Author Topic: Did you like the movie "Armageddon"?  (Read 13952 times)

Re: Did you like the movie "Armageddon"?
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2013, 09:27:14 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
When that guy described haggus to the NASA guys....now that's entertainment

« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2014, 05:42:34 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
I was always a Deep Impact fan which came out around the same time.  A much better movie on the whole, so I never really liked Armageddon.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2014, 01:23:33 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
I was always a Deep Impact fan which came out around the same time.  A much better movie on the whole, so I never really liked Armageddon.

TP Moranis.  Deep Impact was superior movie, but unfortunately people want a plate of slop when it comes to their astroid movies lol

Armageddon is pretty awful, but no better or worse than the other dreck that Bay throws out their on a regular basis.  I don't really remember much about it (besides some horrible dialogue and some actors phoning it in), so it certainly could've been worse.  It could've been Batman and Robin.  That movie will burned into my brain forever.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 01:31:24 AM by freshinthehouse »

« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2014, 01:29:53 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
Ben Affleck (as a lead)=FAIL!

That's crazy talk.  He is on a role these last few years.  Argo, Gone Baby Gone (directed), The Town, Hollywoodland (very underrated), To the Wonder . . even Extract and The Company Men are decent.  Seems like he got a lot of those big budget movies out of system (gotta make that money when you're young).  Now for the most part he seems to be doing stuff that he can be proud of.

« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2014, 01:54:53 AM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
But... it's part of the Criterion Collection! It must be good!

What I heard was that Bay and Disney (or whoever owned the rights to Armageddon at the time) negotiated the rights to other films in their catalog in exchange for including some of Bay's pics like Armageddon and The Rock in the collection. For example, Disney/Buena Vista owned Miramax at the time. So they could have said "Hey, if you want Chasing Amy or The English Patient or the Three Colors Trilogy you need to do us a favor for Michael..."

A pure prestige move on Bay's part in a bid for respectability.

« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2014, 05:59:26 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney

What I heard was that Bay and Disney (or whoever owned the rights to Armageddon at the time) negotiated the rights to other films in their catalog in exchange for including some of Bay's pics like Armageddon and The Rock in the collection. For example, Disney/Buena Vista owned Miramax at the time. So they could have said "Hey, if you want Chasing Amy or The English Patient or the Three Colors Trilogy you need to do us a favor for Michael..."

Haha I've never heard that before.  Stay classy, Michael.

« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2014, 06:18:15 PM »

Offline celtic -_- pride

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 60
  • Stuff & Things
That's it. I'm going to bat for this movie. I'd say it's on my top 100 list

A far more funny movie than it's given credit for

You realize we're sitting on 300 tons of rocket fuel and a nuclear weapon all built by the lowest bidder?

Even the less funny stuff was pretty good. Like when the guy says "Wait. Rockets? Like you just strap us and off we go like the coyote? No this is important because it never really worked for the coyote!"   "Actually. We have way bigger rockets"

I mean..popcorn movie is one thing, but top 100? yikes.

What'd you push out, Ernest Goes To Jail?
woah easy man. this comment made me stop reading and forced me to jump into the conversation. say what you want about Armageddon which i thought was good but leave ernest out of this. that man was killin it, any occasion there is ernest has not only done it but he has saved it. so ya, you take it easy ? had a good xmas? halloween? ernest saved it, for you. regarding Armageddon i saw it at a drive in movie theater and i really enjoyed it. i felt it was a well balanced movie that was straight forward and fun to watch. obviously not meant to rock your world  ;) but the cast was so strong with great chemistry it worked.
[img width= height=]http://s7.postimg.org/jsyw5qrez/banner.jpg[/img]

« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2014, 06:39:36 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
That's it. I'm going to bat for this movie. I'd say it's on my top 100 list

A far more funny movie than it's given credit for

You realize we're sitting on 300 tons of rocket fuel and a nuclear weapon all built by the lowest bidder?

Even the less funny stuff was pretty good. Like when the guy says "Wait. Rockets? Like you just strap us and off we go like the coyote? No this is important because it never really worked for the coyote!"   "Actually. We have way bigger rockets"

I mean..popcorn movie is one thing, but top 100? yikes.

What'd you push out, Ernest Goes To Jail?
woah easy man. this comment made me stop reading and forced me to jump into the conversation. say what you want about Armageddon which i thought was good but leave ernest out of this. that man was killin it, any occasion there is ernest has not only done it but he has saved it. so ya, you take it easy ? had a good xmas? halloween? ernest saved it, for you. regarding Armageddon i saw it at a drive in movie theater and i really enjoyed it. i felt it was a well balanced movie that was straight forward and fun to watch. obviously not meant to rock your world  ;) but the cast was so strong with great chemistry it worked.

Yeah, let's not be dissing Ernest. Great character, and Jim Varney had one of the greatest "plastic faces" in Hollywood history.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2014, 06:49:51 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

As much fun as this theory is, it doesn't hold much weight. Bay's an auteur, and the Criterion Collection is infatuated with auteurs, so he fits right in. Note: that's not the same thing as saying he's a filmmaker who's work I enjoy.

If he has to apologize for any movie, it's Pearl Harbor.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2014, 07:48:58 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
I like it a lot and I cry every time I see it lol! I don't think it's in my top 100 but I don't even know my top 100! My fav movie of all time is The Color Purple, after that it's up for grabs!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2014, 08:18:02 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
That Aerosmith song got on my last nerve

im still missing you baby...blah blah a thang

saw once liked watch again no

« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2014, 09:03:15 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney

I found a blog from some guy that is reviewing every movie in criterion collection.  Besides the review (which is somewhat favorable!), he also lists some of the info that comes in the special features on each movie.  If this doesn't pretty much sum up movies like Armageddon, I don't know what does.

"The Armadillo, the drill car they drive around on the asteroid, has a chin mounted chain gun. You might wonder when NASA started putting weapons on their vehicles, or what they were expecting to shoot at on an asteroid, or even how they expected bullets to fire in a vacuum. But in fact, this wasn't NASA's decision so much as Mattel's; there was a toy version of this car, and toys with guns sell better. I'm not kidding; plot points were decided on by the toy company."

« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2014, 09:13:27 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
I loved it