Author Topic: Accidental Racist song (new Brad Paisley/LL Cool J)  (Read 8489 times)

Re: Accidental Racist song (new Brad Paisley/LL Cool J)
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2013, 07:03:05 PM »

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Actually, I'd say the most offensive parts are the LL Cool J parts.  "if you forgive my gold chains, i'll forgive the iron chains" etc.

I didn't actually listen to this song, but are these lyrics for real?? If you forgive my style and self-expression, then [on behalf of my ancestors] I will forgive you for the many years of hate and abuse. This is pretty ridiculous.

I am so happy I listen to punkrock...

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2013, 01:36:15 PM »

Offline Mr Green

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
A few years ago I was fortunate to be able to listen to a speech by a cat named Johnny Lee Clary. He went from being the public spokesperson of the modern KKK to being a baptist minister who now advocates for civil rights. His life story is quite fascinating and if you haven't heard it I would greatly encourage you to check it out. 

One of the issues he discussed was people openly opposing the use of the stars and bars flag. He was of the opinion that it ceased being officially used in any capacity in about 1865, so theoretically all the racism and injustice that has been committed after that date has occured under the stars and stripes flag. He was also a big lynard skynard fan.

Just food for thought.

He must've forgotten how many states passed Jim Crow laws while flying a Confederate flag, or a state flag based on its design.  Curious lapse of memory for an ex-KKK guy.

Honestly whenever I hear about the Confederate flag issue coming up it just makes me think about Hindus and swastikas.  Unlike the Confederate Flag, that is a symbol that had a real, powerful, longstanding meaning before it was co-opted, and it's even more toxic to display, for obvious reasons.  That's a symbol I'd like to see "taken back" but I don't think it'll ever happen.

'Jim Crow Laws' were legislated post-1865 under the stars and stripes...

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2013, 02:27:19 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
A few years ago I was fortunate to be able to listen to a speech by a cat named Johnny Lee Clary. He went from being the public spokesperson of the modern KKK to being a baptist minister who now advocates for civil rights. His life story is quite fascinating and if you haven't heard it I would greatly encourage you to check it out. 

One of the issues he discussed was people openly opposing the use of the stars and bars flag. He was of the opinion that it ceased being officially used in any capacity in about 1865, so theoretically all the racism and injustice that has been committed after that date has occured under the stars and stripes flag. He was also a big lynard skynard fan.

Just food for thought.

He must've forgotten how many states passed Jim Crow laws while flying a Confederate flag, or a state flag based on its design.  Curious lapse of memory for an ex-KKK guy.

Honestly whenever I hear about the Confederate flag issue coming up it just makes me think about Hindus and swastikas.  Unlike the Confederate Flag, that is a symbol that had a real, powerful, longstanding meaning before it was co-opted, and it's even more toxic to display, for obvious reasons.  That's a symbol I'd like to see "taken back" but I don't think it'll ever happen.

'Jim Crow Laws' were legislated post-1865 under the stars and stripes...

The point is that the 'Jim Crow Laws' were passed largely during turn of the century not by the Federal gov't, but by the individual states. FWF's point is that a lot of those states either use outright or allude to the confederate flag.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2013, 02:27:33 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2013, 02:45:30 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
The impending return of Arrested Development reminds me of the greatest accidental racist song ever:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xinzdo_it-ain-t-easy-being-white-it-ain-t-easy-bein-brown_shortfilms#.UWWzLDc5qJU

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2013, 04:14:43 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYSERmlOxGA

Here's a classic on the subject. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2013, 04:26:55 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson