Author Topic: Knicks (3-2) at Celtics (2-3) Game 6 5/3  (Read 77002 times)

Knicks (3-2) at Celtics (2-3) Game 6 5/3
« on: May 02, 2013, 10:33:17 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11844
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 
New York Knicks (3-2) at Boston Celtics (2-3)
Friday, May 3, 2013
7:00 PM ET
Playoff Game #6, Home Game #3
TV:  ESPN, NBAC, CSNNE, MSG
TD Garden

Probable Starting Matchups

Probable Starters
Point Guard
vs
Avery Bradley vs Pablo Prigioni

Shooting Guard
vs 
Paul Pierce vs Raymond Felton

Small Forward 
vs
Jeff Green vs Iman Shumpert

Power Forward
vs 
Brandon Bass vs Carmelo Anthony

Center

vs
Kevin Garnett vs Tyson Chandler

Celtics Reserves
Shavlik Randolph
Courtney Lee
Terrence Williams
Jason Terry
DJ White
Jordan Crawford
Chris Wilcox
Fab Melo

Injuries
Rajon Rondo (knee) out
Jared Sullinger (back) out

Knicks Reserves
James White
Quinton Richardson
Steve Novak
Jason Kidd
Kenyon Martin
JR Smith
Marcus Camby

Injuries
Amar'e Stoudemire (knee) out

Game Notes

The Celtics continue their quest to become the first team in NBA history to come back from being down 0-3 to win a series.  Doc looked to the 2004 Red Sox for inspiration for the Celtics comeback hopes.  The Red Sox comeback is legendary in Boston.  It helps that it was against another hated New York team, the Yankees. After losing the first three games of the series, the Red Sox won 4 straight to beat the Yankees and went on to sweep St. Louis to win the World Series.

Not only has no team come back from an 0-3 deficit to win a series, but only three times in NBA history has a team rallied from an 0-3 deficit to even force a game 7 in a series.  The Knicks did it in 1951 against the Rochester Royals, the Denver Nuggets came back against Utah in `94 and Portland did against Dallas in 2003.  None were able to capitalize and win that 7th game, however. 

The 2004 Red Sox title win ended an 86-year title drought so at least the Celtics haven't waited that long.    The Knicks have to be feeling some pressure after allowing the Celtics to win the last 2 games, one of which was on their home court.   They haven't won a playoff series since 2000, and their last championship came in 1973.   The Celtics have the pressure of needing to win to keep their season alive, but they have the momentum after winning the last two games. 

The Knicks did a lot of trash talking before game 5.   JR Smith said that the Celtics only won because he wasn't playing in game 4.  Kenyon Martin talked about giving the Celtics a funeral in game 5 and they all wore black funeral clothes to the game.  The Celtics refused to respond before the game, preferring to concentrate on basketball.   Jordan Crawford, who didn't play in game 5, caused a skirmish after the game and hopefully that won't fire up the Knicks going into game 6.   The Celtics need to once again concentrate on basketball. 

Keys to the Game
Bench Play  -  In game 5, Doc went just 7 deep with Jason Terry and Terrence Williams the only reserves he played.  Both played well, combining for 21 points, 8 rebounds, and 5 assists, and most importantly,  Williams handled the ball well against the Knicks pressure and also played some good defense.   It would be great to get a bit more from the bench so as not to burn out the starters. 

Defense -  Defense wins championships and the Celtics ability to win this game will once again depend on their ability to get stops.  The Celtics must once again stay on the Knicks shooters beyond the arc as if they get hot, they can bury you with 3 pointers.  They also have to defend the paint to keep them from getting easy scores at the basket. 

Execution on  Offense -  The Celtics have improved their execution on offense in the past 2 games.  They have to continue to move the ball and find the open man.  They also have to make smart passes and limit turnovers as the Knicks are very good at scoring off of them. 

Be Aggressive - The Celtics must be the more aggressive team.  They have to win the 50-50 balls.  They must be more aggressive in diving for loose balls, going for rebounds, and driving to the basket.  The more aggressive team usually gets the benefit of the calls and also usually wins the game.  We know the Knicks are going to be aggressive and try to close out the series and the Celtics must be more so.  The Celtics simply must want this game more than the Knicks. 

Rebound - The Celtics must make an effort to crash the boards and win the rebounding battle.  They can limit the Knicks second chance points as well as their fast breaks by beating them to the rebounds.  It is crucial for every player to fight for rebounds. 

X-Factors
Home Court and Heart
This game is going to come down to heart.  How much do the Celtics really want this game.  They have played well at home over the season and although they didn't respond to the home crowd in game 3, they won game 4 at home.  Now they need to feed off the crowd and once again, dig deep to try to force a game 7 and keep their playoff hopes alive.   

Re: Knicks (3-2) at Celtics (2-3) Game 6 5/3
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 11:05:46 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Boston strong.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 11:42:16 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Go C's.

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 12:42:22 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
GO KG. !

;)

bar fight tomorrow night

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 01:37:17 AM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
Please Please Please WIN! PAAALEASE!!!

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 03:52:47 AM »

Offline NocturnalRebel

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
I feel good about this game. If any team can make history coming back from 0-3 and win a series, it's this team against these Knicks. Tha momentum has shifted tha Celtics way and game 6 will be in their home. This is a game Boston must win. While tha pressure is still on tha Knicks, it is a must that Boston come through in game 6.

They have tha Knicks shook right now and they have to keep attacking while they are still uneasy. Knicks haven't won anything in 43 years and act as if they have. Tha Celtics currently pose a threat to make history and they can do it against these Knicks. I look for a hell of a game to be played by tha Celtics tonight. Go C's.
Loyalty Is Royalty

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 04:07:54 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
TP FL

ohh sheesh not sure could take a close nail biter lets step on their throats, tighten the screws ;D
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 08:14:07 AM »

Offline JOMVP

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 100
Bring your hard hat, your hammer and nails, cause we going to work.

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 08:54:10 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Team goes where KG goes.  I got my fingers crossed.  C'mon Celtics, let's tie this sucker up

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 08:56:23 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Go C's!!  TP FL for what will hopefully not be your last game thread of the season.

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 09:13:46 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
We need Terry and Green to come up big again if we want to win. Go C's, let's make history!!!!!

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2013, 09:26:25 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Make it go 7!!!
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2013, 09:34:25 AM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2003
Thrilled that we made it to game 6 considering how we played in the first 3.  But now it leaves me wanting more.

Celtics in 7.

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2013, 10:13:27 AM »

Offline The Rondo Show

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 364
  • Hook 'Em
Go Terrence ! Go Celtics !
DKC Suns

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2013, 01:06:38 PM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
I pray to The Supreme Leprecahn that I do the right things to find our third straight victory tonight and keep our careers going. There will be green blood on my sock tonight. All I ever wanted was an opportunity. I have one more opportunity at 4 pm on the corner of 33rd Ave and McGraw to make basketball a good game.
The beatings will continue until morale improves