Author Topic: Our Legacy: Poor Man's Detroit Pistons  (Read 3966 times)

Re: Our Legacy: Poor Man's Detroit Pistons
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2013, 05:10:19 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
Tp for the breakdown. It is a good comparison. We are probably whe Detroit was in 09, let us just hope doesn't make the same mistake Dumars did.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2013, 05:10:37 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Detroit didn't have an in-his-prime star (Rondo) to build around after their core of older players petered out.  Boston does.

Big difference.
Maybe.  I don't think Rondo makes the all-star team next year.

You're also the same guy who's been saying we wouldn't miss a beat in the playoffs without him.

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2013, 05:15:31 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Detroit didn't have an in-his-prime star (Rondo) to build around after their core of older players petered out.  Boston does.

Big difference.

You're also the same guy who's been saying we wouldn't miss a beat in the playoffs without him.
I didn't realize KG and Pierce were completely washed up.   Rondo wouldn't make a difference in this series if those guys continued to play as poorly as they have.  The era is over... the Big 3 is toast.  So are the Celtics.  It's just like the end of the Pistons mini-era.

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2013, 05:21:41 PM »

Offline get_banners

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 100
we had about as much success as detroit, but with major injuries/terrible luck. i don't remember that pistons team dealing with that many significant injuries. i think that says a lot about this team. as unlucky as you can get re: injuries, but grit and balls to the death. i'd take our healthy team over ANY of those pistons teams. we were better on defense and offense.

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2013, 05:31:15 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
we had about as much success as detroit, but with major injuries/terrible luck. i don't remember that pistons team dealing with that many significant injuries. i think that says a lot about this team. as unlucky as you can get re: injuries, but grit and balls to the death. i'd take our healthy team over ANY of those pistons teams. we were better on defense and offense.
I mean that's partially due to the fact that the Pistons were younger than Boston is now... not to mention that they were actually good for 8 years (the two 50 win seasons prior to Sheed's arrival) and not 6.

But that final playoff year when they were swept in Round 1:

Rip was 30, Sheed was 34, Billups was 32... Prince was 28

By comparison:

Ray is 37 (not even with us anymore), KG is 37, Pierce is 35... Rondo is 27.

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2013, 05:34:47 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Also funny is that Ben Wallace's last full season with Detroit was 2005-06... which matches up with Perk's final full season with Boston in 2009-10.  Eerie, I tell you.  EERIE! 

Prepping for 4+ years of Lotto Hell.

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2013, 05:36:59 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Big difference.

I didn't realize KG and Pierce were completely washed up.   Rondo wouldn't make a difference in this series if those guys continued to play as poorly as they have.  The era is over... the Big 3 is toast.  So are the Celtics.  It's just like the end of the Pistons mini-era.

They didn't suddenly become washed up in the last few weeks. They're suffering under trying to carry the load Rondo normally does. KG can still knock down open jumpers, he just doesn't see very many of them in a half court game without Rondo. KG's hurting a little but he's also pulling down over 12 boards a game, not what you'd see from a washed up player.

Edit: the only other time this team has looked uncompetitive in the playoffs was in 2011 when Rondo was injured. They looked quite a bit better a year older when he was back in the lineup, carrying that group to the ecf.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 06:04:34 PM by BballTim »

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2013, 02:40:32 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Big difference.

They didn't suddenly become washed up in the last few weeks. They're suffering under trying to carry the load Rondo normally does. KG can still knock down open jumpers, he just doesn't see very many of them in a half court game without Rondo. KG's hurting a little but he's also pulling down over 12 boards a game, not what you'd see from a washed up player.

Edit: the only other time this team has looked uncompetitive in the playoffs was in 2011 when Rondo was injured. They looked quite a bit better a year older when he was back in the lineup, carrying that group to the ecf.
Tim... do you honestly expect Boston to be a contender again when Rondo returns?  I don't even think we'll make the playoffs.

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2013, 03:54:11 AM »

Offline bobbyv

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 32

Big difference.

Tim... do you honestly expect Boston to be a contender again when Rondo returns?  I don't even think we'll make the playoffs.
Weren't you the guy who said we'd beat the Knicks in 6?

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2013, 04:42:20 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Maybe that is your legacy but mine includes 16 other banners.

« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2013, 05:04:37 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Big difference.

If we were playing with a healthy Rondo we'd probably be better than we were last year in the playoffs when we had no Green and no healthy shooting guards. I don't know if it's because what Rondo does is subtle or if it's because he makes things look so easy but you've never been able to see what Rondo adds to the team. Now we're seeing the team unable to get the easy looks and struggling in the half court game. Bring Rondo back and much of that goes away.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 05:58:19 AM by BballTim »

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2013, 06:21:02 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
They are older too.  Anyone who doesn't think that is in denial.

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2013, 09:26:13 PM »

Offline OmarSekou

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 93
I think this is accurate, but I don't have any issues with the Big 3 era being compared to the Pistons run in the 2000s. Those were good teams.

I don't think we'll end up like the Pistons. We have a better core of young players and they made a bunch of mistakes.
"Suit up every day."

« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2013, 09:27:36 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Where does the "Poor Man" part come from?
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2013, 09:32:04 PM »

Offline OmarSekou

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 93
Where does the "Poor Man" part come from?
Slightly fewer ECFs. Probably not really a "poor man's Pistons, but I'm guessing the OP is bitter with how we've looked recently.
"Suit up every day."