Author Topic: 2013 Red Sox Season Thread  (Read 50507 times)

Re: Anyone else getting excited about this Red Sox team?
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2013, 09:53:55 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
No comment. Im a Mets fan.

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2013, 09:59:15 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
The last two seasons I have attempted to get back into the Red Sox. After being a devout fan for a long time I just kind of stopped being interested.

Each of the last two years the team has started off awful, leaving me unable to truly get back into baseball. This year their positive start could be just the thing I needed.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2013, 10:11:13 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Yup, I am certainly excited. Granted, it's just 6 games but it's hard not to get excited when they beat the champions of the off-season in Toronto 13-0, after having taken two out of 3 from New York.

The other fan who mentioned he liked them being "underdogs" made a great point. All of these guys(hopefully) feel like they have something to prove and play every game like it's a must-win.

Plus so far so good for Lester, Victorino, Uehara, Pedroia, Ellsbury and even Iglesias is surprising people.

Also after today, hopefully Middlebrooks and Napoli start getting it going.

Should be a fun season but I am keeping cautious optimism

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2013, 11:41:23 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
well ,  I like Red Sox ok,    I hate the Yankees about as bad as Lakers.   

was  Cards an "A"'s. fan as a kid.  ..

but I will always be a Dolphins fan.......just like  Celtics.......no matter how bad they suck,  I'm always hopeful for another season .

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2013, 11:54:43 PM »

Offline jojowhite10

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 49
Cautious optimism from this perspective as well.

Assuming Lackey doesn't miss too much time, we have five solid starters who look like they could have good years.

The bullpen is everything we could have expected thus far, and the lineup has impressed as well. The sample size for the offense is too small to make a definite declaration. But knowing the arrival of Ortiz is coming soon, one can't help feel excited.

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2013, 08:02:01 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Little OT but there's cause for optimism throughout the entire organization, specifically regarding the minor league affiliates.

While they don't necessarily have a top of the rotation stud waiting in the wings, they have several [u]potential[/u] #2 or more realistically #3 type starters on the verge of contributing in the next few years. The law of averages almost dictates that a couple will pan out. Barnes, Ranaudo, Webster, De La Rosa, Workman and even Britton( more likely bullpen arm ) all have a legitimate shot at being quality starters.

They've also got a lot of promising position players , but I won't bore everyone with listing all of them as well. I'm sure the majority of you are well aware of Sox Prospects.com. It's been a while since the state of the farm system has been this promising, I think.

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2013, 09:26:49 PM »

Online scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176
Nope. Don't care about baseball and actually get annoyed with how the Celtics and Bruins nearing the playoffs takes a backseat to crap baseball talk

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2013, 09:52:18 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I am cautiously optimistic (and at times, even more so). 

I think the offense and the back part of the rotation are still very much question marks.  That doesn't mean they won't pan out, but this is way too small of a sample size to say that Victorino and Napoli are going to pan out and that Igelsias is a big league hitter.  Similarly, there are still question marks about Lackey and Doubrount and even Dempster to some extent. 

Still, I think there's a lot to be excited about.  Lester and Buccholz after strong springs and two outstanding starts seem to have regained their form.  The defense should be stellar.  And as others have said, the bullpen should be lights out.  The minors also offer hope, as guys like Webster and Boegarts could be ready this year (stretch on Xander, but if Lackey falters, Webster could end up being the #5 guy--he had a stellar spring). 

And as others have said, the attitude itself helps so much.  Even if they were to miss the playoffs this year, it's still a much better environment to be bringing up these prospects in from the cesspool that was the Bobby Valentin era. 

Re: 2013 Red Sox Season Thread
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2013, 01:02:51 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

Looking forward to a stirring pregame ceremony.

Big Papi back in the lineup for the first place Sox!  (he got a nice ovation when he first stepped out during warmups)
Yup

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2013, 01:31:28 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
GO PAPI!
Yup

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2013, 01:33:26 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
GO PAPI!

That was awesome.

This is awesome.

Go Boston.

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2013, 04:20:21 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP

Nava with the 3-run homer!

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2013, 09:30:12 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I've got to post now because, as a cynical, skeptical Boston sports fan, I'm sure it won't last.  But, while it does:
how bout them Sox?
Best team in the MLB right now!
Yew haaaaawww.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2013, 04:44:06 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I've got to post now because, as a cynical, skeptical Boston sports fan, I'm sure it won't last.  But, while it does:
how bout them Sox?
Best team in the MLB right now!
Yew haaaaawww.
Great pitching can last. Hopefully the Red Sox pitching does hold up and be great. So far so good.

« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2013, 08:40:16 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Lester's a UFA after 2014. I'm inclined toward offering a 6/96-ish deal right now starting after this deal ends, though not sure he'd accept. I wouldn't go a lot higher than that.