Author Topic: Member when I said I rather have Marc Gasol instead of Howard?  (Read 13084 times)

Re: Member when I said I rather have Marc Gasol instead of Howard?
« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2013, 04:28:03 PM »

Offline ejk3489

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 215
I'd rather have Marc Gasol (or Joakim Noah, for that matter) than Dwight Howard.  Howard's physical talents are undeniable.  I don't think I've ever seen a player with his combination of size, strength, quickness, and agility.  And, yeah, he did dominate for a while down in Orlando, but in recent years, I've become fed up with his antics.  It seems that whatever he's going through mentally is showing on the court. 

With guys like Gasol and Noah, I just feel like they know what their roles are, they are always going to play hard, they are a couple of warriors.  So, despite the downgrade in talent, there are at least two centers I'd rather have than Dwight Howard.  That said, he's still only 27 years old.  If he can get healthy physically and mentally, he can still be dominant.

I always forget that Dwight is the same age as Rondo. Leading that Orlando team to the Finals at only 23 years old makes me believe that, despite being incredibly immature at times, he could easily duplicate that in the near future if you pair him with a top guard and a few outside shooters. The Houston Rockets, for example, would be a great fit for DH.

« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2013, 07:10:21 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
You get Howard.

You pair him with a player that is a strong leader and a strong coach. 

Win games.  Have happy player.

« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2013, 07:13:30 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I'd rather have Marc Gasol (or Joakim Noah, for that matter) than Dwight Howard.  Howard's physical talents are undeniable.  I don't think I've ever seen a player with his combination of size, strength, quickness, and agility.  And, yeah, he did dominate for a while down in Orlando, but in recent years, I've become fed up with his antics.  It seems that whatever he's going through mentally is showing on the court. 

With guys like Gasol and Noah, I just feel like they know what their roles are, they are always going to play hard, they are a couple of warriors.  So, despite the downgrade in talent, there are at least two centers I'd rather have than Dwight Howard.  That said, he's still only 27 years old.  If he can get healthy physically and mentally, he can still be dominant.

I always forget that Dwight is the same age as Rondo. Leading that Orlando team to the Finals at only 23 years old makes me believe that, despite being incredibly immature at times, he could easily duplicate that in the near future if you pair him with a top guard and a few outside shooters. The Houston Rockets, for example, would be a great fit for DH.

Maybe...go back and look at some of the tape from that year--it's incredible how much the back surgery affected his athleticism this season.

Also... huh-huh... "Member." huh-huh
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #63 on: May 12, 2013, 11:49:43 PM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198
Howard has much better offensive post skills (he isn't all dunks)

I must be looking away from the TV every time Howard puts his offensive post skills to work.  ;D

Seriously, though, I'm not sure what you're seeing when you watch Howard play. The only actual post move I've ever seen him make is the running hook shot—no spin move, no fadeaway, no dream shake, no up-and-under. I'd estimate his offense to be at least 90% alley-oops, putbacks, or simply getting good (deep) position on his man and overpowering him—not that any of those things are bad, but they're a far cry from having actual post skills.

Yupp totally agree

« Reply #64 on: May 12, 2013, 11:50:48 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
You were right

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #65 on: May 12, 2013, 11:55:27 PM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198
It was so evident in the last 3 games Memphis played against the Thunder in the playoffs

Gasol impacts the game offensively for his team that Howard can only dream of
He's hands dowm the best passing big man in the league right now

« Reply #66 on: May 16, 2013, 10:12:18 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Tim Legler apparently agrees.

Most complete center in basketball today.

« Reply #67 on: May 16, 2013, 11:57:58 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Gasol impacts the game offensively for his team that Howard can only dream of
He's hands dowm the best passing big man in the league right now
Not true at all, they just have very different types of impacts.

Howard is an absolutely devasting pick and roll player who commands a ton of help. He's also a pretty efficient post player despite all the negativity about his post game. He adds dimension of offensive rebounding that Gasol doesn't. Howard effects the offense without touching the ball via his post ups and rolls.

Gasol by contrast is primarily a high post man who can hit the 18 foot jump shot and is a great facilitator with the ball.

Both are fantastic facilitators for their team, the just do so in different ways.