Author Topic: ESPN "experts" underestimating the C's...again!  (Read 12095 times)

ESPN "experts" underestimating the C's...again!
« on: April 18, 2013, 10:46:25 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
All 10 predict NY over Boston:

Arnovitz
In 7

Barry
In 6

Elhassan
In 6

Haberstroh
In 7

Legler
In 7

Pelton
In 5

Stein
In 6

Thorpe
In 5

Wallace
In 6

Windhorst
In 6

Re: ESPN "experts" underestimating the C's...again!
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 10:50:47 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Can't blame them, the C's haven't played well for a while and KG's hurt. I'm hopeful they're wrong, but it is a 2 v 7 matchup.

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 10:59:32 AM »

Offline Pucaccia

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 65
Really, what have the Celtics done to deserve anything better.

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 11:02:33 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Really, what have the Celtics done to deserve anything better.

This year or throughout the KG/Pierce era?
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 11:05:39 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
81 games worth of evidence is available that says the ESPN experts are probably giving the Celtics a bit too much credit.

I'd be shocked if this series went to 7 games.

Most series between two teams with very different records are decided within 5 games.  So predicting that this will go 6 or more is saying you believe that the Celtics will turn into a much better team overnight.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 11:08:51 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
81 games worth of evidence is available that says the ESPN experts are probably giving the Celtics a bit too much credit.

In the KG era name one season that the C's have NOT risen their level of play during the playoffs? During the same span, name one time that the Knicks have risen their level of play during the playoffs?

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 11:14:58 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
It seems to me that the thing about evidence is that it depends how much of it you want to consider.  Personally, I think it's reasonable to consider the evidence dating back to since Kevin Garnett joined this team back in 2007.  Maybe that's just me being a homer, but as long as we have Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce on the team being coached by Doc Rivers, I feel that we have a chance to play inspired ball come playoff time.

The Knicks have had a good season, and they've earned the two seed in the East.  We'll see what happens. 

I'm going Celtics in seven.  And, that's my completely unbiased opinion.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 11:16:13 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

In the KG era name one season that the C's have NOT risen their level of play during the playoffs? During the same span, name one time that the Knicks have risen their level of play during the playoffs?

Well, leaving aside the fact that this is kind of an irrelevant question because, again, these are very different teams this season -- 2011.  The Celtics can hardly be said to have "flipped the switch" that time around.  Yeah, I know -- Rondo injury.  But the team really wasn't playing that great even when Rondo was healthy.

Also, I think you're overlooking the fact that the Celtics were significantly worse this regular season than in those previous seasons.  Expecting a 50+ win team to step up its play in the playoffs may be reasonable.  Expecting a 41 win team to suddenly play like a contender is pretty silly.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 11:19:10 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Eh, I don't blame them for underestimating the C's this time.  The Celtics have not played like a team that anyone should be afraid of.  2008 was different, because the Celtics were tearing teams up that year, was the best defensive team in the league, and still were doubted.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 11:26:01 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Can't blame them, the C's haven't played well for a while and KG's hurt. I'm hopeful they're wrong, but it is a 2 v 7 matchup.

Kg is hurt? What happened?

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 11:28:51 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

Well, leaving aside the fact that this is kind of an irrelevant question because, again, these are very different teams this season -- 2011.  The Celtics can hardly be said to have "flipped the switch" that time around.  Yeah, I know -- Rondo injury.  But the team really wasn't playing that great even when Rondo was healthy.

Also, I think you're overlooking the fact that the Celtics were significantly worse this regular season than in those previous seasons.  Expecting a 50+ win team to step up its play in the playoffs may be reasonable.  Expecting a 41 win team to suddenly play like a contender is pretty silly.

Every game that series against Miami was close. It's revisionist history to think otherwise. But you conveniently forgot to mention that they swept the Knicks that season in the first round of the playoffs.

How come you have so much faith in this Knicks squad?

By the numbers:

Melo is 0-2 in playoff series as a Knick
Melo has won 1 career playoff win as a Knick
Melo's record during the playoffs as a Knick is 1-8
Over his last 14 games Melo's playoff record is 2-12
Melo's career playoff FG% is 41.9
In 2011 Melo shot 37.5% from the field during the playoffs (vs C's)

JR Smith's career playoff FG% is 40.7
JR Smith's career playoff 3pt% is 31.8
In 2010 Smith shot 36.8% from the field during the playoffs
In 2011 Smith shot 35.6% from the field during the playoffs (vs C's)
In 2012 Smith shot 31.6% from the field during the playoffs

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 11:35:28 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Here in NYC, everybody sees this series as a foregone conclusion. They are more interested in how well they will matchup with Miami in the ECF.

I can only hope the Celtics see the disrespect and use it for motivation.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 11:40:21 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Every game that series against Miami was close. It's revisionist history to think otherwise. But you conveniently forgot to mention that they swept the Knicks that season in the first round of the playoffs.

How come you have so much faith in this Knicks squad?

By the numbers:

Melo is 0-2 in playoff series as a Knick
Melo has won 1 career playoff win as a Knick
Melo's record during the playoffs as a Knick is 1-8
Over his last 14 games Melo's playoff record is 2-12
Melo's career playoff FG% is 41.9
In 2011 Melo shot 37.5% from the field during the playoffs (vs C's)

JR Smith's career playoff FG% is 40.7
JR Smith's career playoff 3pt% is 31.8
In 2010 Smith shot 36.8% from the field during the playoffs
In 2011 Smith shot 35.6% from the field during the playoffs (vs C's)
In 2012 Smith shot 31.6% from the field during the playoffs

The Knicks were pretty bad that year, so I don't put much stock in the Celtics sweeping them.

I also don't put really any stock in past playoff performances of Melo or J.R. Smith, though I would point out that they were both pretty darn good that year the Nuggets went to the Western Conference Finals and took the eventual champion Lakers to 6 games.

I also recall that in the Miami series, the Celtics kept the games close for stretches, but by the end of each game the Heat pulled away in the last few minutes and won by 8-10 points.  The games in Miami weren't that close.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2013, 11:41:38 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Kg is hurt? What happened?

KG's been hurt for a while now.  Ankle swelling / foot pain.  Sounds like some kind of tendon issue or perhaps a bone spur.  Either way, it's a lingering thing that won't get better until KG can rest for a while.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2013, 12:00:54 PM »

Offline badshar

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 72
I don't see why anyone is/would be surprised. Celtics have been counted out every year.

2008 - "three different players with different egos to manage. They don't have chemistry and won't be able to win."

2009 - "KG is injured, they won't win."

2010 - "they are too old and LeBron's Cavs will destroy them. No way they win."

2011 - "they are too old and LeBron's Heat will destroy them. No way they win."

2012 - "they are too old and they won't even make the playoffs and if they do, they will get swept in the first round. No way they win."

2013 - "they are too old and they won't even make the playoffs and if they do, then the Knicks will destroy them in 5 games. No way they win."

This year, the situation is very similar to that of 2010. People that year said we will lose to LeBron's Cavs in 5 games. This year, people say that we will lose to Carmelo's Knicks.

I think and if nothing else, I hope, that the same results happen again this year.

Sometimes I wonder if media and people didn't constantly count us, where would we be. It's pretty obvious that these people have helped the team more than us fans, who, sadly and unfortunately,  don't even believe in their own team anymore.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 12:08:40 PM by badshar »