Author Topic: People Criticizing Doc  (Read 11053 times)

Re: People Criticizing Doc
« Reply #60 on: May 07, 2013, 09:44:11 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
and where is he now with less..? Did you see that defense the other night...and REBOUNDS...wait...what are they.....are rebounds defense....LOL.in my book they are..!
The Celtics played excellent defense against the Knicks. It was their anemic offense that lost them the series.

Every year Doc's teams are very good defensively. His teams share the ball and play extremely hard. That is all you can ask from any coach.

Has it been his fault that since Kendrick Perkins was traded we haven't bothered to bring in a pure rebounder to pair with KG? Is it his fault that almost every year at least one of his rotation players went down with an injury?

Exercise for those who are anti-Doc, which coaches currently in the NBA would you rather have than him? Here's my list.
Popovich
Thibs. List over

We had PLENTY of rebounders...we jst had a coach who was reluctant to play rebounders.....do you REALLY watch the games..?

Exactly.  Im so tired of celtic fans defending Doc rivers because he's the coach.  If it was not glaringly obvious that doc rivers is a horrible coach look no further than playing 7 guys ONLY in the playoffs.  With no rebounding help while able bodies sat on the bench.  And injured, past their prime players were ran into the ground!  For petes sake nothing has changed since 2010!  The guy cant coach a lick.  Hello PP iso every freakin game?  what the heck kinda coaching is that?.  Courtney Lee sits over JC? ::).  Whatever, people need to take off the glasses.  As i said before, they'll never win a title with Doc at the helm.  2010, up by 9 and he runs the players ragged until LA takes the lead before calling a freakin time out!  Pure ineptness.  Please fire this guy!

« Reply #61 on: May 07, 2013, 10:00:54 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
and where is he now with less..? Did you see that defense the other night...and REBOUNDS...wait...what are they.....are rebounds defense....LOL.in my book they are..!
The Celtics played excellent defense against the Knicks. It was their anemic offense that lost them the series.

Every year Doc's teams are very good defensively. His teams share the ball and play extremely hard. That is all you can ask from any coach.

Has it been his fault that since Kendrick Perkins was traded we haven't bothered to bring in a pure rebounder to pair with KG? Is it his fault that almost every year at least one of his rotation players went down with an injury?

Exercise for those who are anti-Doc, which coaches currently in the NBA would you rather have than him? Here's my list.
Popovich
Thibs. List over

We had PLENTY of rebounders...we jst had a coach who was reluctant to play rebounders.....do you REALLY watch the games..?
Yes I watch every game, I also understand saying "do you really even watch the games" means you have nothing to say to back up your opinions.

Who would you have played? Shav? the Knicks would have run pick and rolls to get Shav isolated on Carmelo. Needless to say Shav was a free agent we signed from China, there was a reason he wasn't in the league.

Wilcox: 12.8 rebounding percentage but terrible on defensive rotations. He might have gotten a board or two more but he would have cost us many more points than those rebounds would be worth.

You think they should have played Darko? A guy who hasn't been an above average rebounder since 09' (according to the percentage of available rebounds he gets)

The thing that truly bothers me about the Doc haters is the arrogance to think they know better than Doc. Doc is a coach of a year, a championship coach,  a coach that spends every day with his team watching them play and gauging how good they are.

Doc is the reason free agents want to come to Boston.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #62 on: May 07, 2013, 10:07:35 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

Popovich
Thibs. List over

Exactly.  Im so tired of celtic fans defending Doc rivers because he's the coach.  If it was not glaringly obvious that doc rivers is a horrible coach look no further than playing 7 guys ONLY in the playoffs.  With no rebounding help while able bodies sat on the bench.  And injured, past their prime players were ran into the ground!  For petes sake nothing has changed since 2010!  The guy cant coach a lick.  Hello PP iso every freakin game?  what the heck kinda coaching is that?.  Courtney Lee sits over JC? ::).  Whatever, people need to take off the glasses.  As i said before, they'll never win a title with Doc at the helm.  2010, up by 9 and he runs the players ragged until LA takes the lead before calling a freakin time out!  Pure ineptness.  Please fire this guy!
I defend him because he is a coach that has had recognized nba success in two cities.
What able body rebounders do you speak of?
He played only 7 guys in the playoffs because our team was short of NBA caliber players due to injury.
DOC ALREADY WON A TITLE HERE! At least be accurate and say never win ANOTHER title here.
Courtney Lee got absolutely abused on defense in the first game which is why he never played again. Crawford actually was playing better defense in the series.
If Doc had not run his starters ragged that game they would have given up the lead early and you would have killed him for resting the veterans.

What coaches would you rather have?
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #63 on: May 08, 2013, 12:19:18 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
WHAT..did doc do since Thibidoe left to coach CHICAGO....NOTHING....he is just a last minute play guy.....

Getting a team without a single healthy sg and a sf with a sprained knee ligament to the conference finals isn't as unimpressive as it sounds. What's Thibs done that's more impressive than that?

sure, overplaying your stars all year...now that is impressive.....but then...THAT is the #1 topic....overplaying them...benching the help.getting rid of the supporting players.....to overplay the stars....what happened EVERY January for the last 4 years...PP and KG...hurt....overplaying.....obvious to players who played this game on any level.

This is comical. You are holding up Thibs as an example, and criticizing Doc for overplaying guys.

Do you realize that Thibodeau gets far more criticism for overplaying guys than Doc does?

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2013-03-03/joakim-noah-comments-bulls-coach-tom-thibodeau-playing-time-minutes-luol-deng

And that in fact some blame Rose's injury on Thibodeau's overplaying him?

http://www.chicagonow.com/dutch-oven/2012/11/tom-thibodeau-almost-done-ruining-luol-dengs-career/

If you google "Tom Thibodeau overplaying" you get a bunch of articles like the ones above.

If you google "Doc Rivers overplaying" the first one you get is an article about him NOT overplaying Pierce and Garnett during the regular season:

http://nesn.com/2012/11/doc-rivers-draws-hard-line-against-overplaying-kevin-garnett-paul-pierce-in-early-season-despite-celtics-struggles/

But of course, these are facts, and you have your opinion about what is "obvious to players who played this game on any level," and never the twain shall meet.

« Reply #64 on: May 08, 2013, 12:06:13 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I think Doc is as strong as his assistant coaches. Before Thibs, he seemed like a very weak coach. During the Thibs/Frank era, Doc looked very good in the playoffs. I'm not sure if Longabardi, Hill, and Eastman are anything but yes men.  :-\
He won Coach of the Year before ever being around Thibs.

I've never understood that Orlando team. They went 41-41 and did not make the playoffs. Fans realized years later, that team had more talent than originally thought.

Ben Wallace
Anthony Parker
Earl Boykins
Matt Harpring
Darrell Armstrong
Chucky Atkins
Chris Gatling
Bo Outlaw
Monty Williams
Ron Mercer

Also, their assistant coaches weren't bad.

Pressey
Wohl-I liked him in Boston
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #65 on: May 08, 2013, 12:15:32 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think Doc is as strong as his assistant coaches. Before Thibs, he seemed like a very weak coach. During the Thibs/Frank era, Doc looked very good in the playoffs. I'm not sure if Longabardi, Hill, and Eastman are anything but yes men.  :-\

I've never understood that Orlando team. They went 41-41 and did not make the playoffs. Fans realized years later, that team had more talent than originally thought.

Ben Wallace
Anthony Parker
Earl Boykins
Matt Harpring
Darrell Armstrong
Chucky Atkins
Chris Gatling
Bo Outlaw
Monty Williams
Ron Mercer

Pressey
That team was God awful and it was a miracle Doc got them to .500. That's why he got coach of the year. He didn't have Ben Wallace on his team like people remember Ben Wallace. He had raw, doesn't know what he is doing, Ben Wallace.

« Reply #66 on: May 08, 2013, 12:41:43 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

Ben Wallace
Anthony Parker
Earl Boykins
Matt Harpring
Darrell Armstrong
Chucky Atkins
Chris Gatling
Bo Outlaw
Monty Williams
Ron Mercer

Pressey
That team was God awful and it was a miracle Doc got them to .500. That's why he got coach of the year. He didn't have Ben Wallace on his team like people remember Ben Wallace. He had raw, doesn't know what he is doing, Ben Wallace.

Actually Mercer, Gatling, Parker, Boykins and Harpring were not really core members of the rotation. Gatling was a year away from retirement and was traded for Mercer, who only played 31 games for ORL (he was good when he played though). Parker, Harpring and Boykins played a total of 21 games, they were very young.

The core was this by minutes played:

Darrell Armstrong
Bo Outlaw
Ben Wallace
Jon Amaechi
Chucky Atkins
Monty Williams
Pat Garrity
Corey Maggette
Michael Doleac
Tariq Abdul-Wahad

Armstrong and Outlaw were at their peaks, and pretty much their best players. Wallace had a good year (1.3bpg/2.4spg) and was just on the verge of his breakout.

They were a pretty good defensive team obviously, and better offensively than I would have expected. I think they played at a fast pace.

I don't know, looking at that roster it seems pretty impressive to be .500. Would you take that talent over that on this year's Celtics team (41-40) or this year's Jazz team (43-39)? Or Mavs (41-41)?

If you go by PER they only had one guy (Armstrong) with a PER above 15.3, and 5 with a PER above 12.

This year we had 3 guys above 15.3 and 10 above 12. (Murky because of injuries though)

Dallas this year had 6 above 15.3 and 8 above 12.

Utah this year had 7 above 15.3 and 8 above 12.

This is a very rough way to evaluate the talent of course (PER under-values defense for one thing).

« Reply #67 on: May 08, 2013, 05:38:57 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 670
  • You say when......

Popovich
Thibs. List over

Yes I watch every game, I also understand saying "do you really even watch the games" means you have nothing to say to back up your opinions.

Who would you have played? Shav? the Knicks would have run pick and rolls to get Shav isolated on Carmelo. Needless to say Shav was a free agent we signed from China, there was a reason he wasn't in the league.

Wilcox: 12.8 rebounding percentage but terrible on defensive rotations. He might have gotten a board or two more but he would have cost us many more points than those rebounds would be worth.

You think they should have played Darko? A guy who hasn't been an above average rebounder since 09' (according to the percentage of available rebounds he gets)

The thing that truly bothers me about the Doc haters is the arrogance to think they know better than Doc. Doc is a coach of a year, a championship coach,  a coach that spends every day with his team watching them play and gauging how good they are.

Give it a rest now.....We aren't going to change anything here....you said your side, I said mine....enough.

« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2013, 04:07:01 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54

Popovich
Thibs. List over

not free agents
veterans and friends of his