Author Topic: Trade Idea - Involves Eric Gordon  (Read 10488 times)

Re: Trade Idea - Involves Eric Gordon
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2013, 05:18:20 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
More and more reports out there have New Orleans looking to move Eric Gordon this coming offseason. Here's a thought to improve the team overall and put ourselves in a better position for the future. I think it even gives us another run next year if they don't want to move PP and/or KG.

Boston gets :

Eric Gordon
Grievis Vasquez

NO gets :

Rajon Rondo
Courtney Lee

Why for Boston - Boston has shown the last half of this season that they really don't play much different with or without Rondo. He isn't the difference in a championship.

One would assume you've seen very few playoff games over the last few years, or do you just find them to be much less important than a stretch of poor play during a regular season?
I think we both know better than that BBALL TIM. You know I have seen all the playoff games. Just another of your attacks versus arguing a point.  Remind me what championship we have won with Rondo being the "Star" of the team? In 2008 he was a bit player and not the focus. Since he has been the focus we have gotten progressively worse and our offense has regressed. Rondo has talent, but he isn't your franchise player unless you want to barely make the playoffs and see an early exit. As was mentioned in this thread he also has gotten progressively unhealthy and his slender body matched with his aggressive style is starting to catch up to him.

Go ahead and put all your chips on Rondo and his "playoff" performances. I'd much rather improve the team by adding a great scorer at the two and a PG who can shoot the ball and has about the same stat line as he does. We'd be a better team.

I'll pass. I am not terribly enamored with Gordon's game - although I'm clearly open to moving Rondo. In fact, I think it's a prerequisite to rebuilding the franchise for the post-Big 3 transition.

From this exchange, I guess I haven't been around here enough or read enough threads to catch the removal of the "no poster attacks" rule.

Gonna have to read some more threads to look for free-for-alls then.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2013, 05:22:06 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I do not understand why New Orleans wants to move Eric Gordon in the first place.

Unless they know something about his health and are convinced he isn't to be relied upon long term ... because they are a much better team with Eric Gordon in the lineup.

With Eric Gordon = 22 wins and 24 losses = .478 winning percentage
Without Eric Gordon = 26 wins and 71 losses = .268 winning percentage

His contract is fair value for a player of his ability if he could stay healthy.

From your numbers he's missed twice as many games as he played, and I think he missed quite a few games with LA as well. That's a big reason to want move that contract.

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2013, 05:23:22 PM »

Offline connor

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
I actually think Vasquez is the real prize in that deal. Gordon's value is at an all time low right now given his health concerns, max contract and attitude. I think a deal surrounding Bradley, Melo, Lee and a heavily protected first could be enough to pique the Hornets interest:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=d32752n

The Hornets seem really eager to move Gordon before he becomes a problem on their young team. They get out from under his contract, have a ridiculously young and talented back court with Vasquez, Rivers, Bradley and Lee, almost 6m in cap savings and eventually a first (not to mention Melo to develop).

Boston takes on all the risk by picking up Gordon so they can get him at a discount. Even though its risky, I think Gordon (if healthy) would be the perfect scoring 2 guard to pair with Rondo. One has the potential to be a 20+ a game scorer and the other is double double machine.

If we are trading Rondo, our one true blue chip trading asset, I want to get a young talented big with lots of upside. They are a lot harder to come by than scoring SGs or all around PGs.

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2013, 05:46:04 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think we both know better than that BBALL TIM. You know I have seen all the playoff games. Just another of your attacks versus arguing a point.  Remind me what championship we have won with Rondo being the "Star" of the team? In 2008 he was a bit player and not the focus. Since he has been the focus we have gotten progressively worse and our offense has regressed. Rondo has talent, but he isn't your franchise player unless you want to barely make the playoffs and see an early exit. As was mentioned in this thread he also has gotten progressively unhealthy and his slender body matched with his aggressive style is starting to catch up to him.

Rondo has flat out won some games and thereby series in the playoffs.   Gordon has not won crap.  The problem isn't RR this year, other guys were not playing as well.   I think we were a pretty bad team w/o KG.   That bit player put it to CLE in 08 and did a lot in 09.

If your mark of value is how many series a player has won?   Why trade Rondo for Gordon who is not exactly Mr. Playoffs?

I'd much rather improve the team by adding a great scorer at the two and a PG who can shoot the ball and has about the same stat line as he does. We'd be a better team.

Great Scorer?   He is a good scorer at best and a mediocre defender no?   I would not call him great at anything.   He is a good scorer.  But you do realize he only shot .40% from the FG%?  You do realize he scored only 16.5 PPG?   You and I have vastly different ideas of great, my friend.

Vasquez is a better player presently.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/eric_gordon/career_stats.html

One may note that Eric Gordon has never been on a team that made the playoffs.  That ought to speak volumes of his greatness or lack thereof or what a bad trade this is made not out of value of the team but rather hatred of Rondo.

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2013, 05:48:45 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I do not understand why New Orleans wants to move Eric Gordon in the first place.

He's an injury-prone player who doesn't want to be in New Orleans.  The Hornets may have matched his offer sheet with the intention of trading him later because they didn't want to let him walk with nothing in return.  So, trading him may have always been the plan.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2013, 05:49:39 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Gordon just had another scuffle with coach Monty... I think he got benched for what, the last 21 minutes?

Eric Gordon didn't even want to be resigned but Hornets matched the Suns' offer sheet, I believe.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2013, 06:22:26 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Gordon just had another scuffle with coach Monty... I think he got benched for what, the last 21 minutes?

Eric Gordon didn't even want to be resigned but Hornets matched the Suns' offer sheet, I believe.

The sad part: if he stopped pouting for a minute, he'd actually see that New Orleans has a lot of talened young pieces and he can be the centerpiece of what they're doing. Anthony Davis can be a superstar, Vazquez is a pretty good pg, Aminu still has untapped potential and continues to show flashes. Monty Williams is a solid coach. There are far worse rebuilding situations to be in for a young player.

Gordon can prove me wrong in a few years but as of right now, he's not a guy would want as key cog of a rebuild. Too injured and not sure the commitment is there.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2013, 07:07:47 PM »

Offline connor

• Jaylen Brown

The sad part: if he stopped pouting for a minute, he'd actually see that New Orleans has a lot of talened young pieces and he can be the centerpiece of what they're doing. Anthony Davis can be a superstar, Vazquez is a pretty good pg, Aminu still has untapped potential and continues to show flashes. Monty Williams is a solid coach. There are far worse rebuilding situations to be in for a young player.

Gordon can prove me wrong in a few years but as of right now, he's not a guy would want as key cog of a rebuild. Too injured and not sure the commitment is there.
I couldn't agree more. New Orleans is slowly amassing the pieces to potentially be very competitive in the near future and Gordon is so young and talented that he could have been the leader of that team. At this point I don't see a way they can keep him around with his attitude on such a young team unless he starts changing his tune and fast.

I think its a situation where he already made the decision that he wanted out before the season when he signed with the Suns and was upset that the Hornets matched the offer. At that time New Orleans didn't have the best outlook.

Its only been in the last year (after Gordon had already made his mind up that he wanted out) that they've shown a lot of promise with Davis looking like a great pick, Vasquez breaking out and solid play from Lopez, Aminu and Anderson.

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2013, 09:08:44 PM »

Offline Smutzy#9

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
More and more reports out there have New Orleans looking to move Eric Gordon this coming offseason. Here's a thought to improve the team overall and put ourselves in a better position for the future. I think it even gives us another run next year if they don't want to move PP and/or KG.

Boston gets :

Eric Gordon
Grievis Vasquez

NO gets :

Rajon Rondo
Courtney Lee

Why for Boston - Boston has shown the last half of this season that they really don't play much different with or without Rondo. He isn't the difference in a championship. The play at the 2 spot has been very sporadic and Eric Gordon will solidify that and at 24 yrs old his best years should be coming. Vasquez isn't a well known name, but is a very good PG (14.1 ppg, 9.2 assists, and 4.4 rebounds)  At 26 he is also a young guy and should get even better. 

Why for NO - New Orleans is able to get rid of Gordon who clearly isn't very happy there. They get a big name in return to run the point and a very solid player in Lee.

Money works in the trade machine. I think this is a solid move and allows Avery to slide back to the defensive 2 guard that he is better suited to play, with backup time at 1. Love this lineup:

Vasquez/Bradley
Gordon/Bradley/Crawford/Terry
PP/Williams
Green/Sullinger/Bass/Randolph
KG/Wilcox/Melo/White

I think it also allows us to package Bass and Terry for depth. Thoughts?!

I don't like it.  We're essentially swapping stars, only we're trading our currently-injured-but-usually-healthy star for their currently-healthy(ish)-but-usually-injured star.

Doesn't seem like an equal deal to me.  I love EGor's game when he's healthy, but that's rare enough that I'm not willing to give up a very valuable asset like Rondo to get him.
Rondo is progressively getting less healthy as he ages (missing 1 game four years ago, to 14, to 13, to 44 this year).

And whatever Boston loses from Rondo to Gordon it probably makes up from Vasquez to Lee

You cant make that argument because of an acl injury. Its not wear and tear that wore his body down to the point that he couldnt play. It was a freak accident. One that for some reason has occured a ridiculous high number this year for some odd reason.

an argument projected on injury to worth. Irving has missed quite a few games in his first 2 years, doubt that is going to matter when cleveland offer him a max contract.

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2013, 09:15:23 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Vasquez might've been good for my Pick Two team, but not for the Celtics.

EGor has potential, but I'd stick with what we know: Rondo.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2013, 09:24:15 PM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221

Boston gets :

Eric Gordon
Grievis Vasquez

NO gets :

Rajon Rondo
Courtney Lee

Why for Boston - Boston has shown the last half of this season that they really don't play much different with or without Rondo. He isn't the difference in a championship. The play at the 2 spot has been very sporadic and Eric Gordon will solidify that and at 24 yrs old his best years should be coming. Vasquez isn't a well known name, but is a very good PG (14.1 ppg, 9.2 assists, and 4.4 rebounds)  At 26 he is also a young guy and should get even better. 

Why for NO - New Orleans is able to get rid of Gordon who clearly isn't very happy there. They get a big name in return to run the point and a very solid player in Lee.

Money works in the trade machine. I think this is a solid move and allows Avery to slide back to the defensive 2 guard that he is better suited to play, with backup time at 1. Love this lineup:

Vasquez/Bradley
Gordon/Bradley/Crawford/Terry
PP/Williams
Green/Sullinger/Bass/Randolph
KG/Wilcox/Melo/White

I think it also allows us to package Bass and Terry for depth. Thoughts?!

I don't like it.  We're essentially swapping stars, only we're trading our currently-injured-but-usually-healthy star for their currently-healthy(ish)-but-usually-injured star.

Doesn't seem like an equal deal to me.  I love EGor's game when he's healthy, but that's rare enough that I'm not willing to give up a very valuable asset like Rondo to get him.
Rondo is progressively getting less healthy as he ages (missing 1 game four years ago, to 14, to 13, to 44 this year).

And whatever Boston loses from Rondo to Gordon it probably makes up from Vasquez to Lee

You cant make that argument because of an acl injury. Its not wear and tear that wore his body down to the point that he couldnt play. It was a freak accident. One that for some reason has occured a ridiculous high number this year for some odd reason.

an argument projected on injury to worth. Irving has missed quite a few games in his first 2 years, doubt that is going to matter when cleveland offer him a max contract.

-Completely agree, an ACL tear is not a nagging, re-occurring injury, so you can't blame Rondo for that.It's alarming how many ACL tears there was this season...my gosh.

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2013, 10:58:36 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
yucky

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2013, 04:31:53 AM »

Offline connor

• Jaylen Brown
I don't really like Gordon for the Celtics because of his injury problems and salary that could really eat into our cap room post KG and PP if he doesn't work out, but I have to say that his situation seems like one of those very rare opportunities where a team can get a true talent at a real discount.

If he works out he has the potential to turn a team into a championship contender. At the same time because of his salary and length of contract he could hamstring them for the next several years and only be on the court for a fraction of the time.

Some team is going to take a chance on him (Golden State maybe? for Thompson/Barnes plus Biedrins/Jefferson?), I just hope its not the Celtics.

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2013, 07:34:46 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176
what has Eric Gordon done in this league other then put up ok numbers on trash teams and miss seasons?

Lol

« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2013, 07:56:32 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176
I don't really like Gordon for the Celtics because of his injury problems and salary that could really eat into our cap room post KG and PP if he doesn't work out, but I have to say that his situation seems like one of those very rare opportunities where a team can get a true talent at a real discount.

If he works out he has the potential to turn a team into a championship contender. At the same time because of his salary and length of contract he could hamstring them for the next several years and only be on the court for a fraction of the time.

Some team is going to take a chance on him (Golden State maybe? for Thompson/Barnes plus Biedrins/Jefferson?), I just hope its not the Celtics.

Eric Gordon is turning no one into a contender...that is actually comical. It's a rare opportunity for new Orleans to get our young star for nothing. thanks but no thanks.