16 (30.2%)
4 Years
4 (7.5%)
5 Years
6 (11.3%)
Never
10 (18.9%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author Topic: Should We Keep Fab Melo Next Year  (Read 11875 times)

Re: Should We Keep Fab Melo Next Year
« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2013, 10:42:13 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Fab Melo has potential, as far as I'm concerned, we got a big man simply cause he would be able to clog up the paint, and rebound/block. And because KG refused to come back next year, if that wasn't our priority. Which is why I'm 100% positive we'll draft a big man, since that has been a priority that KG made to our attention.

Fab Melo can do all of these in D-League, the only problem is getting his footwork, and his ability to dissect plays improved. I don't care if hes still slow, as long as he hustles for the rebound. His boxing out also needs a lot of work. But that comes with the territory of a project big man. Doc really doesn't like rookies at all... And yet somehow Sully managed to impress Doc, so I guess it goes both way in a non traditional route.

Either impress the Doc with dedicated work ethic, or don't and be strapped tightly into the doghouse.

I suspect with the 16th pick, that we may or may not choose to keep Fab Melo once the next trade deadline occurs. He may be trade bait if he doesn't improve his defense at least.

All we really need is another Perkins. Even if he has no offense, if Fab can contribute 1.1 BPG, and at least 4.5 RPG under 20 minutes with solid defense I don't see why he won't get minutes.

I'm really hoping Jefferson, Smith, or Perkins come here in the off season. Praying Smith or Jefferson takes a huge pay cut, or Perkins come here basically for free if he gets amnestied to play with his friends.

"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #61 on: May 08, 2013, 11:41:37 AM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Melo will be useful if we're trying to tank - the kind of guy that can make you much worse while getting better himself.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #62 on: May 08, 2013, 11:52:15 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
You don't dump a raw project big man after 1 year.

You don't draft a 22 year old raw project big man in the first place.

This is probably true.  If you're drafting a project big man, he should probably be 18 or 19 years old.

Still, we've crossed the Rubikon on that one.  We invested the first round pick in the guy, so we might as well see if we can get a serviceable rotation player out of him.  No sense in just throwing him to the curb after a year when -- surprise! -- the raw project big man isn't an NBA player after one season of playing in the D-league.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #63 on: May 08, 2013, 11:53:48 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'm actually pretty high on Fab's potential - I think he can be a defensive weapon

the only thing that bothers me is his mental approach - he doesn't have that snarl that Perkins has - more of a goofball like Javale McGee

Yeah, that's a good point.

Javale McGee has all the physical talent in the world to help make up for it.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #64 on: May 08, 2013, 11:55:04 AM »

Offline edwardjkasche

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 38
Seeing that getting rid of him would bring the team absolutely nothing but a roster spot - he's still on his rookie contract - there is NO POINT in getting rid of him.

Continue to develop him, and if you do not feel he fits into the team's future plans, then include him in a trade package.  Alone he would bring back nothing in a trade.  Right now, he's barely trade filler.

What I would do is hire someone like Hakeem or Parish to work with Melo all summer long, and I would push him hard in training camp.  I would do everything possible to get him on the big league roster next season.  If he's not capable of playing a few minutes a night by the end of next season then I would place him in the trade filler category.

« Reply #65 on: May 08, 2013, 11:56:40 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Fab Melo has potential, as far as I'm concerned, we got a big man simply cause he would be able to clog up the paint, and rebound/block.

Don't expect Melo to be much of a rebounder.  He wasn't great in college, and he was pretty mediocre in the D-League.  With his size, he should have been dominant on the boards, and instead he ranked 76th (!!) in the league.  It wasn't an issue of minutes, either; he ranked 96th in rebounds per minute.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 12:01:50 PM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #66 on: May 08, 2013, 11:59:40 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
Fab Melo has potential, as far as I'm concerned, we got a big man simply cause he would be able to clog up the paint, and rebound/block.

Don't expect Melo to be much of a rebounder.  He wasn't great in college, and he was pretty mediocre in the D-League.  With his size, he should have been dominant on the boards, and instead he ranked 76th (!!) in the league.

The D-League*

« Reply #67 on: May 08, 2013, 12:18:43 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I wonder if Melo was Ryan McDonough's call, and if so, whether he might be interested in acquiring him with some of those picks that Phoenix has stockpiled.

In addition to their own picks (less a 2013 2nd rounder that is going to Houston), Phoenix has:

a 2013 1st rounder from Miami,
a 2013 2nd rounder from Denver,
a lottery-protected 2014 1st rounder from Minnesota,
a 2014 2nd rounder from Toronto or Sacramento (provided neither are in the top 36)
a 2015 1st rounder from the Lakers
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 01:47:59 PM by Lucky17 »
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #68 on: May 08, 2013, 12:36:44 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
You don't dump a raw project big man after 1 year.

You don't draft a 22 year old raw project big man in the first place.

Why not?

Because it's a waste of a draft pick and a roster spot.  I would guess that the vast majority of guys who are as clueless as Fab at age 22 are never going to "get it".

I should add the caveat that you don't draft such a player 1) in the first round, and 2) unless you can stash him overseas while he develops.

i was not enamored with by ainge's pick of melo, but melo is on the celtics, so that boat has sailed.

his age is a factor as is pointed out, especially when comparing melo to perk development. however, what may be just as important is that melo starting playing basket late in life, at least late compared to most nba types. he simply doesnt know the game very well at this point.

next, melo makes low money by nba standards and it is a sunk cost. he obviously has more physical skills than perk will ever have. also, melo has improved some aspects of his game while in maine.

so, how many of his current limitations are "he will never get it" mental and how many are "he is new to basketball, he can learn it eventually" mental? i dont know.

will he ever be as good, or even better, than our beloved steamer? (who took years to develop and produced 2.9 pts and 3.4 rbs in 14 minutes for the celtics.) i dont know.

but given that he might be at least a passable backup in the nba, i dont see any significant cost in keeping him around for the duration of his rookie contract.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #69 on: May 08, 2013, 01:44:52 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
Some players need a little time to develop.  Chauncey Billips is still a very useful player in this league long after Pitino cut him for not being productive.  There are many times I wished that trade had never happened.

There are also plenty of draft picks that never see the court...does that mean that scouts/GMs are clueless? How many minutes has Greg Oden played in his career?  Was that pick as bad as Melo?  Has Oden been cut yet to make room for a good player? 

Someone a lot smarter than I said that you can't teach height.  I have often read that centers and point guards take the longest to reach their potential, and I don't see that it hurts to give Melo (who seems athletic and with a motor) a little more time, especially now that we don't have to hide him in Europe, but can school him in the D-League.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #70 on: May 08, 2013, 02:54:57 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Some players need a little time to develop.  Chauncey Billips is still a very useful player in this league long after Pitino cut him for not being productive.  There are many times I wished that trade had never happened.

There are also plenty of draft picks that never see the court...does that mean that scouts/GMs are clueless? How many minutes has Greg Oden played in his career?  Was that pick as bad as Melo?  Has Oden been cut yet to make room for a good player? 

Someone a lot smarter than I said that you can't teach height.  I have often read that centers and point guards take the longest to reach their potential, and I don't see that it hurts to give Melo (who seems athletic and with a motor) a little more time, especially now that we don't have to hide him in Europe, but can school him in the D-League.

TP.

Except it would be more advantageous for Doc to at least throw Melo in for a few minutes per game. He'll never improve in D-League, simply because it isn't competitive enough, and there aren't that many big men.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #71 on: May 08, 2013, 03:02:12 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
This will be a huge off season for Fab. He needs to immerse himself in he game. At this point he doesn't seem to understand basic basketball concepts aka he is rarely standing in the right place.

If the Celtics can take his athleticism, and make a basketball player out of him, I will believe that they can turn any raw player into a legit NBA player.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #72 on: May 08, 2013, 03:52:35 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
I would keep him on the roster. He has no trade value right now anyway, so adding Melo into the deal won't have a big impact on a trade.

He has a good motor,good lateral quickness, he's a true seven footer and he plays "long" around the rim.

I'd keep him but would also 100% throw him into the fire throughout training camp, the preseason and early into the regular season as well. he needs to be pushed, pushed, pushed by real, legit NBA big men. I think it will pay off for him and for us.   

« Reply #73 on: May 08, 2013, 04:00:52 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
Couple other comments:

1. I remain intrigued what a Jared Sullinger / Fab Melo combination will do - if Melo gets there...
A) Melo is a laterally fast, long defensive guy and a decent shot blocker.

B) Sullinger is a bulldog of a rebounder and a real physical force down low.

C) The two are complimentary players - each has what the other doesn't. Even if Melo doesn't turn into a monster rebounder, if he learns the ability to use his size to tie people up and move people around, Sully, Green, Rondo, etc., can help clear the glass.

D) Perkins has never been a great "rebounder" but in tying up other bigs he helps the rest of his team become better rebounders.

2. I was also very surprised that we didn't take DeAndre Jordan in that draft. His Bio said he was a true seven footer with a great frame and elite athleticism. Needed to mature and questionable motor, etc...
* I  I "really" wanted us to take him and put him into what was then the meat grinder of KG and Perk and see what happened. I figured we had Ray at the two for a few more years with TA behind him so we had time ona  two guard replacement.

3. Also wanted Ezeli over Melo - but I still think there's a chance that Melo could become  a much better player than Ezeli over time. But we have to play him and throw him into the fire sooner than later.   

« Reply #74 on: May 09, 2013, 11:24:47 AM »

Offline Interceptor

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 224
I'd just like to say that I think of Melo every time that I see Draymond Green hit a three in the playoffs.