Author Topic: Sir Alex Ferguson retires  (Read 8958 times)

Sir Alex Ferguson retires
« on: May 08, 2013, 05:37:21 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22447018

Incredible news that has sent shockwaves through football. He's been Manchester United manager for nearly 27 years, I was one month old when he took over. Respect to a legend.

Re: Sir Alex Ferguson retires
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 05:38:12 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
My favourites to replace him:

Jurgen Klopp
Jose Mourinho
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer

Although, I fear it will be David Moyes.

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 06:33:13 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
Sad day indeed, but at least he went out on a winning note. Thanks, Fergie!

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 07:26:01 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
He is retiring as a champion , he is leaving a strong team behind good enough to compete for the epl at least. I think he did the best for himself (don`t forget he is 71y.o.) and the club.

Klopp is the most obvious choice but he is not leaving Dortmund. Ole is very intriguing option but i think it`s too early for him.

I like moyes (sorry celticmaestro)

I realy hope it won`t be anceloti :D

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 07:32:20 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
End of an era.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 07:42:51 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
I'm not going to pretend to know a bunch about Ferguson because im just now getting into football, but would this be equivalent to Coach K retiring from Duke?
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 08:20:19 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
in a way yes

the only difference is that Sir Alex had succeded a lot with his previous team too. Aberdeen won the Scotsh league (a two horse race) and miraculously won a european cup too!

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 08:20:59 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I don't think Man Utd will hire David Moyes. Not enough big game experience. Not enough experience in Champions League. Never managed a top club. Hasn't shown he can manage a squad the size of United. I don't think Moyes has any chance at the United job which is a pity because I would love to see what he could do a major club.

I think Man Utd will go with a heavyweight. Ferguson is a giant. They won't go with someone inexperienced. They will need someone who has "been there, done that". Has managed top club(s) before, has won titles and has good experience in Europe. Someone with loads of experience who can steady the club in a difficult period. Someone who has instant credibility with the fan-base and with the players.

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 08:46:44 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Other Candidates

Mourinho would be a good candidate although it sounds like the board will be split on him. Several will love him because of his success but several others will hate his antagonistic ways and will refuse to allow him to denigrate Man Utd's reputation. A few members of the board have already spoken out against Mourinho joining the club in the future over the last 12-24 months. Bobby Charlton was one of them I believe. Fergie's approval may give him a shot though.

Guus Hiddink would be a very good option.

It sounds like Carlo Ancelotti will be leaving PSG this summer. He has the European pedigree United crave so badly.

I think Fabio Capello is too defensive minded for an attack minded club like United but I wouldn't be shocked if United offered him a short term deal. Say 2-3 years while United learned to live without Fergie.

Heyneckes would be a very good option but I imagine he'll either retire or go back to Real Madrid to replace Jose Mourinho. I imagine the lure of going there and helping Real win the "decima" will be too hard to ignore. Still, maybe there is a slight chance he'd want to coach in England before he calls it a day but I think it's very slight. Madrid or retirement is my expectation.

I don't think United go with Luis Van Gaal. He would want to change everything to his specific system. Both at the first team level and youth levels. I doubt United will want that type of upheaval / change after all their recent success. Under contract with Dutch National team anyway so maybe they couldn't even get Van Gaal anyway.

Probably a bit too soon for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer. Only managed in a smaller league. Norway with Molde. Not enough experience. Maybe he'll be the guy who replaces the guy who replaces Fergie though. Just too soon right now for Ole.

I think Laurent Blanc is a good candidate. Success with Bordeaux. Managed French National team. Plays attractive football. Had a brief spell at United as a footballer so he knows the English game well. I think he checks a lot of boxes. Strong candidate.

Manuel Pelligrini looks a good option too. Man management is strong. Tactically intelligent. Builds attacking sides. Speaks English. It seems like he wants to move to England and has already spoken with Man City and been linked strongly with Chelsea until Mourinho's departure from Madrid became more likely.

Jurgen Klopp looks the best candidate to me. His success at Dortmund has been remarkable. His teams play terrific "modern football" with his tactics, systems. Beautiful intricate passing teams. High pressing. Compactness in right areas. Klopp has shown he can build a side from scratch. He has shown he can develop and incorporate young players. His teams are very attacking. His man management looks to be top notch. Led Dortmund to Champions League Final. Plays the type of football that is very successful in Champs League. Speaks English. Is irritated that Dortmund are losing top players and cannot compete financially with other top teams. Looks like he could be tempted away by a bigger club if offered a chance at stability and given time + patience to be successful there.

(1) Jurgen Klopp
*(2) Antonio Conte
(3) Laurent Blanc
(4) Jose Mourinho
(5) Manuel Pelligrini
(6) Jupp Heyneckes
(7) Carlo Ancelotti
[8] Guus Hiddink
[9] Fabio Capello
(10) Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
(11) David Moyes
(12) Louis Van Gaal

I hope it's Klopp. I would love to see him come to England and I don't think he'd join a club like Chelsea (my club) who don't offer him the type of stability he'd require.

-----------------------------------------

Oh darn, I forgot one. Antonio Conte. Seems worried about Juve's competitiveness financially. Has led Juve to great success in the league. Has shown himself capable of building a team. Excels getting high effort and teamwork from his squads. Builds the type of doggedness and teamwork that has made Fergie's United teams so successful over the past 20 years. Strong tactically. It sounds like Juve will be able to convince him to stay for now but it is possible he decides to leave this summer.

It seems a shame that Guardiola made his decision to join Bayern Munich so early in the game. I think United would have been the perfect long term destination for him. Offer him more long term stability. And United would have worshiped Pep Guardiola's attacking style.

I wonder if they would consider AC Milan's manager. Allegri. I think his contract is up. Not overly impressed him myself though. Harry Redknapp's Spurs team picked him apart in Champions League. Worries me. 

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 08:53:48 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
Klopp won`t leave till the end of his contract. He had done so with his previous team (mainz i think)

I tottaly agree about pep... i think he was perfect.

Del Bosque has done a great job with Real but i don`t think he would like to start new at this age.

Pellegrini has performed miracles everywhere he has worked (almost).

A nice option (a little risky though) is Ernesto Valverde

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 09:12:52 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Frank de Boer is another name. Has done great things with Ajax. Probably a bit too soon in his managerial career to be the guy who replaces Alex Ferguson though.

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2013, 10:21:33 AM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40
I think the best option for ManU is Reddknap who is gonna leave QPR. Other options are, Guss Hijdiink or Frank Rijkard

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2013, 11:36:14 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
much respect, for one of the grates sports figures of all time... enjoy retirement
p.s. i think he'll come back ala Paul Scholes
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2013, 11:48:45 AM »

Offline Scott

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
I think the best option for ManU is Reddknap who is gonna leave QPR. Other options are, Guss Hijdiink or Frank Rijkard

I would consider Redknapp a long shot at best.  Just don't see that happening.

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2013, 12:58:27 PM »

Offline connor

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
I like Mourinho as the next manager. It'll be hard for anyone to replace Fergie, but if you are going to do it you might as well go big with Jose. He is looking for a new team, has had more than enough success to warrant it and it would be a nice way of sticking it to Abramavich too.

Moyes has been great with Everton, but he hasn't had to deal with that same kind of pressure he would get if he came to ManU so I don't know if its the best choice. Moyes will always be trying to catch up to Fergie's name (a fellow Scotsman), but Mourinho has already built his own legacy so it seems like a better fit.

That being said he has done so well on a tight budget there maybe he could really make the most of ManU's bankroll.