Author Topic: Member when I said I rather have Marc Gasol instead of Howard?  (Read 13013 times)

Re: Member when I said I rather have Marc Gasol instead of Howard?
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2013, 07:03:20 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I would. Gasol is more versatile, different but equal defender and a significantly better locker room presence.

What difference does it make if he's more versatile if Howard still produces substantially more?
That's the trick, he doesn't, really.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2013, 07:21:50 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Gasol is more durable now and much more likely in the future now.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2013, 06:40:08 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I would. Gasol is more versatile, different but equal defender and a significantly better locker room presence.

What difference does it make if he's more versatile if Howard still produces substantially more?
Yes he does.  Even this year coming back from injury, Dwight produced substantially more.  3 more points per game, 4.6 more rebounds per game, and .7 more blocks per game.  Not to mention Dwight hits a far greater percentage of his FG attempts.  Marc is a better passer and better from the foul line, but that is about it.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2013, 07:12:42 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Yes he does.  Even this year coming back from injury, Dwight produced substantially more.  3 more points per game, 4.6 more rebounds per game, and .7 more blocks per game.  Not to mention Dwight hits a far greater percentage of his FG attempts.  Marc is a better passer and better from the foul line, but that is about it.
Marc also is a solid 15 foot jump shooter, so he can provide spacing that way.

But yeah passing, free throw shooting, and floor spacing are the limits to Gasol's advantages over Howard.

« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2013, 12:26:49 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Let's just say I'd be willing to bet good money Gasol wins a title before Howard ever does.  In fact, I doubt Howard ever will.

Howard is such a poor leader and poor 4th quarter player, there is very little likelihood a team with him as it's best player wins a title.

« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2013, 12:33:23 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

But yeah passing, free throw shooting, and floor spacing are the limits to Gasol's advantages over Howard.

A lot of the stats you mentioned, rebounds and Shooting  Percentage,  have more to do with the fact Marc plays with ZBo than it does a differance between Marc and Dwight's talent.

« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2013, 01:27:51 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Marc Gasoline 30X the IQ of Howard.........Howard has the maturity of a spoiled 18 yr old boy

maybe when Howard is 60 yrs old he'll grow up....

he can' t make decision on or off the court .......

overpaid 7 ft bratt

« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2013, 03:07:26 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I'd rather have Marc Gasol (or Joakim Noah, for that matter) than Dwight Howard.  Howard's physical talents are undeniable.  I don't think I've ever seen a player with his combination of size, strength, quickness, and agility.  And, yeah, he did dominate for a while down in Orlando, but in recent years, I've become fed up with his antics.  It seems that whatever he's going through mentally is showing on the court. 

With guys like Gasol and Noah, I just feel like they know what their roles are, they are always going to play hard, they are a couple of warriors.  So, despite the downgrade in talent, there are at least two centers I'd rather have than Dwight Howard.  That said, he's still only 27 years old.  If he can get healthy physically and mentally, he can still be dominant. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2013, 03:15:29 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Let's just say I'd be willing to bet good money Gasol wins a title before Howard ever does.  In fact, I doubt Howard ever will.

Howard is such a poor leader and poor 4th quarter player, there is very little likelihood a team with him as it's best player wins a title.

I'd say that the fact that a team with Howard (at age 23) as it's best player getting to the finals puts the likelihood much higher than you'd imagine.

« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2013, 03:18:12 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I'd rather have Marc Gasol (or Joakim Noah, for that matter) than Dwight Howard.  Howard's physical talents are undeniable.  I don't think I've ever seen a player with his combination of size, strength, quickness, and agility.  And, yeah, he did dominate for a while down in Orlando, but in recent years, I've become fed up with his antics.  It seems that whatever he's going through mentally is showing on the court. 

With guys like Gasol and Noah, I just feel like they know what their roles are, they are always going to play hard, they are a couple of warriors.  So, despite the downgrade in talent, there are at least two centers I'd rather have than Dwight Howard.  That said, he's still only 27 years old.  If he can get healthy physically and mentally, he can still be dominant.
Also, out of nowhere, this year Noah has proven that you can actually run some offense through him. Of course, the plantar fasciitis is a concern, but so is Howard's back.

In any case, I too would have Gasol or Noah. Howard may be the better physical specimen, but those two are the better/more skilled basketball players.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2013, 03:26:13 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

A lot of the stats you mentioned, rebounds and Shooting  Percentage,  have more to do with the fact Marc plays with ZBo than it does a differance between Marc and Dwight's talent.
Is Pau Gasol chopped liver all of a sudden?  Now granted Pau missed about half the year, but the combination of Pau + Dwight far exceeded the combination of Marc + Zach.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2013, 03:37:54 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

Is Pau Gasol chopped liver all of a sudden?  Now granted Pau missed about half the year, but the combination of Pau + Dwight far exceeded the combination of Marc + Zach.

A Half the year. B, Pau doesn't limit Dwight's activity near the basket at all-- This was one of the Laker's Chemistry issues this year-- whereas ZBo significantly impacts the amount of time Marc spends near the basket which impacts his RBG and shooting percentage.

« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2013, 03:38:46 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145

If you say so. Howard still has had more playoff success than either Noah/Gasol with considerably less talent around him.

« Reply #58 on: May 09, 2013, 03:54:59 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

If you say so. Howard still has had more playoff success than either Noah/Gasol with considerably less talent around him.

True.  He had a great, dominant run down in Orlando.  Still, though, if you told me that I could add any center in the league to the Celtics right now and give up nothing,  I'd choose Joakim Noah. 

I just trust that guy to go out there and compete, and give it his all and not make any excuses, every time he steps on the court.

Just like his dad. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #59 on: May 09, 2013, 03:55:00 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
howard is a better player, but id rather have marc gasol