5 (15.6%)
No, but I believe the Celtics should tank
5 (15.6%)
No, and I don't believe the Celtics should tank
22 (68.8%)
Not sure/Don't know
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author Topic: If KG/PP Retire, Would You Swap Rosters with the Bobcats?  (Read 11492 times)

Re: If KG/PP Retire, Would You Swap Rosters with the Bobcats?
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2013, 04:16:09 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Here's a reminder - the Bobcat are an embaressment of a franchise.

People don't know if their most valuable asset will become more than a sufficient role player.

5,000 people watch their games nightly.

They have a jersey with checker boards on the side which even late 90's WWF tag team High Energy ditched for being too cheezy

They have cap room that no legitimately good player will take. And I can assure you that they're going to waste it on a non-franchise altering player like Josh Smith.

The Bobcats chance of becoming good hing on either 1 of 2 things happening:

1. An MVP-like, sure thing, prospect falls form the sky and hits them squarely in the head

2. They invent a time machine, that allows for an alternate timeline dimension where Michael Jordan in his prime can join the Bobcats. Then, and only if Michael Jordan doesn't trip over his fat jeans on the way there will the Bobcats be competitive.

« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2013, 04:17:22 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
The Bobcats aren't in a great position, I'd take Cleveland, New Orleans, Toronto, Orlando, heck I'll take all the other EC lottery teams over Charlotte
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2013, 04:36:39 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
You couldn't get a top 5 pick for rondo at this point

The three other top 5 Bobcats draft picks that LarBrd33 wouldn't trade straight up for Rondo? Emeka Okafor, Raymond Felton and Adam Morrison.
There's been a lot of busts picked in the top 5.  There's also been a lot of superstars.

No, I don't think Rondo would net you a top 5 pick at this point.  He's 28 years old, flawed, probably not an all-star anymore... and although 12 mil a year is a reasonable contract for a fringe allstar who can't shoot... most rebuilding teams would opt to take the top 5 pick.  It's a potential superstar and he'll be locked into a rookie deal. 

Now, I think most contenders would prefer to go with an established 28 year old (presuming Rondo ever comes back from his injury)... but most teams picking in the top 5 aren't contenders... they are teams looking to rebuild.

Again, though, you spent months telling everyone that the Celts wouldn't miss Rondo at all in the playoffs this year,

WE didn't miss Rondo.  We were getting our butts handed to us by the Knicks either way if KG and Pierce we're playing vintage ball. 

The freedom Jeff Green had (and the impact he made as a result) negated the loss of ball-dominating Rondo in the playoffs.  I love your optimism about Boston's chances with Rondo's leadership... but let's agree to disagree on that.  Neither of us is convincing the other.  Fwiw, I hope I'm wrong and you're right... but I don't see a Rondo-lead team (without KG and PIerce) even making the playoffs.

We clearly missed Rondo. You're watching games where KG doesn't score much because Rondo wasn't getting him open looks on a regular basis and Pierce was struggling mightily trying to fill Rondo's role and claiming Rondo wouldn't have helped because those two didn't excel. Rondo's not playing is the *reason* they didn't play well.

You can't look at KG's defense and say it was poor, we held the Knicks way below their scoring average. You certainly can't look at his rebounding as a sign he was playing poorly. All you have is his scoring being lower, but you're unable to see the relationship between fewer open shots and fewer shots made.

Likewise, take away most of PP's turnovers because he wouldn't be trying to handle the point guard responsibilities, give him a few more easy shots a game and you'd have better numbers than the year before. Again, one would assume while you were watching PP getting stripped by the Knicks point guards or having his passes intercepted because he was trying to get assists without ever having the thought that we'd be better off with our point guard out there.

It's like having watched Glen Davis trying to guard Rashard Lewis for the 2009 Bos/Orl playoff series and not thinking we'd have been better off with KG playing.

« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2013, 04:55:39 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
but if I had to put money on one of these teams winning a title in 2018... I'd put money on the Bobcats.
I'd take that bet.  No team run by Michael Jordan will win a title.   great player, horrible executive.

Oh god ya, I'd make that bet a hundred times over and give you odds. The Bobcats are going NOWHERE.
They are a poorly managed team.  A good GM would have a far easier time turning the Bobcats into a contender than this Boston team. 

A core of Rondo/Pierce/KG/Green with Bass/Sully/Lee/Terry/Bradley has a pretty good chance of getting to the conference finals. If Rondo was healthy we wouldn't have had much trouble at all with the Knicks or the Pacers. Bring back current team, add a FA, maybe make a smallish trade and we'll be closer to being a contender than you could reasonably expect Charlotte to be at any time between now and 2018.

Likewise, the odds of trading PP and/or KG for a good player or two and adding them to the Rondo/Green core are probably higher than Charlotte becoming contenders through the draft over the next 4 years or so. Rondo and Green and the ability to absorb salaries with the contracts of the (ready to retire) PP and KG is a much better starting point to try and contend in the fairly near future than being the Bobcats.

« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2013, 04:59:01 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I disagree Tim.  Pierce and the Boston offense was fine post-Rondo... Pierce averaged 19, 6 and 6 after the all-star break.   Check out Paul's shooting percentages: 

Pre all-star 42%/36%/79% 
Post all-star 49%/43%/78%

Jeff Green's scoring and efficiency increased dramatically after rondo went out. 

Pre all-star 44%/34%/81% 10 points
Post all-star 49%/44%/80% 17 points

Brandon Bass... pre all-star 45% shooting... post all-star 54% shooting

Their effectiveness scoring wasn't hinging on Rondo's ability to pass them the ball.   

... I wouldn't blame our playoff on Rondo being out.  The Knicks owned us.  Pierce shot 37% and 23% from three in the playoffs.  It wasn't reflective of how we played in the regular season without Rondo.  Credit New York's defense and credit our players just shooting horrendously in that series.  Rondo wouldn't have made a difference... we still would have been creamed with him. 

« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2013, 04:59:24 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
[b
The Bobcats chance of becoming good hing on either 1 of 2 things happening:

1. An MVP-like, sure thing, prospect falls form the sky and hits them squarely in the head

2. They invent a time machine, that allows for an alternate timeline dimension where Michael Jordan in his prime can join the Bobcats. Then, and only if Michael Jordan doesn't trip over his fat jeans on the way there will the Bobcats be competitive.
Use that time machine to give them Larry Bird as the original owner and not Bob Johnson.
And then throw away those bobcats name and colors and bring back the Hornets.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2013, 05:16:05 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I disagree Tim.  Pierce and the Boston offense was fine post-Rondo... Pierce averaged 19, 6 and 6 after the all-star break.   Check out Paul's shooting percentages: 

Pre all-star 42%/36%/79% 

Jeff Green's scoring and efficiency increased dramatically after rondo went out. 

Their effectiveness scoring wasn't hinging on Rondo's ability to pass them the ball.   

... I wouldn't blame our playoff on Rondo being out.  The Knicks owned us.  Pierce shot 37% and 23% from three in the playoffs.  It wasn't reflective of how we played in the regular season without Rondo.  Credit New York's defense and credit our players just shooting horrendously in that series.  Rondo wouldn't have made a difference... we still would have been creamed with him.
I think its strange that you think having an all-star point guard wouldn't have mattered when we got nearly zero production from Bradley/Terry/Lee/Crawford/Williams offensively for large stretches of that series and struggled with inbounding the ball, bringing up the ball, and turnovers.

But that wouldn't fit the predefined trench warfare you've had for months with Bballtim.

« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2013, 05:30:35 PM »

Offline bobbyv

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 32

Pre all-star 42%/36%/79% 

Exactly! Heck, with Rondo we barely would of put up 50 points a game! He's that terrible at running an offense. What a bad point guard. The guy that averaged 17ppg and gave Miami fits during last season playoffs definitely wouldn't have made a difference against an overrated Knicks team  ::)

But hey, we'll still beat the Knicks in 5 or 6, right?

« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2013, 05:33:13 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I sincerely believe that the Celtics beat the Knicks in 5 in that series with a healthy Rondo.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2013, 05:33:21 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Pre all-star 42%/36%/79% 

...and look at what happened to them in the playoffs, where teams have to be able to execute their half court offenses against teams that are more focused on their defense than they are during the season. Go back over the last 3+ months of celticsblog, you'll find tons of posts from many different posters that contained phrases like "wait until the playoffs come".

What happened in the playoffs to the Celts offense was extremely predictable. If you don't believe me check with any number of posters who were saying the same thing, or go back and find the quotes from Doc, Danny and even Wyc saying the same thing.

« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2013, 05:45:59 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Pre all-star 42%/36%/79% 

...and look at what happened to them in the playoffs, where teams have to be able to execute their half court offenses against teams that are more focused on their defense than they are during the season. Go back over the last 3+ months of celticsblog, you'll find tons of posts from many different posters that contained phrases like "wait until the playoffs come".

What happened in the playoffs to the Celts offense was extremely predictable. If you don't believe me check with any number of posters who were saying the same thing, or go back and find the quotes from Doc, Danny and even Wyc saying the same thing.
I hear ya.  I thought we'd perform a lot better in the playoffs... but I really don't think having Rondo would have made Pierce shoot higher than 36% (23% from three).  He was just off.  And we've yet to see any evidence that Jeff Green can be effective with Rondo dominating the ball every possession.  I think the Knicks series would have looked a lot different... but I don't think the outcome would have been much different.

It's a wonderful scapegoat though.  Denial is a powerful thing.  Lot easier pretending this team is still a contender than facing the fact that the Charlotte Bobcats are closer to winning a title than this sitting duck franchise.

« Reply #56 on: May 08, 2013, 06:33:26 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Pre all-star 42%/36%/79% 

I hear ya.  I thought we'd perform a lot better in the playoffs... but I really don't think having Rondo would have made Pierce shoot higher than 36% (23% from three).  He was just off.  And we've yet to see any evidence that Jeff Green can be effective with Rondo dominating the ball every possession.  I think the Knicks series would have looked a lot different... but I don't think the outcome would have been much different.

It's a wonderful scapegoat though.  Denial is a powerful thing.  Lot easier pretending this team is still a contender than facing the fact that the Charlotte Bobcats are closer to winning a title than this sitting duck franchise.

Denial is your desperately clinging to the remnants of your theories on Rondo's play that were pretty much trashed during the playoffs. Here are a couple of factors that could each have a significant effect on Pierce's shooting percentages. First, the responsibility of having to run the offense with Rondo out including bringing the ball up court much of the time just wore him down when he was playing big minutes. Second, the looks he got weren't that great, in part because Rondo wasn't running the offense, in part because Paul had the ball in his hands so much so the defense was focused on him before he got ready to shoot.

Let me know if you don't think that those are things that can effect a player's shooting or if you don't think having Rondo would have changed things.

And you can claim that we don't have evidence that Green can be effective playing with Rondo, but by the same token you have no evidence that he can't. He started the season poorly but his play improved as the season went on and that improvement started before Rondo's injury. Check out his splits and you'll see what I mean.

« Reply #57 on: May 08, 2013, 07:11:03 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Haha what? This has to be a joke. There's no way. The bobcats are the laughing of Nba history. Why on earth would we want that?

« Reply #58 on: May 08, 2013, 07:40:17 PM »

Offline NocturnalRebel

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
For what?
Loyalty Is Royalty

« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2013, 11:33:29 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Pre all-star 42%/36%/79% 

Denial is your desperately clinging to the remnants of your theories on Rondo's play that were pretty much trashed during the playoffs. Here are a couple of factors that could each have a significant effect on Pierce's shooting percentages. First, the responsibility of having to run the offense with Rondo out including bringing the ball up court much of the time just wore him down when he was playing big minutes. Second, the looks he got weren't that great, in part because Rondo wasn't running the offense, in part because Paul had the ball in his hands so much so the defense was focused on him before he got ready to shoot.

Let me know if you don't think that those are things that can effect a player's shooting or if you don't think having Rondo would have changed things.

And you can claim that we don't have evidence that Green can be effective playing with Rondo, but by the same token you have no evidence that he can't. He started the season poorly but his play improved as the season went on and that improvement started before Rondo's injury. Check out his splits and you'll see what I mean.
Sorry dude I just don't see it.  Pierce shot just as poorly in the playoffs last year (38%/31%/89%)... Ray shot 39%/30%/71% ... and this was despite the fact they were playing with Rondo.   

I absolutely love ROndo, but I contend that he is one of the most overrated players in the league.  He's limited offensively.  He would have struggled penetrating vs New York and his lack of shooting ability would have made him a liability without the ball.  He gets assists, but a lot of that has to do with the offense we run, his league-high minutes, and the fact that he monopolizes the ball more than probably anyone in the league. 

I know you strongly disagree and I respect that. Rondo earned his all-star appearances.  If we had a couple young superstars on this team and ROndo was the 3rd best player, I'd totally want to keep him... but I see no way we are going to land two superstars while keeping Rondo.

I also feel like Jeff Green was never "bad" early in the season... he's about as steady as a player can be.  His jump in productivity happened due to him finally getting an opportunity to create his own offense.  He's very effective driving into the lane.  That's something he rarely got an opportunity to do with Rondo's ball-dominating.  Those two never clicked.  If they click in the future, it will because Rondo adjusts his game and gives Jeff Green more opportunities to do Jeff Green things...and if that happens, we might see Rondo's assists drop. 

We also have seen plenty of rumors over the years that paint a picture of a league not nearly as enamored with Rajon Rondo as you think.   Take them with a grain of salt, but according to rumors we were turned down for Steph Curry when Curry was injured.  We were turned down by the Lakers when we tried to trade for old Pau Gasol.   We were turned down by the Hornets for Chris Paul and couldn't find a 3rd team (the Hornets preferred Steph Curry as well).  Going back further, we tried to trade for Russell Westbrook and were turned down.  We supposedly tried to trade Rondo for Tyreke Evans and change and were turned down.  It seems to paint a picture of a league that values scoring over passing.

I'm rootin for Rondo.  I'm rooting for BBallTim.  I'd prefer to be wrong.  But the way I see it, Rondo is at most a top 6 PG in this league, we don't know when he will return from his injury and if he'll be the same... we absolutely don't have any evidence to suggest he can lead a contender without Pierce and KG.  There's a reason Ainge has tried trading him essentially every year. 

Rajon Rondo has talent.  Antoine Walker had a lot of talent too... I loved Walker when he played here.  Walker earned his allstar appearances as well.  But there's certain guys you just can't build a champion around.  Ainge is aware of that.  It would be hard to land a top 5 pick for Rajon Rondo.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 11:39:29 PM by LarBrd33 »