16 (30.2%)
4 Years
4 (7.5%)
5 Years
6 (11.3%)
Never
10 (18.9%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author Topic: Should We Keep Fab Melo Next Year  (Read 11872 times)

Re: Should We Keep Fab Melo Next Year
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2013, 07:21:51 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
Should We Keep Fab Melo Next Year? Why? Staying on the bench polishing Docs shoes?
Somebody is going to sit on the bench...might as well be a 7 footer who might develop into something.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2013, 07:22:37 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Should We Keep Fab Melo Next Year? Why? Staying on the bench polishing Docs shoes?
Somebody is going to sit on the bench...might as well be a 7 footer who might develop into something.

Yeah, but we were talking about Fab Melo. ;)

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2013, 07:23:51 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
Can someone give me an example of someone who at first looked as hopeless as he did on the court, but then blossomed into a decent center?

I'm not asking that question sarcastically/rhetorically/whatever. I really want to know if Melo has a chance.

« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2013, 07:26:03 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Can someone give me an example of someone who at first looked as hopeless as he did on the court, but then blossomed into a decent center?

I'm not asking that question sarcastically/rhetorically/whatever. I really want to know if Melo has a chance.

People will say Perk, but 1) I disagree that Perk was ever that bad, and 2) Perk was a lot younger.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2013, 07:29:26 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584

Yeah, but we were talking about Fab Melo. ;)
:P
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2013, 07:31:04 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460

People will say Perk, but 1) I disagree that Perk was ever that bad, and 2) Perk was a lot younger.

That's what I feared.

« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2013, 08:08:30 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

Yes. Melo is 22 and he has not even shown enough promise to get garbage minutes on a big man-starved team.

At that same age Perk was a starting center, and one year away from being the center on an NBA championship team, averaging 7 pts, 6 reb and 1.5 blocks in 25 mpg.

World of difference between the two so far.

« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2013, 08:13:31 PM »

Offline European NBA fan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
He looked pretty good back in December when he had that ridicolous triple double - 15 points, 16 rebounds, 14 blocks - followed by 32 points, 9 rebounds and 9 blocks in the next game. But he doesn't have the basic skills to put it all together and keep it together.

The potential to be in the rotation is definitely there, but he needs to practice with a big man coach all summer this year and next.

« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2013, 08:52:00 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Them not playing is not their choice.....doc never played melo, white.....this is docs limits as a coach..enter popovich....he plays guys....makes them develop..now follow up and do your job as coach....!!!

doc is a lazy coach.

These comments and my Perkins comparison reminded me: I just went back and looked at the numbers, and during the 06-07 season we had the following minute allocation:

Player     Age   Exp    MPG
Perkins    22      3         20
Rondo     20      R         23
Powe       23      R         11

Those same guys played even more in 07-08 (and two of them started!), when our other rookie Big Baby was also getting significant minutes.

After we fire Doc because he holds back rookies like Fab by not playing them, we should find out who was the Celtics coach in 2006-2007, and re-hire that guy.

That guy loved playing rookies!

He knew how to develop young talent into All-Stars!

He started two guys who were 21 and 23!!

He played rookies even on a championship team!!

!!!!

« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2013, 09:00:37 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
what shall we do on fab melo. put in d-league for another year?
trade filler?
play 10minutes a game?

I think Melo was a complete waste of a draft pick. 

I'd gladly package him as trade filler.  However, good luck with that; Washington preferred Jason Collins to Melo, so it looks like at least some teams feel that he has negative trade value.

Essentially, Washington said "We'd rather have expiring contracts than pay Melo $1.3m".  Not good.

Essentially, you're saying you trust the Wizards in the area of talent evaluation.

Well, a lot of people think they did good drafting Wall and  Beal.

I don't think their talent evaluating skills are the problem, so much as their ability to develop said talent is a problem.  It also seems like their making efforts to fix that problem.

not to hijack the topic but...

Developing talent is the problem yes.  But giving them credit for drafting Wall is ludicrous, he was the clear #1 pick, a 12 year old would have taken him. 

I'll give them some credit for Beal, but what about selecting Jan Vescely with the #6 pick??  Theyve also drafted some horribly selfish and/or stupid players...JaVale McGee, Nick Young, Andre Blatche....
Greg

« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2013, 09:10:50 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
Oh, and I think Fabs celing as a player is a less coordinated JaVale McGee.

eeek.

However, if we're gonna rebuild, there's no point in getting rid of him
Greg

« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2013, 08:25:24 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Lol at the people criticizing Doc for not playing Fab Melo and DJ White.

People do realize he was worried about putting a team out there who could run an offense well enough to compete in the playoffs, right?

And that didn't happen so obviously Fab and DJ should have played less if anything.

A tired pp turning the ball over  is running the offense?  How bout doc insert some bigs to defend to create offense.  And please don't tell me these players couldn't find a spot in the rotation.  If you can't find minutes for a 6'10- 7'0 guy that's played college and pro ball then you're a complete moron.

« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2013, 08:32:46 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
This is not a big picture decision. He's not that valuable. If he's filler he's filler.

« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2013, 08:33:55 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Is there any advantage in getting rid of him?
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2013, 08:35:58 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
You don't dump a raw project big man after 1 year.

Let's get to the end of his rookie contract and then worry about whether we need to dump him.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain