Author Topic: Trade Idea - Involves Eric Gordon  (Read 10507 times)

Trade Idea - Involves Eric Gordon
« on: April 08, 2013, 03:26:48 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
More and more reports out there have New Orleans looking to move Eric Gordon this coming offseason. Here's a thought to improve the team overall and put ourselves in a better position for the future. I think it even gives us another run next year if they don't want to move PP and/or KG.

Boston gets :

Eric Gordon
Grievis Vasquez

NO gets :

Rajon Rondo
Courtney Lee

Why for Boston - Boston has shown the last half of this season that they really don't play much different with or without Rondo. He isn't the difference in a championship. The play at the 2 spot has been very sporadic and Eric Gordon will solidify that and at 24 yrs old his best years should be coming. Vasquez isn't a well known name, but is a very good PG (14.1 ppg, 9.2 assists, and 4.4 rebounds)  At 26 he is also a young guy and should get even better. 

Why for NO - New Orleans is able to get rid of Gordon who clearly isn't very happy there. They get a big name in return to run the point and a very solid player in Lee.

Money works in the trade machine. I think this is a solid move and allows Avery to slide back to the defensive 2 guard that he is better suited to play, with backup time at 1. Love this lineup:

Vasquez/Bradley
Gordon/Bradley/Crawford/Terry
PP/Williams
Green/Sullinger/Bass/Randolph
KG/Wilcox/Melo/White

I think it also allows us to package Bass and Terry for depth. Thoughts?!

Re: Trade Idea - Involves Eric Gordon
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 03:35:02 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
More and more reports out there have New Orleans looking to move Eric Gordon this coming offseason. Here's a thought to improve the team overall and put ourselves in a better position for the future. I think it even gives us another run next year if they don't want to move PP and/or KG.

Boston gets :

Eric Gordon
Grievis Vasquez

NO gets :

Rajon Rondo
Courtney Lee

Why for Boston - Boston has shown the last half of this season that they really don't play much different with or without Rondo. He isn't the difference in a championship.

One would assume you've seen very few playoff games over the last few years, or do you just find them to be much less important than a stretch of poor play during a regular season?

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 03:43:20 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Would need to see Gordon healthier and wouldn't move Rondo for him. A package of Bradley, Sully, a contract, and maybe this year's pick for a healthy Gordon is something I would look at.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 03:44:22 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Gordon seems like a big downside risk. What are the odds that he ever plays up to the value of his contract? Or, that he even makes us better next year than would Rondo?

And if he doesn't pan out, we have squandered tons of the possible cap room available after KG and PP retire.

If the general rule is "take on no max contract unless you are getting a franchise player," this is a definite no.

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 03:52:57 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1674

Boston gets :

Eric Gordon
Grievis Vasquez

NO gets :

Rajon Rondo
Courtney Lee

Why for Boston - Boston has shown the last half of this season that they really don't play much different with or without Rondo. He isn't the difference in a championship. The play at the 2 spot has been very sporadic and Eric Gordon will solidify that and at 24 yrs old his best years should be coming. Vasquez isn't a well known name, but is a very good PG (14.1 ppg, 9.2 assists, and 4.4 rebounds)  At 26 he is also a young guy and should get even better. 

Why for NO - New Orleans is able to get rid of Gordon who clearly isn't very happy there. They get a big name in return to run the point and a very solid player in Lee.

Money works in the trade machine. I think this is a solid move and allows Avery to slide back to the defensive 2 guard that he is better suited to play, with backup time at 1. Love this lineup:

Vasquez/Bradley
PP/Williams
KG/Wilcox/Melo/White

I don't like it.  We're essentially swapping stars, only we're trading our currently-injured-but-usually-healthy star for their currently-healthy(ish)-but-usually-injured star.

Doesn't seem like an equal deal to me.  I love EGor's game when he's healthy, but that's rare enough that I'm not willing to give up a very valuable asset like Rondo to get him. 

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 04:15:29 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

Boston gets :

Eric Gordon
Grievis Vasquez

NO gets :

Rajon Rondo
Courtney Lee

Why for Boston - Boston has shown the last half of this season that they really don't play much different with or without Rondo. He isn't the difference in a championship.

One would assume you've seen very few playoff games over the last few years, or do you just find them to be much less important than a stretch of poor play during a regular season?
Boston is 1-0 in the playoffs without Rondo as well.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 04:22:01 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

Boston gets :

Eric Gordon
Grievis Vasquez

NO gets :

Rajon Rondo
Courtney Lee

Vasquez/Bradley
PP/Williams
KG/Wilcox/Melo/White

I don't like it.  We're essentially swapping stars, only we're trading our currently-injured-but-usually-healthy star for their currently-healthy(ish)-but-usually-injured star.

Doesn't seem like an equal deal to me.  I love EGor's game when he's healthy, but that's rare enough that I'm not willing to give up a very valuable asset like Rondo to get him.
Rondo is progressively getting less healthy as he ages (missing 1 game four years ago, to 14, to 13, to 44 this year).

And whatever Boston loses from Rondo to Gordon it probably makes up from Vasquez to Lee
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 04:23:22 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Boston gets :

Eric Gordon
Grievis Vasquez

NO gets :

Rajon Rondo
Courtney Lee

Boston is 1-0 in the playoffs without Rondo as well.

And that's what you'd base your opinion of Rondo's value in last year's playoffs on? Too funny.

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 04:26:23 PM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
Haven't seen much of EGordon but I like Vasquez game.

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 04:34:32 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127

Boston gets :

Eric Gordon
Grievis Vasquez

NO gets :

Rajon Rondo
Courtney Lee

I think we both know better than that BBALL TIM. You know I have seen all the playoff games. Just another of your attacks versus arguing a point.  Remind me what championship we have won with Rondo being the "Star" of the team? In 2008 he was a bit player and not the focus. Since he has been the focus we have gotten progressively worse and our offense has regressed. Rondo has talent, but he isn't your franchise player unless you want to barely make the playoffs and see an early exit. As was mentioned in this thread he also has gotten progressively unhealthy and his slender body matched with his aggressive style is starting to catch up to him.

Go ahead and put all your chips on Rondo and his "playoff" performances. I'd much rather improve the team by adding a great scorer at the two and a PG who can shoot the ball and has about the same stat line as he does. We'd be a better team.

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2013, 04:38:08 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Haven't seen much of EGordon but I like Vasquez game.

Yeah, to be honest, I like what Vazquez has to offer as well. Funny how New Orleans chose Gordon over Rondo. I will gladly keep Rondo forever if his value is lower than a player like Gordon's.

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2013, 04:41:31 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I would have considered this at the trade deadline but probably not in the summer.

I think this current team with Eric Gordon added to it could've been a major threat to make it out of the Eastern Conference. I would have liked to have seen Garnett and Pierce get one last shot at winning a title. That is why I would have considered it at this past trade deadline.

I prefer Rondo over E.Gordon as a long term building block. I think Rondo is the more valuable long term piece. There was some short-term value with Rondo out injured but as a long term trade, I don't like it.

I am also not convinced Pierce and KG have another year in them which is another reason I wouldn't make this trade in the summer. I would have to see KG and Pierce play next season before looking at this again and trying to decide if Eric Gordon is the better immediate fit for the roster versus Rondo. So 2014 at the earliest is would be willing to revisit this idea.

Until then, I would rather keep Rondo.

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2013, 05:02:09 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Vasquez/Bradley
PP/Williams
KG/Wilcox/Melo/White

I am not wild about that lineup. Not quite sure what it is.

It is not strong enough defensively or on the boards. Green at PF makes it quite vulnerable on the interior and on the glass. Gordon and Vasquez are a serious downgrade on the perimeter defense from Bradley and Rondo/Lee. I also wonder if there are also too many guys who need the ball in their hands offensively. Too many hands to feed.

PG - Vasquez
OG - Gordon
SF - Pierce
PF - Sully
C  - Garnett

or

PG - Vasquez
OG - Bradley
SF - Pierce
PF - Green
C  - Garnett

I prefer the first one with Jeff Green as the sixth man. Plus, Bradley as the main backup combo guard. Two real difference makers off the bench.

I think that has the best balance. More help for Garnett down in the paint. A lot more rebounding. A low usage offensive guy (Sully) replacing a medium to plus usage guy in Green. Easier to get everybody touches and keep everyone happy. Add a backup center behind Kevin Garnett with the MLE and that would be a very strong eight man rotation. Nice and easy to fill out the rest of the lineup too with those eight pieces in place. 

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2013, 05:12:44 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Boston gets :

Eric Gordon
Grievis Vasquez

NO gets :

Rajon Rondo
Courtney Lee

I think we both know better than that BBALL TIM. You know I have seen all the playoff games. Just another of your attacks versus arguing a point.  Remind me what championship we have won with Rondo being the "Star" of the team? In 2008 he was a bit player and not the focus. Since he has been the focus we have gotten progressively worse and our offense has regressed. Rondo has talent, but he isn't your franchise player unless you want to barely make the playoffs and see an early exit.

How do I know whether you've seen all the playoff games or not? If you did I'd be curious about why you're of the opinion that we make early exits from the playoffs. I don't think that game 7 of the ECF or game 7 of the finals really qualifies, in fact I don't think losing in the 2nd round even does. The worst we've done in the playoffs since 2008 was when Rondo was injured.

Oh, and remind me of all the championships Gordon and Vasquez have led teams to, or at least tell me how likely you think it is to happen.

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2013, 05:13:35 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
I do not understand why New Orleans wants to move Eric Gordon in the first place.

Unless they know something about his health and are convinced he isn't to be relied upon long term ... because they are a much better team with Eric Gordon in the lineup.

With Eric Gordon = 22 wins and 24 losses = .478 winning percentage
Without Eric Gordon = 26 wins and 71 losses = .268 winning percentage

His contract is fair value for a player of his ability if he could stay healthy.