Author Topic: 2013 CB Historical Draft: Interest Thread, Rules(page 2), We Need Panelists  (Read 29502 times)

Re: 2013 CB Historical Draft: Interest Thread and Rules(page 2)?
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2013, 04:06:50 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
What if I change the year to 1992-1993?

I don't regulars not participating simply because the era doesn't fit them. I can change that, I just figured this is the Historical Draft, why not go back, read about some of these players and learn something about the history of the game we all love.

But if the era I chose is too far back, I will change it to accommodate more participation.

I'm down with '92-'93.

But if Don says this will be more fun as it makes you dig into your basketball knowledge more, then I guess I will say Challenge Accepted on '82-'83.

Don sold me. Better do some research now though.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2013, 05:14:00 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
I don't even know what this is.  ???
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2013, 06:15:02 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I'm surprised people do not know a lot about the players of beginning of the Bird-Magic era.

« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2013, 06:16:13 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
I don't even know what this is.  ???
The rules are on page 2. Its like the Pick 2 Draft or the CB Draft except with players from the past.

« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2013, 06:29:50 PM »

Offline The Rondo Show

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 364
  • Hook 'Em
I would be willing to participate. However, being 18 I don't know much about early 80's basketball outside the all-time greats from that era
DKC Suns

« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2013, 06:37:49 PM »

Offline ronaldo943

• NFT
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 513
I'm surprised people do not know a lot about the players of beginning of the Bird-Magic era.

Last year i think you did an year after MJ as in everyone drafted an year after him could be picked then why dont you do everyone drafted an year before him so instead of just 82-83 season from 1950-1982 that way we can still have nice variety

« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2013, 07:19:01 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Last year i think you did an year after MJ as in everyone drafted an year after him could be picked then why dont you do everyone drafted an year before him so instead of just 82-83 season from 1950-1982 that way we can still have nice variety
Here's the thing. Every year there will be a different format for a different era. The first year, IIRC, was the after 1990 version. The next year was an All-Time draft. Last year was the draft lottery era which I think entailed everyone after 1985.

So three times so far I have included in the format, players from the past included with present or recent players. I wanted to do a draft that didn't include the recent players but wasn't so far back as to make it so that only 50+ year old people would know who to pick.

So, I think I will stick with the format and the season and if it means a much smaller event this year, then so be it. My original concept for this was to talk about the history of the game, the history of the players and to get people who follow this draft to learn, maybe a little more, about the history of the game they love so much.

I want people looking up the stats of former players. I want people going back and reading about former teams and players. I want people to realize the best of the best players don't include just the modern players.

I hope that clears things up.

EDIT: One of the other things that have been critiqued about this endeavor is that most of the drafts have been made of teams where everyone is great. So, make it more difficult by doing this or that or some other thing. This, I believe, will, at least for this year, address that concern. If it turns out poorly, then I will go to a more expanded era with lots more "name" players in the future.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 07:25:07 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2013, 07:21:49 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
I would be willing to participate. However, being 18 I don't know much about early 80's basketball outside the all-time greats from that era
More than glad to have you and as the rules state, if you want advice, there will be some great panelists to talk to about the older players.

Besides, no team is going to be that bad. Realize that there will probably be somewhere in the order of 2-4 Hall of Fame players on each team

« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2013, 07:34:34 PM »

Offline ronaldo943

• NFT
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 513

Here's the thing. Every year there will be a different format for a different era. The first year, IIRC, was the after 1990 version. The next year was an All-Time draft. Last year was the draft lottery era which I think entailed everyone after 1985.

So three times so far I have included in the format, players from the past included with present or recent players. I wanted to do a draft that didn't include the recent players but wasn't so far back as to make it so that only 50+ year old people would know who to pick.

So, I think I will stick with the format and the season and if it means a much smaller event this year, then so be it. My original concept for this was to talk about the history of the game, the history of the players and to get people who follow this draft to learn, maybe a little more, about the history of the game they love so much.

I want people looking up the stats of former players. I want people going back and reading about former teams and players. I want people to realize the best of the best players don't include just the modern players.

I hope that clears things up.

EDIT: One of the other things that have been critiqued about this endeavor is that most of the drafts have been made of teams where everyone is great. So, make it more difficult by doing this or that or some other thing. This, I believe, will, at least for this year, address that concern. If it turns out poorly, then I will go to a more expanded era with lots more "name" players in the future.

You made a good point im down when will the draft start?.

« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2013, 07:40:47 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
I'm going to do what I can to drum up some more people this week. Team assignments and the draft lottery will be this Friday. Draft starts the Monday after. Al;l the details are in the Rules area on page 2.

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=64546.msg1461853#msg1461853

« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2013, 09:41:02 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I am perfectly happy doing 82-83.  My only concern is that there were only 23 teams in the league, so by the 10th, 11th, and 12th rounds there are going to be some fairly crappy players getting drafted (you know for a historical draft).  I think that adds some to the draft as a whole, but it is definitely something to ponder.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2013, 10:05:25 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I am perfectly happy doing 82-83.  My only concern is that there were only 23 teams in the league, so by the 10th, 11th, and 12th rounds there are going to be some fairly crappy players getting drafted (you know for a historical draft).  I think that adds some to the draft as a whole, but it is definitely something to ponder.

How about we just do 10 rounds then?

Staters and backups?
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2013, 10:11:13 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Yes but we won't be having anywhere near 23 teams, so that will eliminate a lot of the end of bench scrubs. Also, the player you take doesn't have to be represented by the 1982-83 season. So, although they might have had a bad 1982-83 they could have been an All-Star or even a Hall of Famer earlier or later in their career. So that is going to seriously upgrade the talent.

If we end up with somewhere between 12-14 teams, each team is going to have at least 2-3 Hall of Famers and probably 4-6 former All-Star players. So even the end of bench players for each team(players 9-12 on each team) will be good players just not well known unless you know the era. It will make it more difficult, which was part of the point of doing it this way.

« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2013, 12:02:14 AM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
I'm in if I can get a co-gm to help with making picks due to work restrictions (ie not being able to access the site).

« Reply #59 on: May 05, 2013, 03:34:43 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Need a CO-GM. PM me people, especially if you want to play but don't feel you know enough, we can work together.