5 (15.6%)
No, but I believe the Celtics should tank
5 (15.6%)
No, and I don't believe the Celtics should tank
22 (68.8%)
Not sure/Don't know
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author Topic: If KG/PP Retire, Would You Swap Rosters with the Bobcats?  (Read 11505 times)

Re: If KG/PP Retire, Would You Swap Rosters with the Bobcats?
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2013, 01:08:18 AM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
After how many years of rebuilding (?), Bobcats still don't have a single cornerstone player they can build their franchise around.

They will have to somehow find that player through a trade, using cap space -- not current rostered players -- as the bait.

Going to be a long, long time before Charlotte is relevant in the NBA.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2013, 01:08:58 AM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • We may as well put Tyrion in at center.
I'd argue that MKG has more trade value than Rondo.

Just false.

trade value doesn't equal current talent level.
I like Marcus Smart

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2013, 01:09:14 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I've said this before when you've asked this, LC, but I'll say it again.

No, I wouldn't, and I think your question is off-base.

The Bobcats are a terrible team, and their roster is mostly devoid of talent.

But that is not because they are a rebuilding team specifically.  Rebuilding is not the same thing as having an awful roster with little in the way of redeeming assets.  The Bobcats are in that situation because of poor management, some bad luck, a lack of money, and not so great drafting.

The Celtics already have some decent young assets to work with.  I think the Celtics could make moves over the next year that would put them in a better position to rebuild than the Bobcats are likely to be in, unless they are lucky enough to get the #1 pick next year (this year not so much).

Just having Rondo and Green already puts the Celtics in a better position because those can be traded for young assets.  The most valuable guy the Bobcats have is MKG, and I think the jury is still out on whether he's going to end up being more than a nice role player.

The fact that somebody thinks the Celtics ought to rebuild, or that a team has to draft high at some point to become elite again, does not mean they want the Celtics to become the Bobcats.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2013, 01:26:26 AM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie

Just false.
He's 19 and on his rookie contract.  Rondo plays the deepest position in the league, is 28 years old, a top-10 PG and coming off of major surgery.   MKG has more trade value. You couldn't get a top 5 pick for rondo at this point

Interesting aside, in lieu of sarcastic remarks I was preparing to make, MKG is the very worst 19 year old to average at least 9 and 6 in the NBA, but it's a short and intriguing list that includes James, Garnett, Howard, Melo, Bosh, and McGrady - although also Ainge project, Darius Miles.

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2013, 01:32:07 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I've said this before when you've asked this, LC, but I'll say it again.

No, I wouldn't, and I think your question is off-base.

The Bobcats are a terrible team, and their roster is mostly devoid of talent.

But that is not because they are a rebuilding team specifically.  Rebuilding is not the same thing as having an awful roster with little in the way of redeeming assets.  The Bobcats are in that situation because of poor management, some bad luck, a lack of money, and not so great drafting.

The Celtics already have some decent young assets to work with.  I think the Celtics could make moves over the next year that would put them in a better position to rebuild than the Bobcats are likely to be in, unless they are lucky enough to get the #1 pick next year (this year not so much).

Just having Rondo and Green already puts the Celtics in a better position because those can be traded for young assets.  The most valuable guy the Bobcats have is MKG, and I think the jury is still out on whether he's going to end up being more than a nice role player.

The fact that somebody thinks the Celtics ought to rebuild, or that a team has to draft high at some point to become elite again, does not mean they want the Celtics to become the Bobcats.

Nailed it.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2013, 01:53:01 AM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
You couldn't get a top 5 pick for rondo at this point

The three other top 5 Bobcats draft picks that LarBrd33 wouldn't trade straight up for Rondo? Emeka Okafor, Raymond Felton and Adam Morrison.

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2013, 02:07:16 AM »

Offline ejk3489

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 215
I'm sorry but it's laughable to think MKG or the top 5 pick of a crappy draft class this year has more value than Rondo right now...ACL tear or not, he's clearly a better asset to have than either of those options.

Does anyone actually want to build around players on the Bobcats roster?

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2013, 02:12:11 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

Just false.
He's 19 and on his rookie contract.  Rondo plays the deepest position in the league, is 28 years old, a top-10 PG and coming off of major surgery.   MKG has more trade value. You couldn't get a top 5 pick for rondo at this point

Interesting aside, in lieu of sarcastic remarks I was preparing to make, MKG is the very worst 19 year old to average at least 9 and 6 in the NBA, but it's a short and intriguing list that includes James, Garnett, Howard, Melo, Bosh, and McGrady - although also Ainge project, Darius Miles.
  MKG finished behind Chris Copeland in the ROY voting and you're telling me he has more trade value than Rondo?

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2013, 02:29:08 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

One reason that I ask the question is that, unless you get hit with injuries to key players, I think you have to be in the same talent neighborhood as the worst teams in the league to end the season with one of the worst records. 

Fans who want to tank for next season want the Celtics to become the Bobcats; they just don't realize it.  There are so many bad teams right now that putting together a team that "only" gets 30 wins next season might have you drafting 8th in 2014.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2013, 02:33:36 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

Just false.

MKG finished behind Chris Copeland in the ROY voting and you're telling me he has more trade value than Rondo?

Due to the size of his contract, more teams can trade for MKG than Rondo.  More teams are in play so there is more of a market for MKG in a trade.

Here is an extreme example of how salary cap considerations can trump on-court performance in trade value.  Amare Stoudemire is a significantly more talented and useful player than DJ White.  Due to his contract, DJ White is more of a trade asset than Amare Stoudemire.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2013, 02:36:38 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
You couldn't get a top 5 pick for rondo at this point

The three other top 5 Bobcats draft picks that LarBrd33 wouldn't trade straight up for Rondo? Emeka Okafor, Raymond Felton and Adam Morrison.
There's been a lot of busts picked in the top 5.  There's also been a lot of superstars.

No, I don't think Rondo would net you a top 5 pick at this point.  He's 28 years old, flawed, probably not an all-star anymore... and although 12 mil a year is a reasonable contract for a fringe allstar who can't shoot... most rebuilding teams would opt to take the top 5 pick.  It's a potential superstar and he'll be locked into a rookie deal. 

Now, I think most contenders would prefer to go with an established 28 year old (presuming Rondo ever comes back from his injury)... but most teams picking in the top 5 aren't contenders... they are teams looking to rebuild. 

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2013, 02:49:00 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Just false.

Just taking a look at some notable 19 year olds in recent league history:

LeBron James per-36:  19 points, 5.4 assists, 5 rebonds, 1.5 steals 41%/29%/75%

Kevin Garnett per 36:  13 points, 7.9 rebounds, 2.3 assists, 2.1 blocks, 1.4 steals, 49%/28%/70%

Tracy McGrady per 36: 14.9 points, 9 rebounds, 3.7 assists, 1.7 steals, 2.1 blocks, 44%, 23%, 73%

Chris Bosh per 36: 12.3 points, 8 rebounds, 1 assist, 0.8 steals, 1.5 blocks, 46%/36%/70%

Dwight Howard per-36:  13.2 points, 11.1 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 steal, 1.8 blocks, 52%/0%/67%

Carmelo Anthony per 36: 20.7 points, 6 rebounds, 2.7 assists, 1.2 steals, 0.5 blocks, 43%/32%/78%

Kobe Bryant per 36: 21.4 points, 4 rebounds, 3.5 assists, 1.3 steals, 0.7 blocks 43%/34%/79%

Anthony Davis per 36: 17 points, 10.2 rebounds, 1.2 assists, 1.5 steals, 2.2 blocks, 52%/0%/75%

Kevin Durant per 36:  21.1 points, 4.5 rebounds, 2.5 assists, 1 steal, 1 block, 43%/29%/87%

Darius Miles per 36: 12.8 points, 8 rebounds, 1.7 assists. 1 steal, 2.1 blocks, 50%/0%/52%

Michael K-G per 36:  12.5 points, 8 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 steal, 1.2 blocks, 46%/22%/75%

You're actually totally right.  TP 

FYI, rondo at age 20 per 36:  9.9 points, 5.8 assists, 5.7 rebounds, 2.5 steals 0.2 blocks, 42%/20%/65%

Still, MKG has potential.  He's 19 years old... he's on his rookie deal.  I'd argue he has more trade value than Rajon Rondo coming off ACL surgery... but i'm willing to agree i'll probably lose that argument.  :)

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2013, 07:19:37 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Jordan only hits on can't miss projects like Davis.  He is a horrible GM.

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2013, 07:25:37 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Yes.  I think a good GM would be able to rebuild the Bobcats quicker than he could the post-Pierce/KG Celtics.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2013, 07:49:07 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
With or without Noels?