Author Topic: Referring to Miami as the "cHeat" isn't cool  (Read 18666 times)

Re: Referring to Miami as the "cHeat" isn't cool
« Reply #105 on: April 15, 2013, 05:14:05 AM »

Offline LakersForDays

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 26
Why do we all have to be "cool"?  ::) I'm content with the way I am already.
TP, C2.

This is the best reply I've seen in a long time, and pretty much describes the absurdity of this discussion, IMO.

I mean, do people who object to this go around all day trying to be "cool"? If so, I think they're a bit self-induldged, and more than a bit superficial.

I've been here a long time, and there have been times when everyone I recognize by avatar or screen name has used what I might consider "juvenile" or mildly offensive epithets or phrases.

So what?!? Honestly, I'm less bothered by a juvenile nickname than I am by the word "sucks", and I've used both.

I'd also rather see an immature appellaton than I would say someone being purposely condescending, sarcastic, hateful, judgmental, or implying omniscience ... and it happens all the time.

So what?!? As long as it's within the rules of the site then it's that person's perogative, whether I like it or not, no matter what I feel about it.

Calling Miami the "cheat" is a fairly harmless, (though admittedly not the "classiest"), way for a Celtic fan to express to others that they hate the team.

Wow ... horrible, just horrible, and so immature! Come on.

Do people actually not know whether or not someone is mature or sophisticated or educated or eloquent if they use an immature nickname once-in-a-while?

So you take a person down a notch in your assessment of them if they call Miami the "Cheat"? They must be uneducated, or infantile, or crass, or immature, right?

Really, if people judge one another by the use of a careless juvenile phrase every-so-often, or an immature nickname used to describe a team they hate, or faux cursing, or whether or not they're "cool", then we're all in trouble.

Man, I hope I never get to the point where I start assessing people or the things they say as somehow beneath me, just because their little anti-opponent monikers aren't up to the sophisticated level that I would consider "cool".

Frankly, (if I chose to look at things that way all the time), it wouldn't take me long to find something I don't care for, (or find immature), in the phrasing or words of anyone, (here or elsewhere), but thankfully I do my best to not judge their character or "coolness" by their casual phrases d'animosité.

If that were the case, there wouldn't be a "cool" person on this blog ... or alive, for that matter.

Wow, this is an amazing post with great insight. Kudos Bahku.

« Reply #106 on: April 15, 2013, 07:26:47 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
People have different perceptions of cool.  Cool is like beauty in the eye of the beholder.

« Reply #107 on: April 15, 2013, 08:18:42 AM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
FL, C2 and Bakhu more than earned TPs for expressing it better than I could do, even if I tried to write a fanpost about this subject.

Fakers may not be a cool nickname, but claiming for Minny Lakers titles while not recognizing Mikan, Mikkelsen et al isn't cool either.  And when Kobe gets the Bill Russell Trophy when it really was Joey Crawford and Pau Gasol who deserved it, you can't find a better nickname for those clowns. Of course, there are great Laker fans and I'll never call them Fakers, but that organization is a joke.

cHeat is a lame nickname, so what? I'll call them cHeat not one time, not two... well you get it. I prefer the Three Stooges, Miami Hype and even cHeatles. As to individual players, I like LeTravel, Karate Hamster, D-Whistle. I don't feel good calling Ray Judas, but I don't mind if anyone does it, out of frustration.

As a Celtic fan, I'm as biased as you can find, wearing green googles and drinking green kool aid. You'll notice that when things go bad, and refs kill us  ;), but you'll never see me showboating and trolling other teams boards when we beat them. This is a Boston Celtics Blog, after all, and we can enjoy being fans. Relax.

« Reply #108 on: April 15, 2013, 08:19:28 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
this thread has 8 pages?!?!  smh

« Reply #109 on: April 15, 2013, 08:23:47 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
D-Whistle.
I haven't seen that before--absolutely incorporating it. TP.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #110 on: April 15, 2013, 08:59:10 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I'd also rather see an immature appellaton than I would say someone being purposely condescending, sarcastic, hateful, judgmental, or implying omniscience ... and it happens all the time.

So what?!? As long as it's within the rules of the site then it's that person's perogative, whether I like it or not, no matter what I feel about it.

Calling Miami the "cheat" is a fairly harmless, (though admittedly not the "classiest"), way for a Celtic fan to express to others that they hate the team.

Wow ... horrible, just horrible, and so immature! Come on. ...

Isn't this response purposefully condescending, sarcastic, and judgmental? ;)

EDIT:  And, lest that response is too flip, allow me to clarify through another question.  Doesn't most of your argument boil down to "you shouldn't say something that offends me, or judge me because I say something"?  At the same time, aren't you judging the original poster, and telling him not to be offended?

It's all silly.  As someone else said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  If somebody finds another person's comments to be not cool, offensive, immature, or juvenile, isn't that their right?  Especially when they're not telling somebody else what to do?

« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 09:09:48 AM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #111 on: April 15, 2013, 08:59:25 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
I'm 44 and I really enjoy potty humor.  Farts make me laugh.  Sue me.

Wait, this is the humor confessional thread isn't it?
Yup

« Reply #112 on: April 15, 2013, 09:16:48 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I think it is a silly nickname because the Heat quite simply didn't cheat.  In fact on some level they should be commended for getting their 3 star players to all take less money for the good of the team, something most star players just won't do during their hey day (think KG and Kobe with their cap crippling contracts).

And I find it incredibly silly to talk about dirty players on other teams when we all praise KG and he is consistently among, if not, the dirtiest player(s) in the league. Perkins and Sheed also were in that category when they were Celtics.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #113 on: April 15, 2013, 09:22:18 AM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
I'm 44 and I really enjoy potty humor.  Farts make me laugh.  Sue me.

Wait, this is the humor confessional thread isn't it?

It is now.

« Reply #114 on: April 16, 2013, 10:12:08 PM »

Offline ItStaysYang

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 25
Why do we all have to be "cool"?  ::) I'm content with the way I am already.
TP, C2.

This is the best reply I've seen in a long time, and pretty much describes the absurdity of this discussion, IMO.

I mean, do people who object to this go around all day trying to be "cool"? If so, I think they're a bit self-induldged, and more than a bit superficial.

I've been here a long time, and there have been times when everyone I recognize by avatar or screen name has used what I might consider "juvenile" or mildly offensive epithets or phrases.

So what?!? Honestly, I'm less bothered by a juvenile nickname than I am by the word "sucks", and I've used both.

Wow ... horrible, just horrible, and so immature! Come on.

Do people actually not know whether or not someone is mature or sophisticated or educated or eloquent if they use an immature nickname once-in-a-while?

So you take a person down a notch in your assessment of them if they call Miami the "Cheat"? They must be uneducated, or infantile, or crass, or immature, right?

Really, if people judge one another by the use of a careless juvenile phrase every-so-often, or an immature nickname used to describe a team they hate, or faux cursing, or whether or not they're "cool", then we're all in trouble.

Man, I hope I never get to the point where I start assessing people or the things they say as somehow beneath me, just because their little anti-opponent monikers aren't up to the sophisticated level that I would consider "cool".

Frankly, (if I chose to look at things that way all the time), it wouldn't take me long to find something I don't care for, (or find immature), in the phrasing or words of anyone, (here or elsewhere), but thankfully I do my best to not judge their character or "coolness" by their casual phrases d'animosité.

If that were the case, there wouldn't be a "cool" person on this blog ... or alive, for that matter.

My thread could have been easily avoided by those who feel otherwise. Yet we near 9 pages...

« Reply #115 on: April 16, 2013, 10:16:19 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
My thread could have been easily avoided by those who feel otherwise. Yet we near 9 pages...

You weren't obligated to make this thread, and other people aren't obligated to listen to your opinions. People can post what they want on CBF.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #116 on: April 16, 2013, 10:54:59 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

You weren't obligated to make this thread, and other people aren't obligated to listen to your opinions. People can post what they want on CBF.

That is both true, and irrelevant. Like when people play '7 degrees of Kevin Bacon'.

Edit: also, my above statement is both true and irrelevant. Someone talk about other nicknames before we get stuck in a loop!

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #117 on: April 16, 2013, 11:16:44 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green

That is both true, and irrelevant. Like when people play '7 degrees of Kevin Bacon'.

Edit: also, my above statement is both true and irrelevant. Someone talk about other nicknames before we get stuck in a loop!

IP called my ever-so-elegantly worded statement irrelevant :'(

I think I will go into the corner now and cry for this (<- also both true and irrelevant)
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #118 on: April 16, 2013, 11:21:36 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I prefer to refer to Miami and their Evil-Trinity as Delonte's step-son, D*Bag, and Rupaul.  I have given them the team nickname of Miami Cornholes.  Pat Riley is cornholio, Spoelstra is the Fonz.

« Reply #119 on: April 16, 2013, 11:36:48 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I prefer to refer to Miami and their Evil-Trinity as Delonte's step-son, D*Bag, and Rupaul.  I have given them the team nickname of Miami Cornholes.  Pat Riley is cornholio, Spoelstra is the Fonz.

Aside from 'Delonte's Step-Son', I think those are all juvenile and hilarious.

It can be both, guys!

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner