Author Topic: Idea: Pierce and KG to Mavs for cap room  (Read 9342 times)

Re: Idea: Pierce and KG to Mavs for cap room
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2013, 07:20:23 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2158
It has been my thinking for a while now that Dallas would be the perfect trading partner:

I think Dallas and Dirk is an interesting situation. What if they can't land anyone with that all that cap space?

I'm starting to think that Dallas and Boston are good trading partner allowing one of the teams to contend and one to blow it up.

But why are we giving up the HOFers? WE should be the ones going all out for DIRK!

Rondo
Lee
Pierce
DIRK
KG

Terry
Williams

Trade everyone else including our draft picks for DIRK. Run it back one more time.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2013, 07:42:43 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
One could dread doing this and still love the team.   It's the big picture.   I dread getting older for the team, and I dread keeping them all at the same time.

« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2013, 07:52:20 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I imagine the people who get excited about trading Hall of Famers for cap space are the same people who experience immense tightening of the trousers when reading sabermetrics from excel spreadsheets.

As a fan of the game, I can't get stoked on the idea, even though it "makes sense" from a GM-y point of view.

I don't know what Sabermetrics are. Don't know how to use excel either. All I know is that it means we go from mediocrity and potentially closer to the next banner.

If we were going to run it back one one more time then we need another star. Dirk could come here I suppose, but we'd have to send out (Bass+ Terry) or (Jeff Green)+ Bradley, Lee and multiple picks. Either Sully or Green is gone in that situation.

Even with Dirk are we a serious 'elite' contender? I'm not sure. It sure as hell gives Pierce a break from carrying the scoring load on his back.
I think Dallas would probably also demand Jeff Green in some kind of scenario like this.

Personally would rather dump Pierce and get some decent stuff from Dallas like a late lottery pick+Marion or Pierce+KG for Marion+Craeder+lottery pick etc...
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.