Author Topic: Did you like the movie "Armageddon"?  (Read 13966 times)

Did you like the movie "Armageddon"?
« on: April 23, 2013, 02:48:47 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
He's responsible for movies including Bad Boys II and Transformers: Dark of the Moon, yet director Michael Bay thinks Armageddon is his worst film.

"I will apologize for Armageddon, because we had to do the whole movie in 16 weeks," the Pain & Gain director tells The Miami Herald. "It was a massive undertaking. That was not fair to the movie. I would redo the entire third act if I could." ...

"It was terrible," Bay adds. "My visual effects supervisor had a nervous breakdown, so I had to be in charge of that. I called James Cameron and asked 'What do you do when you’re doing all the effects yourself?' But the movie did fine."

I've heard people bash Armageddon for years.  It's got a 39% "fresh" rating on Rotten Tomatoes, which means that in general, critics hated it.  Usually, when critics hate a movie so badly, I tend to agree. 

That said, I love Armageddon.  I think it's just about the perfect popcorn movie.  Sure, it's not realistic, but most movies aren't.  So, what am I missing?  Because, from where I'm standing, Bruce Willis + Michael Clark Duncan + Steve Buscemi is a winning combination

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Did you like the movie "Armageddon"?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 02:52:50 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Its like the Dirty Dozen in space, but at the same time, its no Dirty Dozen, if that makes sense.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 02:55:27 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I haven't seen Armageddon in years. I remember it getting a lot of crap but I also remember enjoying it myself. Kind of like a titanic for me.

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 02:56:17 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Eh, I thought it was okay. Not my popcorn movie of choice, though clearly that's what it was aiming for.

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 02:59:56 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
When my wife and I are doing something particularly stupid, asinine, or just overall senseless, my go-to move is to say in a falsetto, "Baby, do you think its possible that anyone else in the world is doing this very same thing at this very same moment?"

Then, when she doesn't laugh, I say in a gruff voice, "I sure hope so baby, or else what are we tryin to save?"

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 03:03:35 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I totally liked it. I found the speech the president gave chilling. Loved the characters and the interplay between them and the NASA guys.  Loved the concept.  Loved a lot of the special effects.  Loved the Russian dude. Loved the strippers. The only thing I didn't really like was the part where they fly in space like a plane, because that's impossible, but generally loved the whole thing. I didn't see what there was to dislike. And they nailed the love story with Bruce Willis as dad and Arwen as the girl....I just don't get why people didn't like it.

Instant impact was maybe more of a thinking scenario, but I thought they were both decent.

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 03:10:27 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Its some good escapism story telling and really bad sci-fi but overall, I enjoy it every time I see it.

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 03:10:27 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Ben Affleck (as a lead)=FAIL!

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 03:20:38 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I'm aware Ebert just hated this movie but I'd have to say Michael Clark Duncan dancing on that table was worth it alone. I mean that just had to happen.  Also him on the motorcycle with the whole line of cop cars and helicopters.....how did people not like this movie?    Steven Buschemi asking how much they'd be paid and trying to bring back 8 track tapes?  I mean come ooonnnnn

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2013, 03:37:00 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
"Yeah one more thing, um... none of them wanna pay taxes again........Ever."

How can you not love that?

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2013, 04:03:11 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
i thought it was alright.  nothing great, not bad, and had some good moments

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2013, 04:05:04 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Yeah, I've always liked it as one of thoise flicks when I just want to be entertained and not have to think too much or analyze or end up drained emotionally ... It's actually in the same section I have for movies like Independence Day, Die Hard, and Mission Impossible, etc. ... I enjoy them as pure entertainment, and cerebral movies I watch far less often, for the sheer fact that at the end of the day I've usually had enough analysis and existentiaslism.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2013, 04:08:45 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
That's it. I'm going to bat for this movie. I'd say it's on my top 100 list

A far more funny movie than it's given credit for

You realize we're sitting on 300 tons of rocket fuel and a nuclear weapon all built by the lowest bidder?

Even the less funny stuff was pretty good. Like when the guy says "Wait. Rockets? Like you just strap us and off we go like the coyote? No this is important because it never really worked for the coyote!"   "Actually. We have way bigger rockets"

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2013, 04:12:59 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

You realize we're sitting on 300 tons of rocket fuel and a nuclear weapon all built by the lowest bidder?

Even the less funny stuff was pretty good. Like when the guy says "Wait. Rockets? Like you just strap us and off we go like the coyote? No this is important because it never really worked for the coyote!"   "Actually. We have way bigger rockets"

I mean..popcorn movie is one thing, but top 100? yikes.

What'd you push out, Ernest Goes To Jail?

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2013, 04:24:28 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

I mean..popcorn movie is one thing, but top 100? yikes.

What'd you push out, Ernest Goes To Jail?
Casablanca. That movie is so dated expired milk smells good sitting next to it.  One good line the whole film.

Also I'm pretty sure I started watching Gone with the Wind as a freshman in college and when I got to junior year and still hadn't reached the half way point I decided it would never make it to the list.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 04:37:57 PM by eja117 »