Author Topic: Do you think Danny Ainge will be on the hot seat?  (Read 6326 times)

Do you think Danny Ainge will be on the hot seat?
« on: April 27, 2013, 09:34:27 AM »

Offline PaulPierce34G

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 110
  • Soul Glo
I honestly believe that if Ainge hadn't acquired KG/Ray Allen back in the summer of 2007, he would have lost his job with the Celtics sometime shortly thereafter.  The move brought him some longevity with retaining his position and now the team once again has to rebuild, get assets, try to obtain a new star or stars post-KG/Pierce (whenever that might be).

The owners of the team clearly care about their investment and want to see it do well. 

So with that being said, do you think Ainge is once again on the hot-seat, where if he doesn't perform well in roster management that he will eventually be fired?  If so, how long do you think the ownership gives him to bring this team back up to the upper echelon of the league?  Or will they allow him to be like Joe Dumars out in Detroit, since Joe D did construct a winning team for a number of years...however, Detroit hasn't truly been relevant in a few seasons now...

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 09:51:16 AM by PaulPierce34G »

Re: Do you think Danny Ainge will be on the hot seat?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 09:38:08 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'm not sure that any GM has 100% job security.  However, Danny has earned a lot of good will for the last five seasons.  I don't think ownership is going to want Danny's head for a season in which arguably our best player went down with a major injury.

Danny should get a little heat for his abject failure in finding a competent big man, though. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 09:41:42 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
DA.  survives this year and maybe next........if he doesn't restock the C's by summer 2015 .......he may well be history.

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 09:48:37 AM »

Offline Mr Green

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
If my memory serves correctly, Danny was keen to reconstruct the roster at the end of lst season but was talked out of doing it by the vets because they almost made it to the finals and wanted another run.

Either way, I don't think Danny or Doc are going to be shown the door by Wyc anytime soon. Both guys could walk straight into another position at most other NBA teams, plus I'm yet to see anyone suggest a better alternative as to who should replace them.   

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 09:50:39 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I think that whatever heat Ainge will feel is for the abject failure that the rebuild of this roster last summer was.

That isn't enough to cost him his job, in my opinion. However, he accomplished little or nothing bringing in Jason Terry, Courtney Lee, Crawford and he wasted a first-round draft choice on Melo. He had his worst summer as Celtics GM.

He can't be blamed for Rondo's injury - but conversely, Rondo is not the difference in this series. Far from it. The Knicks are the better team - and they have been since the season began.

His route to redemption is cloudy, and that door is practically locked if Pierce and Garnett don't retire, however.

So I would expect that he will get fired within the next three years. It's going to be VERY difficult for this club to improve.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 09:56:32 AM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40
This poor GM. Overrated and mediocre. From 2010-11, is trying to make the rooster poor. Trying every year to trade Ray (our best shooter and one of the best shooters of NBA) and bringing here broken players like Lee and Terry, trading Perking and not brinking a big man to substitute him. But this year totally he fooled us around brinking junk like Crawford Co. I do not know how the Cs ownership can still pay him. DA has to go...He is the big responsible for this crack

P.s. Getting KG in 2007 was an idea and maximum personal effort of Kevin Mchale

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 10:06:42 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Nope. Not even in the slightest.

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 10:09:48 AM »

Offline Mr Green

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
But this year totally he fooled us around brinking junk like Crawford Co.

Yes Jordan Crawford isn't perfect, but he's better than having an injured Barbosa sitting on the bench next to Jason Collins, no?

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2013, 02:37:42 PM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40

Yes Jordan Crawford isn't perfect, but he's better than having an injured Barbosa sitting on the bench next to Jason Collins, no?

Jordan Crawford isn't a player for playoff

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2013, 02:39:53 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Jordan Crawford isn't a player for playoff

Would you rather have an injured Barbosa.

Give the kid a break. He isnt who we need, but this is the kid's first playoff series, and he came in the system halfway through the season.

I say that's a great trade by Danny. FLipping something useless for someone who maybe big or bust, but someone who can play nonetheless.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2013, 02:43:53 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I say no.

He did a solid job this year I believe. He drafted a big which we needed. Signed Jason Terry and Courtney Lee, was able to trade an injured player for a young guy with potential. Was able to sign some bigs before the Playoffs to bolster front court.

Now, it's not his fault that Lee and Jet didn't pan out. That Melo's development is slow and Rondo getting injured and the bigs not even getting a sniff on the floor even though at times, we need them to.

If anything, the one should be on the hot seat is Doc and this ridiculous small ball lineup and stubbornness to stick to a lineup and gameplan that obviously doesnt work.

Yeah I said it.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2013, 03:19:02 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think what Danny Ainge chooses to do this summer and how it plays out between now and the draft next year will determine whether or not he's still the GM two years from now.

I don't think he's on the hot seat for all that's happened this season, but he needs to respond to it the right way or he's going to be looking for a new job.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2013, 03:24:50 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Next year, maybe. It's hard to judge with so many injuries to important players. (Rondo, Sully, Barbosa)

Let's see what he does this offseason, first. He's known to be okay.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2013, 03:28:16 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'm not sure that any GM has 100% job security.  However, Danny has earned a lot of good will for the last five seasons.  I don't think ownership is going to want Danny's head for a season in which arguably our best player went down with a major injury.

Danny should get a little heat for his abject failure in finding a competent big man, though.

Danny's failure to secure a legitimate point guard even after Rondo went down should earn him some significant scrutiny, too. 

I'm not sure why he thought the team would be okay without any true ball-handlers heading into the playoffs.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2013, 03:28:36 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Yes, he should be! If you really sit down and think about it, Danny Ainge hasn't done anything productive since trading for KG. AND, you could make the argument that was attributed more to Kevin McHale being a former Celtic than Danny Ainge doing anything.

Think about it, since 2008 he's made the following blunders
-Patrick O'Bryant
-Trading Perkins for a player we didn't need
-Shaq in the twilight of his career
-Jermaine O'Neal
-Jason Terry
-Courtney Lee
-Not dealing Ray Allen for OJ Mayo when he had the chance. Then Ray bolts to Miami.
-Not acquiring a big last summer or at this year's trade deadline, when we BADLY needed it.

AND for all the talk of injuries, it's the GM's job to foresee injuries and provide the team with proper depth. Just pinning misfortunes on injuries doesn't fly. Look at the Knicks. Throughout the year the likes of Carmelo, Felton, Amar'e and Chandler have all had injuries. They seem to be doing pretty well.