Author Topic: Do you think Danny Ainge will be on the hot seat?  (Read 6325 times)

Re: Do you think Danny Ainge will be on the hot seat?
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2013, 03:59:37 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I'd give him until 2015.  If by then he hasn't retooled the roster around Rondo, give him the boot.

That way, when it finally does become necessary to trade Rondo, and build through the draft (yuck), we can have a completely fresh start from the top down.

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2013, 04:33:29 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
IMO, the only thing that Danny did wrong was not blow it up last year. Just about everyone loved this team on paper at the start of the season. Of course we needed a Center, but they don't come cheap and we didn't have the assets to get a quality one. I would put more blame on Doc than Danny, the team was under performing all year even before the injuries.

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2013, 08:57:04 AM »

Offline Mr Green

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
But this year totally he fooled us around brinking junk like Crawford Co.

Yes Jordan Crawford isn't perfect, but he's better than having an injured Barbosa sitting on the bench next to Jason Collins, no?

Jordan Crawford isn't a player for playoff

Neither Jason Collins or an injured Barbosa are players for the playoffs.

Who do you suggest Danny should have acquired with those two players in a trade that would have been better than Crawford?

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2013, 10:23:00 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
I'd give him until 2015.  If by then he hasn't retooled the roster around Rondo, give him the boot.

That way, when it finally does become necessary to trade Rondo, and build through the draft (yuck), we can have a completely fresh start from the top down.

I think Danny wanted to blow it up midseason last year, which made sense, and Wyc put the brakes on it.  Danny's probably had a shorter leash with management since the Perk trade.  But who decided to reup for, essentially, another three years last summer just because the FA market was weak?  Was that Wyc and/or Danny?

I have a feeling that management has meddled sufficiently that they're not ready to hit Danny for decisions they imposed.  However, if KG retires, making it reasonable not to pay Pierce's last contract year in full, I think there is a chance that Doc goes.  And if Doc goes, I could see management at least taking stock of the situation, then ultimately still backing Danny for another rebuilding cycle.

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2013, 10:28:01 AM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40
IMO, the only thing that Danny did wrong was not blow it up last year. Just about everyone loved this team on paper at the start of the season. Of course we needed a Center, but they don't come cheap and we didn't have the assets to get a quality one. I would put more blame on Doc than Danny, the team was under performing all year even before the injuries.

This team need a center, and 2 great snipers...And he has 3 season fooling people around offering broken players. Stop it. Go home...

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2013, 10:41:52 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961

This team need a center, and 2 great snipers...And he has 3 season fooling people around offering broken players. Stop it. Go home...

we need a serious center , thats for sure....someone to build around.

kidnapp  Marc Gasol 

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2013, 10:43:02 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
No, I don't think he is or he will get a mulligan because of the Rondo injury.   He drafts well.  He got us a title.  His only mistake is allowing us to stay together for one too many runs.  I am sure Wyc, who seems hands on was all for this too.

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2013, 10:53:16 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I doubt it. He steered the ship from one rebuild into a championship I'm sure that ownership will trust him to do so another time around.

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2013, 10:57:10 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

If Ainge makes the mistake of trying to rebuild around Rondo, I guarantee you he's going to get fired.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2013, 10:58:18 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
But this year totally he fooled us around brinking junk like Crawford Co.

Yes Jordan Crawford isn't perfect, but he's better than having an injured Barbosa sitting on the bench next to Jason Collins, no?

Jordan Crawford isn't a player for playoff

Neither Jason Collins or an injured Barbosa are players for the playoffs.

Who do you suggest Danny should have acquired with those two players in a trade that would have been better than Crawford?

Barbosa is for sure.

One mistake I've just noticed (apart from, maybe, being too conservative with not signing KMart. I don't particularly feel strongly either way on missing out on KMart and Birdman, though) is betting too much on Sully.

As much as Danny hit the ultimate mega jackpot with Sully, he also made a mistake putting a lot of his chips in Sully (if he did intend on doing so in the first place, anyway). With Sully, we'd have been that much better but Sully had a red flag with bulging disks.

I'm saying this because Ainge probably scouted Sully very well.

« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2013, 10:59:43 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I could see him getting tired and walking away, because this season had to be hard on everyone, him included.  But he put together the first champion team in two decades, and entering this postseason the team had made it to at least the second round of the playoffs five years in a row.  We always knew this day would come, where the team just didn't have enough to compete.  To some it may have come a couple years later than expected, to others it may be a year or two early, but he clearly showed he has the wherewithal to put together a top team.

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2013, 11:05:36 AM »

Offline TheTruth34

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 10
Nope. Not even in the slightest.

This, quite simply.  Ownership recognizes Ainge as one of the best GMs in the game.  It's his job until he decides he wants to do something else.

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2013, 11:22:16 AM »

Offline RyNye

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 97
If Ainge makes the mistake of trying to rebuild around Rondo, I guarantee you he's going to get fired.

::)

« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2013, 11:22:40 AM »

Offline birdwatcher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 126
  • Another undersized Celtic...
All GMs make mistakes, and championships are not easy to win. The fact that we have had winning seasons since 2007, despite all of the injuries and the onset of aging superstars is no reason to be fired. In fact, I think Wyc and the ownership group had just as much say as to whether or not we hold on to KG and Pierce and not blow it up over the last couple seasons. Like it or not, its a business, and to keep all those revenue streams going in the Garden, from ticket sales, concessions, jerseys, etc--no fan is going to pony up the current ticket prices for a sub 500 team, even if it has Rondo and Jeff Green on it. Certainly no one is out there scooping up DJ White and Shavlik Randolph jerseys, not even those guys' parents!
The ownership group is committed to winning, but they are not "all in". They are business men that have to look at the bottom line, the future of the franchise and what direction their product is trending. I guess if we have few losing seasons after this, and there is no clear action plan in place for the development of the team, then yeah, maybe Danny's position would be in jeopardy. But not now, not next year or even the year after. They have been patient with him thus far, it won a championship, got us back to championship and were a few baskets away from going to another--he got Doc to re-sign. What would he get fired for? Not sealing the deal on the Clippers trade? Not getting Chris Paul? Trading Perk away a few years ago? Could you imagine how much more awful our offense would be if we still had Perk but no Green?
I say Danny has done a solid job, and look forward to him running the show for years to come.

« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2013, 11:33:04 AM »

Offline JOMVP

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 100
I think Ainge has done a pretty [dang] good job restocking this roster year after year given his available assets. I hate how everyone is looking back at this years offseason in hindsight saying he did a TERRIBLE job putting this roster together when everyone then were applauding how "Danny did it again! He stocked us up for another run." The GM gets the players, the players have to perform, thats the bottom line. If anything, its the coaching that should get the blame for not putting together a consistent vision for how he wants his team to function.

The only thing I put blame on Ainge for is not finding a good big man. However, I dont blame him during the trade deadline for not being able to get it done, he had zero assests to trade for one because his players werent performing.