 2014 draft picks from teams desperate to trim payroll.

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2013, 06:16:08 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

I think you're misunderstanding the intention. We're not trading pierce so WE have cap room, we're trading him so another team could have cap room, and we get young assets/picks in return for the favor. We're basically selling our cap space for next year.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner