Author Topic: Celtics (0-0) at Knicks (0-0) Game 1 4/20  (Read 98573 times)

Celtics (0-0) at Knicks (0-0) Game 1 4/20
« on: April 19, 2013, 10:12:30 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11832
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 

Boston Celtics (0-0)  at New York Knicks (0-0)
Saturday, April 20, 2013
3:00 PM ET
Playoff Game #1 – Road Game #1
TV:   ABC, CHCH-TV
Radio: WEEI, ESPN NY
Madison Square Garden

Probable Starters

PG: #0 Avery Bradley .................................................... SG: #34  Paul Pierce

C: #5 Kevin Garnett

SF: #8 Jeff Green .............................................. PF #30 Brandon Bass 
Celtics Reserves
Shavlik Randolph
Courtney Lee
Terrence Williams
Jason Terry
DJ White
Jordan Crawford
Chris Wilcox 
Fab Melo

Injuries
Rajon Rondo (knee) out
Jared Sullinger (back) out

Probable Starters

PG:  Raymond Felton  ............................................  SG: Iman Shumpert

C: Tyson Chandler

SF: Carmelo Anthony ............................................. PF:  Chris Copeland

Knicks Reserves
James White
JR Smith
Quinton Richardson
Steve Novak
Jason Kidd
Kenyon Martin

Injuries
Marcus Camby (foot)  questionable
Pablo Prigioni (ankle)  questionable
Amar'e Stoudemire (knee) out

Game Notes
For the second time in three years, the Celtics and Knicks will meet in the first round of the playoffs.  The only players who remain from their last meeting in the playoffs are Carmelo Anthony, Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett and Jeff Green. 

Both teams struggled with injuries toward the end of the season.   Each team has an injured All-Star  player Rajon Rondo and Amar’e Stoudemire) but both are mostly healthy now according to their coaches.  Of most concern will be Tyson Chandler's bulging disc and KG's foot.  Neither played down the stretch but both are saying that they are healthy and ready to go. 

I've seen several different starting lineups given for the Knicks as with the injuries, they haven't had one set lineup recently.  Their game notes list Felton, Prigioni, Melo, Shumpert, and Chandler but with Prigioni listed as questionable for the first game, I'm thinking they go with Shumpert at the 2 and Copeland at the 4 but that's just a guess on my part.  If Prigioni can play I expect the lineup above to start. 

There's no love lost between these two division rivals and this should be a physical series with more than a little confrontation between them. 

Key Matchups
  vs 
Avery Bradley vs Raymond Felton
With Prigioni questionable with an ankle injury, I expect Felton to move to point guard.  Bradley’s defensive contributions don’t show up in the box score, but his ball pressure is critical.  It will be important for Bradley to keep Felton from getting into the offense quickly.   Felton has been playing very well and appears rejuvenated this season.  He is averaging 13.9 points per game and gives the Knicks another solid scoring option in the starting lineup. 

vs 
Jeff Green vs Carmelo Anthony
Paul Pierce has said that the toughest matchup for him in the league is Carmelo Anthony.   With Paul Pierce moving to the shooting guard in this big lineup, guarding Melo will mostly fall to Jeff Green.  Slowing Melo down is key.  Paul Pierce and Brandon Bass may also get their turn at guarding him.    If the Celtics can disrupt Melo and make things hard for him, it makes the Celtics chances of winning much better.   

Honorable Mention
Kevin Garnett vs Tyson Chandler
This will be a defensive battle between two very good defensive centers.   The key to this matchup may be who is healthier.   Chandler missed the last part of the season with a bulging disc in his neck and KG is returning from a foot/ankle injury.  The Celtics need a healthy KG in order to get a win.

Keys to the Game
Guard the 3 Point Line -  The Knicks made more 3 point shots than any team in history this season.   The 3 point shot has become a very effective weapon for them and guarding the perimeter will be crucial to getting a win.   

Defense
- The Knicks have been a good defensive team under Mike Woodson and the Celtics continue to hang their hat on their defense as well.   The Celtics have to make defense their priority in this series as the Knicks can be a very dangerous offensive team.   As stated in the first key, the Celtics must especially guard the perimeter.   But they also have to guard the paint because the Knicks have several players who can take it strong to the hoop like Melo, KMart, Smith and Copeland.   

Rebound
- The Celtics were 29th in the league in rebounding this season,   but he Knicks aren't all that much better, coming in at 24th.  Chandler is always a threat for double digit rebounds and it will be important for the Celtics' bigs to box out and keep the Knicks off the boards.    The Celtics have got to crash the boards as a team and win the battle on the glass because the Knicks will make them pay with tip ins and second chance points if they don't. 

Be Aggressive - Doc has said that aggressiveness is going to determine the winner of this series.  He pointed out that in the game the Celtics won, they were the aggressors and in the other 3 games they played passively.  The Celtics must be the more aggressive team.  They have to be aggressive in going to the hoop and not settle for jumpers, especially if the jumpers aren't falling.  They must be aggressive on the boards and in going after loose balls and winning the 50/50 plays.  The more aggressive team gets the calls from the officials and that will be important in this game.   We know that the Knicks will be aggressive and so the Celtics have to match that intensity. 

Play 48 Minutes - The Celtics must get off to a good start and play hard for 48 minutes in this game.  The Celtics have gotten off to strong starts only to collapse and give up big leads.  They have also gotten off to slow starts and sometimes have come back and other times have not been able to catch up.   They may get away with slow starts or with letting up in the game with some teams, but they can't count on the Knicks to let them back in if they get themselves down in this game.   

X-Factors
Focus On the Road
The Celtics have been terrible on the road this season and that's putting it mildly.  They have won just 13 games away from home this season.  It will be crucial for the Celtics to find a way to focus on the road since they don't have home court advantage.    Getting a win in the first game would be huge and to get it they must focus on doing all the little things they didn't do during the season. 

Re: Celtics (0-0) at Knicks (0-0) Game 1 4/20
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 10:28:18 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
If they can steal Game 1 OR 2, we may have a chance.

If they can steal Game 1 AND 2, we got it.

I hope this can be like the Orlando series in 2010, even though that was a shaky one.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 11:44:11 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Won't be able to watch or follow, but please defend the three. If we can do that, we can win.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 11:59:16 PM »

Offline The Rondo Show

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 364
  • Hook 'Em
Lets Go Celtics!!!!!
DKC Suns

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 12:07:24 AM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
So ready for these playoffs! Come on boys! Play gritty D, and get after it!

CELTICS HOORAH!
CELTICS HOORAH!
CELTICS HOORAH!

1,2,3 UNBUTU!

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 12:55:11 AM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
Flipping on the 33 lucky charms switch beginning

[size=33]NOW[/size]
The beatings will continue until morale improves

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2013, 01:05:07 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Skip Bayless says we will win the series.

For once I agreed with him.

Lets GO!
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2013, 01:28:16 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Who's whipping out their superstitious 08' gear to sport? :P

Go C's let's go baby!!!
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2013, 03:26:45 AM »

Offline YallahCeltics34

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 6
Who's whipping out their superstitious 08' gear to sport? :P

Go C's let's go baby!!!

Ripped pair of Celtics socks. Check
Celtics shirt 2 sizes too small. Check
Worn out Celtics shorts. Check.

Yup all ready for the playoffs!  ;D

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2013, 03:27:06 AM »

Offline Sievers81

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 29
Can't wait, Go C's!! Have my beer in the fridge ready to go and my alarm set for 5am, these afternoon games kill me being in Australia...

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2013, 03:45:05 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
get the knicks!!!!
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2013, 04:05:01 AM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
ready. lets do this.

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2013, 04:11:34 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
This is what we play for:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ce7cp_UvjC4

I don't think I have anything too add. Oh, yeah, maybe just that I've been missing a lot here recently but that ends *now*. I am so ready for these playoffs!

TP once again, FL.

GO CELTICS!

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2013, 04:14:25 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
Also, I'll be thinking of my man Adam Yauch tonight. Very sad that he isn't around to watch this series.

Namaste, my brother and sincere apologies in advance for beating your Knicks.

"Shine like the sun."

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2013, 04:39:04 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
Pretty hyped up for this one. It's the playoffs, against the Knicks and after this horrible week for the city of Boston... I just feel like the team, as shorthanded as it is, will have a big game.

Let's go Celtics!