Poll

What should the Celtics organisation do?

Let Rondo and KG have one more ride, with or without Pierce.
9 (25.7%)
Complete tank/lottery/pray for top 3 pick +acquire more picks mode
6 (17.1%)
Mini Rebuild: Tank next season while Rondo recovers, get top 3 pick, sign FA's to create a new Celtics contender
13 (37.1%)
None of the above.
7 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Author Topic: So what's Danny's plan next season? What do you think we should do?  (Read 7889 times)

Re: So what's Danny's plan next season? What do you think we should do?
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2013, 09:01:26 AM »

Offline green7

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
The whole deandre & Eric for kg deal, doesn't seem so bad to me at the moment.

« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2013, 09:19:35 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
It all starts with whether KG and Pierce retire, I am assuming they do.

Next we should see if any teams with cap space/trade exceptions want to take Terry and/or Bass off our hands.

Go after Nikola Pekovic, if we can sign him outright great. If Minnesota wants to match we can dangle Courtney Lee.

See what Josh Smith will want for a contract. Maybe because he wants to play in Boston with Rondo he will give us a discount, if he wants near max money let him go somewhere else.

If we have any extra money after signing one of the two above, find some veterans that won't break the bank but can be a steadying presence for the younger guys. Like Tony Allen, Kyle Korver, Shawn Marion, Lamar Odom, Mike Dunleavy, Elton Brand, Chris Kaman, Samuel Dalembert, Al Jefferson (provided he takes a discount to come back) and Tiago Splitter.

IF we are not able to clear enough cap space to sign free agents (if KG retires and we don't amnesty Pierce we will only have $4-6 MM). We roll with a starting lineup of drafted center, sully, Green, Bradley, Rondo watch as we barely miss the playoffs and hope to get lucky in a loaded draft.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2013, 09:35:14 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402

Next we should see if any teams with cap space/trade exceptions want to take Terry and/or Bass off our hands.

Go after Nikola Pekovic, if we can sign him outright great. If Minnesota wants to match we can dangle Courtney Lee.

See what Josh Smith will want for a contract. Maybe because he wants to play in Boston with Rondo he will give us a discount, if he wants near max money let him go somewhere else.

If we have any extra money after signing one of the two above, find some veterans that won't break the bank but can be a steadying presence for the younger guys. Like Tony Allen, Kyle Korver, Shawn Marion, Lamar Odom, Mike Dunleavy, Elton Brand, Chris Kaman, Samuel Dalembert, Al Jefferson (provided he takes a discount to come back) and Tiago Splitter.

IF we are not able to clear enough cap space to sign free agents (if KG retires and we don't amnesty Pierce we will only have $4-6 MM). We roll with a starting lineup of drafted center, sully, Green, Bradley, Rondo watch as we barely miss the playoffs and hope to get lucky in a loaded draft.

Pekovic and Josh Smith would be an interesting big man combination.

I think they would complement one another well and work well together. Pekovic's physical power and interior play combined with Smith's quickness and versatility. Nice combo.

« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2013, 10:17:58 AM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40
DA has to leave. In last 3 season he destroyed the team. The ownership has to think about new GM. How about having Doc like Fergusson(Man U) coach and GM in the same time??

« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2013, 10:42:30 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

I think they would complement one another well and work well together. Pekovic's physical power and interior play combined with Smith's quickness and versatility. Nice combo.
I agree but in order for that to happen we would probably need to find teams that were willing to take Bass and Terry with no salary coming back here. Then we would need to make a sign and trade with Lee to bring in Pekovic.

Not only would those two compliment each other well. Green and Smoove would be one of the more athletic 3/4 combinations in the league. Pekovic and Sully together could beat teams up inside.

How about it how good to people think this team would be (provided they could add someone with the MLE and bring in some vets to round out the roster?)
5-Pek, 1st round pick
4-Smith, Sully,
3-Green,
2-Bradley, Crawford
1-Rondo,
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2013, 10:51:44 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
DA has to leave. In last 3 season he destroyed the team. The ownership has to think about new GM. How about having Doc like Fergusson(Man U) coach and GM in the same time??

How did he destroy the team?
He built a championship team from scraps and if not for KG's injury we'd have 19 to 20 banners hanging in the rafters, let alone a contender for 5 seasons. He rolled the dice on Perkins going and Shaq's foot situation but that's the kind of GM he is.

Without Ainge there is no title in 2008- he put us in position to win 3 or 4 championships. He couldn't control the injuries or the forming of the Heat- but his genius created the blueprint for the rest of the NBA. He's the reason we're seeing these 'Big 3' squads gaining so much popularity.
We owe a heck of a lot to Danny Ainge and he deserves more credit and more respect.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2013, 10:54:04 AM »

Offline bobbyv

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 32

I agree but in order for that to happen we would probably need to find teams that were willing to take Bass and Terry with no salary coming back here. Then we would need to make a sign and trade with Lee to bring in Pekovic.

Not only would those two compliment each other well. Green and Smoove would be one of the more athletic 3/4 combinations in the league. Pekovic and Sully together could beat teams up inside.

How about it how good to people think this team would be (provided they could add someone with the MLE and bring in some vets to round out the roster?)
5-Pek, 1st round pick
4-Smith, Sully,
3-Green,
2-Bradley, Crawford
1-Rondo,
So in other words, it's not gonna happen.

« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2013, 10:55:57 AM »

Offline snowball

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 47
Mini-Rebuild
Keep PP KG
Pick up another backup PG
Get a FA Big Man inside to mentor Fab

« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2013, 11:36:34 AM »

Offline birdwatcher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 126
  • Another undersized Celtic...
The league is trending towards small ball, so I would expect we have a similar make up as to what we've had since '07. A few guys who can play multiple positions like Green and Pierce, big men who can stretch the floor and create spacing, and a couple physical guys who are quick and strong enough to guard guys like Lebron, Dwade, Melo, etc...And like the Knicks, Heat and Spurs, lots of really good spot up shooters.
I think it's funny that Courtney Lee hasn't really blossomed here. I know he doesn't necessarily create his own shots, but what happened to all the double screens and pick and pops that we used to run with Ray?
Anyway, I think KG will probably hang it up, he had a pretty solid season but he looks more and more cooked every game. Pierce still has some juice, but we can't ride him like we have in the past, but I bet he stays. Rondo will be here, because we won't get value back for him until the league sees if he comes back 100% from his injury. Everyone wants Josh Smith, but I am not a fan. He's talented but has the Antoine Walker tendency to think he's a 2 guard. I think they may actually give Lee another shot next year, because his defense can really make up for what he's been lacking on offense, which is mostly confidence. I think our best trade assets are Pierce and Bradley, and would not be totally surprised to hear their names floated around this summer.
To the OP, I have no idea what we should do, HA!

« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2013, 12:24:33 PM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40

How did he destroy the team?

How did he destroy the team? Let see...

1.financial disaster: he offers 15 min/season PP ate age of 35...big stupidity, same think for KG, ate age of 36 offering him  10 mill/season. This is waste of money...other ownership will fire you right way. You can sign PP or KG for maximum 4-5 mill/season not more than that, spending the rest of money to bring younger good players
2.from 2011 he did not sing any great centre to replace Perk
3. tried to get of rid of Ray every trade line from 2010, when Ray is one of the best shoters of the league.
4. when Rondo, Barbosa and Sully are out, he is doing ridiculous things finding junky players to fill the roster. So, why not Delonte West, K.Martin etc???

« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2013, 12:38:57 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
All depends on the decisions of KG and PP

« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2013, 12:42:10 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
5-Pek, 1st round pick
4-Smith, Sully,
3-Green,
2-Bradley, Crawford
1-Rondo,

I would think that is somewhere around a 50 win roster.

« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2013, 12:50:49 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 872
  • GOT IT!!!
I'm just gonna say, I can't fathom missing the playoffs. I'm sure lots of fans don't like to watch a tanking team.

Being a middle of the road playoff team is not much different than missing the playoffs in my eyes. The organization should be doing everything in their power to get #18 and beyond.

« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2013, 12:53:00 PM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
Fire Doc and Danny - Promote KG coach and PP GM.

I know that it is a bit rash but the chainges are coming.

Next year is toast no matter what happens. 2013 and 2014 will not be happy years in Celtics land.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2013, 01:01:24 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
It's not Danny's plan that matters - it's KG's.