Author Topic: Trade Idea - Involves Eric Gordon  (Read 10405 times)

Re: Trade Idea - Involves Eric Gordon
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2013, 08:09:26 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
what has Eric Gordon done in this league other then put up ok numbers on trash teams and miss seasons?

Lol

This is pretty spot on.

« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2013, 08:39:13 AM »

Offline connor

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
I don't really like Gordon for the Celtics because of his injury problems and salary that could really eat into our cap room post KG and PP if he doesn't work out, but I have to say that his situation seems like one of those very rare opportunities where a team can get a true talent at a real discount.

If he works out he has the potential to turn a team into a championship contender. At the same time because of his salary and length of contract he could hamstring them for the next several years and only be on the court for a fraction of the time.

Some team is going to take a chance on him (Golden State maybe? for Thompson/Barnes plus Biedrins/Jefferson?), I just hope its not the Celtics.

Eric Gordon is turning no one into a contender...that is actually comical. It's a rare opportunity for new Orleans to get our young star for nothing. thanks but no thanks.
Gordon at full strength and if healthy can be a guy who averages 20ppg. If you add that kind of scoring ability to a team that already has some really good pieces he could easily turn them into a contender. Teams like Memphis, Golden State, Utah, Indiana or Minnesota could really do some damage with that kind of production (if he can stay on the court).

Especially if they get him at a discount because they are taking a risk on his health and because of his price tag.

The talent is there, he has just struggled with injuries. If you can get a guy like that without giving back equal return it could be a game changer (or screw your team for the rest of his contract).

« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2013, 09:31:29 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
More and more reports out there have New Orleans looking to move Eric Gordon this coming offseason. Here's a thought to improve the team overall and put ourselves in a better position for the future. I think it even gives us another run next year if they don't want to move PP and/or KG.

Boston gets :

Eric Gordon
Grievis Vasquez

NO gets :

Rajon Rondo
Courtney Lee

Why for Boston - Boston has shown the last half of this season that they really don't play much different with or without Rondo. He isn't the difference in a championship. The play at the 2 spot has been very sporadic and Eric Gordon will solidify that and at 24 yrs old his best years should be coming. Vasquez isn't a well known name, but is a very good PG (14.1 ppg, 9.2 assists, and 4.4 rebounds)  At 26 he is also a young guy and should get even better. 

Why for NO - New Orleans is able to get rid of Gordon who clearly isn't very happy there. They get a big name in return to run the point and a very solid player in Lee.

Money works in the trade machine. I think this is a solid move and allows Avery to slide back to the defensive 2 guard that he is better suited to play, with backup time at 1. Love this lineup:

Vasquez/Bradley
Gordon/Bradley/Crawford/Terry
PP/Williams
Green/Sullinger/Bass/Randolph
KG/Wilcox/Melo/White

I think it also allows us to package Bass and Terry for depth. Thoughts?!

I don't like it.  We're essentially swapping stars, only we're trading our currently-injured-but-usually-healthy star for their currently-healthy(ish)-but-usually-injured star.

Doesn't seem like an equal deal to me.  I love EGor's game when he's healthy, but that's rare enough that I'm not willing to give up a very valuable asset like Rondo to get him.
Rondo is progressively getting less healthy as he ages (missing 1 game four years ago, to 14, to 13, to 44 this year).

And whatever Boston loses from Rondo to Gordon it probably makes up from Vasquez to Lee

You cant make that argument because of an acl injury. Its not wear and tear that wore his body down to the point that he couldnt play. It was a freak accident. One that for some reason has occured a ridiculous high number this year for some odd reason.

an argument projected on injury to worth. Irving has missed quite a few games in his first 2 years, doubt that is going to matter when cleveland offer him a max contract.
what argument did I make?  I merely pointed out the facts that Rajon Rondo is missing more and more games as a result of injury.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2013, 09:40:16 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
More and more reports out there have New Orleans looking to move Eric Gordon this coming offseason. Here's a thought to improve the team overall and put ourselves in a better position for the future. I think it even gives us another run next year if they don't want to move PP and/or KG.

Boston gets :

Eric Gordon
Grievis Vasquez

NO gets :

Rajon Rondo
Courtney Lee

Why for Boston - Boston has shown the last half of this season that they really don't play much different with or without Rondo. He isn't the difference in a championship. The play at the 2 spot has been very sporadic and Eric Gordon will solidify that and at 24 yrs old his best years should be coming. Vasquez isn't a well known name, but is a very good PG (14.1 ppg, 9.2 assists, and 4.4 rebounds)  At 26 he is also a young guy and should get even better. 

Why for NO - New Orleans is able to get rid of Gordon who clearly isn't very happy there. They get a big name in return to run the point and a very solid player in Lee.

Money works in the trade machine. I think this is a solid move and allows Avery to slide back to the defensive 2 guard that he is better suited to play, with backup time at 1. Love this lineup:

Vasquez/Bradley
Gordon/Bradley/Crawford/Terry
PP/Williams
Green/Sullinger/Bass/Randolph
KG/Wilcox/Melo/White

I think it also allows us to package Bass and Terry for depth. Thoughts?!

I don't like it.  We're essentially swapping stars, only we're trading our currently-injured-but-usually-healthy star for their currently-healthy(ish)-but-usually-injured star.

Doesn't seem like an equal deal to me.  I love EGor's game when he's healthy, but that's rare enough that I'm not willing to give up a very valuable asset like Rondo to get him.
Rondo is progressively getting less healthy as he ages (missing 1 game four years ago, to 14, to 13, to 44 this year).

And whatever Boston loses from Rondo to Gordon it probably makes up from Vasquez to Lee

You cant make that argument because of an acl injury. Its not wear and tear that wore his body down to the point that he couldnt play. It was a freak accident. One that for some reason has occured a ridiculous high number this year for some odd reason.

an argument projected on injury to worth. Irving has missed quite a few games in his first 2 years, doubt that is going to matter when cleveland offer him a max contract.
what argument did I make?  I merely pointed out the facts that Rajon Rondo is missing more and more games as a result of injury.

From http://www.hornets247.com/2013/02/18/an-outline-of-eric-gordons-injury-history/, a list of Gordon's injuries:
2008-09 Season (78 out of 82 games)
February 2009 (4 games) – Bruised left shoulder
2009-10 Season (62 out of 82 games)
November 2009 (8 games) – Strained groin
December 2009 (1 game) – Precautionary (hamstring tightness)
January 2010 (3 games) – Sprained left big toe
March 2010 (5 games) – Groin injury
April 2010 (3 games) – Viral infection (final 3 games of the season; Clippers tanking?)
2010-11 Season (56 out of 82 games)
November 2010 (2 games) – Bruised left shoulder
January 2011 (18 games) – Right wrist bone chip fracture (which he played through for 17 minutes after first suffering the injury)
March 2011(6 games) – Re-injury to right wrist
2011-12 Season (9 out of 66 games)
December 2011 (57 games) – Right knee injury
2012-13 Season (18 out of 53 games)
October 2012 (29 games) – Right knee injury
January 2013 (5 games) – Rest (back-to-back games)
February 2013 (1 game) – Sprained right hand (precautionary due to prior wrist injury)

They have a pretty nice write up on Gordon's trade value and his durability

Rondo's had a foot injury and an ankle injury in 2010 and 2011? Those are wear and tear from learning to take on an increased role, maybe?

His elbow and ACL aren't exactly results of his apparent lack of durability.

That's what I know anyway. I'm probably wrong.

« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2013, 09:40:51 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
I don't really like Gordon for the Celtics because of his injury problems and salary that could really eat into our cap room post KG and PP if he doesn't work out, but I have to say that his situation seems like one of those very rare opportunities where a team can get a true talent at a real discount.

If he works out he has the potential to turn a team into a championship contender. At the same time because of his salary and length of contract he could hamstring them for the next several years and only be on the court for a fraction of the time.

Some team is going to take a chance on him (Golden State maybe? for Thompson/Barnes plus Biedrins/Jefferson?), I just hope its not the Celtics.

Eric Gordon is turning no one into a contender...that is actually comical. It's a rare opportunity for new Orleans to get our young star for nothing. thanks but no thanks.
Gordon at full strength and if healthy can be a guy who averages 20ppg. If you add that kind of scoring ability to a team that already has some really good pieces he could easily turn them into a contender. Teams like Memphis, Golden State, Utah, Indiana or Minnesota could really do some damage with that kind of production (if he can stay on the court).

Especially if they get him at a discount because they are taking a risk on his health and because of his price tag.

The talent is there, he has just struggled with injuries. If you can get a guy like that without giving back equal return it could be a game changer (or screw your team for the rest of his contract).
exactly. I think of a lot this depends on where Boston thinks it is going.  I could easily see a Gordon & Vasquez trade for Rondo & Lee being made if KG and PP return, because I think that trade in the short term makes Boston a more likely contender.  Vasquez is a very good PG and Gordon is the scorer that Boston lacks and the guy that could really take pressure off of Pierce (coupled with Green getting more minutes so Pierce is fresh for the playoffs).  Also, Rondo has an ACL injury.  No one knows when he will playing and even if he does how the injury will affect him.  I wouldn't be surprised if Rondo is just not right at all next year and needs the extra year to fully recover (then again he could be an adrian peterson type, you just don't know).  So, if I'm Boston and KG and PP come back, I think I make the trade, if KG and/or PP retire, I think I stick it out with Rondo and either build around him going forward or trade him when his value is at its highest (which is not this summer).

So say the trade is made

PG - Vasquez, Bradley, Terry
SG - Gordon, Bradley, Crawford
SF - Pierce, Green
PF - Green, Sullinger, Bass
C - Garnett, Melo

Team clearly needs a back-up center from free agency and/or the draft (Kelly Olynyck might fill part of that role).  I just think that team next year with health has a higher upside then that team with Rondo and Lee.

« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2013, 09:53:11 AM »

Offline connor

• Jaylen Brown

exactly. I think of a lot this depends on where Boston thinks it is going.  I could easily see a Gordon & Vasquez trade for Rondo & Lee being made if KG and PP return, because I think that trade in the short term makes Boston a more likely contender.  Vasquez is a very good PG and Gordon is the scorer that Boston lacks and the guy that could really take pressure off of Pierce (coupled with Green getting more minutes so Pierce is fresh for the playoffs).  Also, Rondo has an ACL injury.  No one knows when he will playing and even if he does how the injury will affect him.  I wouldn't be surprised if Rondo is just not right at all next year and needs the extra year to fully recover (then again he could be an adrian peterson type, you just don't know).  So, if I'm Boston and KG and PP come back, I think I make the trade, if KG and/or PP retire, I think I stick it out with Rondo and either build around him going forward or trade him when his value is at its highest (which is not this summer).

So say the trade is made

SF - Pierce, Green
C - Garnett, Melo

Team clearly needs a back-up center from free agency and/or the draft (Kelly Olynyck might fill part of that role).  I just think that team next year with health has a higher upside then that team with Rondo and Lee.
That lineup is without question very strong. But I can't get behind Eric Gordon just because of the injuries (and if I'm trading Rondo I've said all along I want a big in return because they're so hard to find/develop).

It comes down to whether you are risk averse or not. If Gordon plays the (almost) the whole season and performs like he is capable they are really dangerous. But if for the rest of that max contract you only see him on the court for half a season there and a quarter of a season here and so on and so on, it kills your chances of rebuilding post KG and PP and he will have basically no trade value. If his contract was signed before the new CBA and he could be amnestied I'd be more willing.

Its personal preference. The talent is there, but I can't get myself to take that risk when we could use cap room to build around Rondo or assets we get back in exchange for Rondo.

« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2013, 10:08:20 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

So say the trade is made

SF - Pierce, Green
C - Garnett, Melo

That lineup is without question very strong. But I can't get behind Eric Gordon just because of the injuries (and if I'm trading Rondo I've said all along I want a big in return because they're so hard to find/develop).

It comes down to whether you are risk averse or not. If Gordon plays the (almost) the whole season and performs like he is capable they are really dangerous. But if for the rest of that max contract you only see him on the court for half a season there and a quarter of a season here and so on and so on, it kills your chances of rebuilding post KG and PP and he will have basically no trade value. If his contract was signed before the new CBA and he could be amnestied I'd be more willing.

Its personal preference. The talent is there, but I can't get myself to take that risk when we could use cap room to build around Rondo or assets we get back in exchange for Rondo.
I actually disagree with part of your statement.  If Gordon is hurt all the time it will probably help Boston rebuild because it will get the team a higher draft pick, which is really the way to build assets.  The key is whether or not Gordon is hurt next year and frankly he seems pretty healthy right now.  If he makes it the rest of the year, I would actually feel better about Gordon than Rondo, at least next year. 

I don't think there are big men anywhere near Rondo's talent/skill level that Boston could trade for Rondo (maybe some very young raw talent that needs awhile to develop, but nothing out there right now unless they are old like Pau Gasol).  It would be a clear step back, which I'm not necessarily opposed to if KG and PP retire, but wouldn't be my first choice.

Maybe Boston could alter the NO trade and also get back Robin Lopez.  Maybe Melo and a future 1st is enough for him to be included though it probably would take Sullinger and I may be ok with that as Robin Lopez is a very strong back-up center who could also play with KG at times. 

So Rondo, Lee, Sullinger, Protected 1st for Vasquez, Gordon, Lopez.

« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2013, 11:49:21 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
We are over flowing with guards now, WHY would we want another suspect player that will cost big money and produce less than what we have now?  Got to be kidding.... :D

I'll keep Rondo , AB and Crawford

Have a nice day.

« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2013, 12:04:53 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I don't think there are big men anywhere near Rondo's talent/skill level that Boston could trade for Rondo (maybe some very young raw talent that needs awhile to develop, but nothing out there right now unless they are old like Pau Gasol).

I suppose someone could come up with a convoluted multi-team trade, a specialty of internet forums suggesting trades, and come up with a scenario for dealing Rondo in a sign-and-trade acquisition of Andrew Bynum.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2013, 12:39:27 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
I don't think there are big men anywhere near Rondo's talent/skill level that Boston could trade for Rondo (maybe some very young raw talent that needs awhile to develop, but nothing out there right now unless they are old like Pau Gasol).

I suppose someone could come up with a convoluted multi-team trade, a specialty of internet forums suggesting trades, and come up with a scenario for dealing Rondo in a sign-and-trade acquisition of Andrew Bynum.
possibly, but Bynum makes Gordon look like a picture of health.

« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2013, 01:14:27 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

If Gordon's health doesn't bother you, why should Bynum's?  And some people here say they would rather trade for a big than a guard.  So, why not suggest trading Rondo for a big whose health is at least as questionable as Gordon's?  I'm not in favor of trading for either, but perhaps it might be more interesting to talk about.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2013, 01:24:59 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

If Gordon's health doesn't bother you, why should Bynum's?  And some people here say they would rather trade for a big than a guard.  So, why not suggest trading Rondo for a big whose health is at least as questionable as Gordon's?  I'm not in favor of trading for either, but perhaps it might be more interesting to talk about.
because I'm not sure Bynum will ever play again.  Gordon is healthy and playing right now.

« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2013, 02:13:40 PM »

Offline connor

• Jaylen Brown

Bynum is another guy, like Gordon, that is going to be the center of a lot of trade talks because his injury woes drop his value low enough that teams think they have a chance at picking him up without sending out equal value for the talent.

I think the difference with Gordon and Bynum is that Gordon has had a few different injuries (wrist, hamstring, knee). he is more injury prone than permanently injured. On the other hand Bynum just has knee problems straight up, which is scary for a young big man that is going to demand a big contract. Knees are a career killer.

As for there not being any bigs out there with Rondo's talent that could be traded for I think there are a few. Demarcus Cousins (the Kings have shopped him for WAY less), Al Horford (if the Hawks want to retain Smith and pair him with Rondo), Greg Munroe (maybe if Calderon walks and they think Drummond can be the future). Those guys would net a big and ancillary pieces too probably.

Then there are other package deals or complicated multi-team deals with quality but not star bigs and other assets like McGee from the Nuggets with others (think Lawson).

Theres definitely options out there to score a big though.

« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2013, 04:24:42 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
From your numbers he's missed twice as many games as he played, and I think he missed quite a few games with LA as well. That's a big reason to want move that contract.

BballTim, I wouldn't do that trade, but let's not think that a Gordon for Rondo deal, if both were 100% healthy, is utterly ridiculous.

A few things...

Coach K actually chose Gordon over Rondo on Team USA in 2010.

The Hornets could've had a Rondo based package for CP3, but instead chose a package centered around Gordon.

You constantly bring up that Rondo led us to a title, but there were plenty of players that could've replaced Rondo and we very likely still win the title. I think we still win that year with a Cassell/House 1-2 punch. Rondo was blessed with playing for Doc and alongside the Big 3.

You also like to say that the reason we were struggling as a team was because we had players that were struggling individually. Isn't Rondo, as a pass-first superstar pg, supposed to make their job easier? Isn't the very definition of a superstar to make those players around him better?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 04:30:17 PM by Eddie20 »

« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2013, 04:46:18 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
From your numbers he's missed twice as many games as he played, and I think he missed quite a few games with LA as well. That's a big reason to want move that contract.

BballTim, I wouldn't do that trade, but let's not think that a Gordon for Rondo deal, if both were 100% healthy, is utterly ridiculous.

A few things...

Coach K actually chose Gordon over Rondo on Team USA in 2010.

The Hornets could've had a Rondo based package for CP3, but instead chose a package centered around Gordon.

You constantly bring up that Rondo led us to a title, but there were plenty of players that could've replaced Rondo and we very likely still win the title. I think we still win that year with a Cassell/House 1-2 punch. Rondo was blessed with playing for Doc and alongside the Big 3.

You also like to say that the reason we were struggling as a team was because we had players that were struggling individually. Isn't Rondo, as a pass-first superstar pg, supposed to make their job easier? Isn't the very definition of a superstar to make those players around him better?

I think 2010 Eric Gordon was close in value to 2010 Rondo - the CP trade is evidence of that, as is the contract he received.

But since then Rondo had two years (2011 and 2012) in which was an All-Star, was named to the All-Defense or All-NBA teams, and even received MVP votes. He also put together three consecutive impressive postseasons.

In that same time Gordon has played only a little more than a half season of basketball in which he was at an All-Star level. And, he hasn't shown that he has recovered fully from the ACL tear. (Neither has Rondo of course).

I'm not totally against the Celts moving Rondo, but I'd want it to happen as part of a total rebuild more than a lateral move for the present. And as I've said above, I think Gordon carries too much downside risk with that contract.