Poll

What should the Celtics organisation do?

Let Rondo and KG have one more ride, with or without Pierce.
9 (25.7%)
Complete tank/lottery/pray for top 3 pick +acquire more picks mode
6 (17.1%)
Mini Rebuild: Tank next season while Rondo recovers, get top 3 pick, sign FA's to create a new Celtics contender
13 (37.1%)
None of the above.
7 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Author Topic: So what's Danny's plan next season? What do you think we should do?  (Read 7872 times)

Re: So what's Danny's plan next season? What do you think we should do?
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2013, 12:31:25 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

Of course there will be a race to the bottom, but why not gamble when there are two game changers to be had?

The gamble didn't pay off the last two times the Celtics tanked for a top lottery pick.
Well as lightspeed mentions above, there are these two superstars, with a feast of other all star potential level guys to be had. If we could get a top 5 pick AND sign two major free agents to play with Rondo, we'd have to be in a decent position by 2015. (at least to me).
If you're not a fan of missing the playoffs, what do you think our best plan is going forward?
What do we do once KG and Pierce are gone if it's not next year?

We have Green, Rondo, Sully, Bradley + a whole bunch of capspace.
Is that enough to trade or turn us into a contender?
What do you propose?
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2013, 12:34:39 AM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
red auerbach wouldnt have tanked, he would have somehow obtained a 2014 unprotected pick from a bottom-dweller in a trade 5+ years prior to the draft, predicting the greatness of that year after seeing wiggins and parker in middle school balling out of control.

thats how he got the len bias pick.

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2013, 12:45:31 AM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

Of course there will be a race to the bottom, but why not gamble when there are two game changers to be had?

The gamble didn't pay off the last two times the Celtics tanked for a top lottery pick.
Well as lightspeed mentions above, there are these two superstars, with a feast of other all star potential level guys to be had. If we could get a top 5 pick AND sign two major free agents to play with Rondo, we'd have to be in a decent position by 2015. (at least to me).
If you're not a fan of missing the playoffs, what do you think our best plan is going forward?

What do you propose?

Something similar, actually. Just a year later.

I don't believe a top 5 pick is a realistic goal for next season, even with Rondo out. I'd like to see Ainge clear the roster of long-term contracts, positioning the team to move forward with as much cap space as possible once Pierce and KG come off the books. At the same time, assuming KG and Pierce both are back next season, I'd like to see another attempt to hang around and make the playoffs as a low seed--especially considering how many teams have lost key players to injury this year. Who's to say it isn't Miami who gets struck by lightning next year?

I think the team's best/likeliest shot to rebuild is through opportunistic and judicious use of cap space, not by winning the lottery. You can't plan for luck.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 12:51:16 AM by Lucky17 »
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2013, 01:04:15 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

What do you propose?

Something similar, actually. Just a year later.

I don't believe a top 5 pick is a realistic goal for next season, even with Rondo out. I'd like to see Ainge clear the roster of long-term contracts, positioning the team to move forward with as much cap space as possible once Pierce and KG come off the books. At the same time, assuming KG and Pierce both are back next season, I'd like to see another attempt to hang around and make the playoffs as a low seed--especially considering how many teams have lost key players to injury this year. Who's to say it isn't Miami who gets struck by lightning next year?

I think the team's best/likeliest shot to rebuild is through opportunistic and judicious use of cap space, not by winning the lottery. You can't plan for luck.

I like the last bit.  Never play for the draft.

I'm pretty excited to have Rondo, Green, and Sully going forward, and each for decent-to-great money deals.

I'm looking to trade anyone else on the roster for the player that's better than any of those three (or at least close to Rondo's level at another position).

And we're back in the race.

Terry, Bass, Bradley, Lee, Crawford, et. al. are all pieces that can be changed, replaced, or worked around.  They're all available, along with the pick(s).

My favorite role players to keep are Lee and Bass.

Start at the top of the roster.  The rest ain't so bad.

I'd love to have a major big guy in the middle.  Seems to be Target #1 in my book.

Rondo
Lee
Green
Sully
BigMan

Bench:
Bass
Crawford
Bradley
Shav

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2013, 01:26:37 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Boston is one of the "IMPORTANT" franchises ... usually carries higher TV rating, huge world market appeal....it is necessary to maintain this appeal I believe.

I don't think "TANKING" is correct for teams such as Boston or LA.   You don't want to tank and become another Bobcat team.

Rome wasn't built in a day .   People , especially kids have no appreciation for goals achieved over long periods of time and their infrequency .

Throwing out the old and replacing with new is not always bettter , in fact the opposite occurs most times.  This thinking comes from lack of age and life experience .

Fortunately cooler heads will make the calls.

You make the best choices you can and go forward without whining , but what if s....

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2013, 01:46:55 AM »

Offline bobbyv

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 32

What do you propose?
Except we won't have a whole bunch of capspace.

With Pierce and KG gone next season, we're still right at the cap. That means no big free agent signees. We'd probably be better off running it until Pierce and KG fully retire, by then could at least be some demand for Bass and Terry's contracts (assuming they're still around)

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2013, 02:03:40 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
We aren't going to tank with Rondo, Green, Bradley, Bass, etc. It's too easy to make the playoffs... and despite what everyone always thought, I bet Rondo thrives when he has full reigns.

Say KG retires... I doubt Pierce does. I doubt he flip him, too, but if we do... we get something decent enough in return to make the playoffs in the East. The Bucks made it...

We are definitely not going to rebuild through the draft. Don't think people understand how difficult that is... we won't ever be bad enough, ironically
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2013, 02:43:08 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Really depends what KG and PP do.   Then you make a decision to have one more go or blow it up.  But even so the cupboard is not bare, with Sully, Green, Rondo and Bradley. 

Bass is too short for my taste to defend the rim and doesn't rebound.   I would try to trade him for a big that can do those things.  Terry,I would try to unload.  I'd look hard at Lee and Crawford and try to move them.

I would keep Williams and Randolph because they would be cheap to do so.

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2013, 04:00:10 AM »

Offline bobbyv

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 32
Trade Rondo, Green, and Lee for AL Jeff and Milsap

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2013, 04:13:24 AM »

Offline Smutzy#9

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42

If i was going for bigs id ask for Monroe and Singler from detroit

« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2013, 04:45:14 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

I like the Detroit idea better, this has not worked well for Utah.

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2013, 05:39:06 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

I agree, AlJeff and Milsap, individually or together, are not the answer.

And to those who say the last 'tank' didn't work, without that fifth pick there would have been no Ray Allen and no KG.

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2013, 05:44:11 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367

I agree, AlJeff and Milsap, individually or together, are not the answer.

And to those who say the last 'tank' didn't work, without that fifth pick there would have been no Ray Allen and no KG.

Was it 'tank'?

I'm under the impression it's more 'suck' and not on purpose either.

« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2013, 05:46:56 AM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
people are overly down on the trade chips the c's have, not the actual evaluations of the players, but actual trade chips, kg if he retires becomes one hell of a trade chip, because once he negotiates his buyout he comes of the cap immediately, if kg wants to retire and is willing to accept a next to nothing buyout thats a pretty good piece  of trade bait, for example you could package kg contract with bradley, and try and execute a sign and trade for  a big al, josh smith etc, tyreke evans etc

similarly paul if decides to retire his contract can become an asset although to a lesser extent cause his buyout is already worked out for 5 million.

One of the key to the offseason will be to stay below the apron, because teams that wish to execute sign and trade are not allowed to go above the apron, for that reason i can't see ainge picking up pauls 10 million dollar option, which doesn't neccasary mean getting rid of paul, cos i think they could resign him for the MLE if they stayed below the apron.

« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2013, 07:02:09 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
So we give up our all star point guard to become the Boston Jazz?
They already tried those two in Utah...
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.