16 (30.2%)
4 Years
4 (7.5%)
5 Years
6 (11.3%)
Never
10 (18.9%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author Topic: Should We Keep Fab Melo Next Year  (Read 11946 times)

Re: Should We Keep Fab Melo Next Year
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2013, 06:56:30 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I like his attitude and understand the signing due to his RAW talent which could develop or might not ever become an nba player.  give me more shav as backup big next year
AND if kg is gone give me a quality big

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2013, 07:05:20 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
kinda be nice to see where he is at in another year.   If the Celtics are rebuilding totally, then I guess he is cheap and he can learn as part of a 18 win team will a new coach.  He'll get to play a lot. and either stick or be traded.

If Doc comes back,  he'll probablly be traded as part an upgrade deal to bring in a sorely needed center.

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2013, 08:15:01 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
clearly melo has more talent and skills than perk did as a rookie, by far. so waiting and keeping melo as the 15th man is not a huge investment to make. it worked once before.

i did not like melo in college since he only played zone and i am not convinced yet he can be a good nba center, but he might be since he has shown flashes of talent. and since decent centers are like hens' teeth, he is a good lottery ticket for the celtics to have.

my biggest concern from watching melo is that he seems to lack a real desire to grab rebounds. i can forgive that he is new to basketball. fine. but what bothered me was watching him wait for rebounds to fall to him. rarely did he push anyone out of the way and fight for a rebound. almost never did he go out of his way to get a rebound.

i am hoping this part can be taught to him...fighting for rebounds with passion. it's possible for him to learn. i have already seen that he learned to box out better.

melo has talent. he now needs to develop a mean streak similar to rodman or barkley or bird. that is, he has to think that each and every rebound is his and his alone. and be willing to fight like hell for it.

if he can develop that attitude he can rebound credibly. combine that with his slowly improving offensive game and his already excellent shot blocking and he have a credible nba center.

he is worth the gamble.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2013, 09:44:39 AM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40
Should We Keep Fab Melo Next Year? Why? Staying on the bench polishing Docs shoes?

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2013, 09:57:42 AM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
I would be more then happy to load him off in a trade to get a real center. Thats if we are planning on winning now. If not then keep him and see what happens. I never saw him play once this year. I know he got some garbage time but those times i must have turned the tv off or wasn't watching in general.

From what i read from you guys is that he is awful. Granted he is just a rookie but sometimes guys just don't have it or  want it, and perhaps he thinks he is good enough and doesn't put the work in. Again i have no facts to put into that assumption. But if he doesn't end up being at least a bench center in this league then i feel that would be the reason why.

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2013, 10:00:13 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
what shall we do on fab melo. put in d-league for another year?
trade filler?
play 10minutes a game?

I think Melo was a complete waste of a draft pick. 

I'd gladly package him as trade filler.  However, good luck with that; Washington preferred Jason Collins to Melo, so it looks like at least some teams feel that he has negative trade value.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2013, 10:15:04 AM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
Gotta get him experience, especially against the teams that go big or the lower tier teams of the league.

Playing him some against the Bobcats, Suns and Kings would be good. Gotta mold him within the team setting. He needs that direction and will only learn by doing.

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2013, 10:51:24 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
trade filler?
play 10minutes a game?

I'd gladly package him as trade filler.  However, good luck with that; Washington preferred Jason Collins to Melo, so it looks like at least some teams feel that he has negative trade value.

Essentially, Washington said "We'd rather have expiring contracts than pay Melo $1.3m".  Not good.

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2013, 11:24:38 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
didn't like the Melo pick when it was made and still dubious of his potential.  knew this was a pick that would take until his 3rd year to be of any possible use.

I'd use him as trade filler but if Danny keeps him, he's D-league material for another year.  Optimistically, he could develop enough to be the 3rd string center for the 2014-2015 season and possibly progress to be the 2nd string center IF we're lucky. 
even with an optimisic view, he's still a wasted pick because there were a number of players taken after him that showed more promise (or have already shown more promise).

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2013, 11:26:58 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
At this point, no reason to move him.  Let him continue to develop.

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2013, 11:29:50 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
trade filler?
play 10minutes a game?

Essentially, Washington said "We'd rather have expiring contracts than pay Melo $1.3m".  Not good.

Essentially, you're saying you trust the Wizards in the area of talent evaluation.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2013, 11:47:00 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
trade filler?
play 10minutes a game?

Essentially, you're saying you trust the Wizards in the area of talent evaluation.

Well, a lot of people think they did good drafting Wall and  Beal.

I don't think their talent evaluating skills are the problem, so much as their ability to develop said talent is a problem.  It also seems like their making efforts to fix that problem.

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2013, 11:48:10 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I think you give him as long as he has guaranteed money to develop...unless you can get a team to give up value for him, then you sell, sell, sell. 

« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2013, 11:43:42 PM »

Offline krook

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 23
I think you give him as long as he has guaranteed money to develop...unless you can get a team to give up value for him, then you sell, sell, sell.

ainge was trying on both sully and pj3
how can you play both pf at the same time?

« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2013, 12:46:29 AM »

Offline NocturnalRebel

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
I really don't see why we would get rid of him. I want to see him develop here and contribute. He can shot block and rebound. He just needs to be thrown out there with tha sharks and learn how to play in tha NBA. Tha D-League isn't doing him much justice. It helps but I want to see him out there in real NBA games against guys like Hibbert and Lopez. He's probably tha last guy we have with size.

I still have my hopes for Fab Melo.

Loyalty Is Royalty