Author Topic: Cavaliers (22-52) at Celtics (39-36) 4/5  (Read 43851 times)

Cavaliers (22-52) at Celtics (39-36) 4/5
« on: April 04, 2013, 09:42:29 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11820
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 
Cleveland Cavaliers (22-52) at Boston Celtics (39-36)
Friday, April 5, 2013
Regular Season Game #76, Home Game #38
TV:  CSN-NE,  FSO,  NBA-LP 753(CLE)/754(BOS)
Radio:  WEEI,  WTAM
TD Garden 

Probable Starters

Avery Bradley.......Paul Pierce.......Jeff Green......Brandon Bass ........Chris Wilcox

Celtics Reserves

Jason Terry
Jordan Crawford
DJ White
Shavlik Randolph
Terrence Williams
Courtney Lee

Injuries

Rajon Rondo (knee) out
Jared Sullinger (back) out
Kevin Garnett (foot) out
Paul Pierce (ankle) probable
Terrence Williams (finger)  probable

D-League

Fab Melo

Probable Starters

Kyrie Irving.....Wayne Ellington....Alonzo Gee....Tristan Thompson.....Tyler Zeller

Cleveland Bench
Luke Walton
Omri Caspi
Kevin Jones
Daniel Gibson
CJ Miles
Chris Quinn
Marreese Speights

Injuries
Anderson Varejao (knee) out
Dion Waiters (knee) out

Key Matchups
  vs 
Avery Bradley vs Kyrie Irving
The last time these two met, in a loss in Cleveland, Irving scored 40 points and Avery vowed that he would never do that again.  I expect Avery to take this one personally and give a little extra on defense to try to shut Irving, who is averaging 31 points in two games against the Celtics, down. 

vs 
Chris Wilcox vs Tyler Zeller
Zeller is averaging 12.3 points, 7.3 points, and 1.3 blocks in 3 games against the Celtics this season.  Chris needs to keep Zeller off the glass and out of the paint. 

Game Notes

The Celtics continue their 4 game home stand as they try to win the season series with the Cleveland Cavaliers.   The Celtics currently leads the series 2-1, winning once in Boston, and once in Cleveland, without Kyrie Irving. 

The Celtics won the series last season 3-0. All 3 wins were close games with the Celtics winning by 3 points, 3 points and 1 point.   This is the last of 4 meetings between these two teams this season and the games in Cleveland were again close with the Cavs winning by 5 and the Celtics winning by 1.  In the only game that wasn't close, the Celtics won in Boston 103-91.

The Celtics are 3-7 in their last 10 games while the Cavs are just 0-10 in their last 10.  The Celtics are playing well at home with a 26-11  record at the Garden.  The Cavs are just 9-28 on the road.  The Celtics are looking for their second straight win while the Cavs are hoping to avoid an 11 game losing streak. 

The Celtics are still entrenched in the 7th spot in the East.  They are 2.5 games ahead of the Bucks, who are in 8th and 2 behind Chicago in 6th and 2.5 behind Atlanta in 5th.  The Cavs are playing for pingpong balls but would love nothing better than to play spoiler for the Celtics and get a win in this game. 

Keys to the Game
Rebound -  Rebounding is mostly desire and effort.   When the Celtics put out the effort to out-rebound their opponents, the effort tends to spread to every area of the game and they usually get the win.    In their last meeting, the Cavs out rebounded the Celtics 46-37, including 9-2 on the offensive end.  The Cavs are second in the league in second chance points and the Celtics must  crash the boards as a team to keep them from racking up second chance points in this game.

Defense -  Defense is the key to every game.  The Celtics won banner 17 with defense and if they want to win banner 18 they must once again do it with defense. They have struggled with defense without KG, but every player must put out maximum effort on the defensive end with the playoffs coming up, as defense becomes even more important in the playoffs.    They must find their defensive identity and make it a priority in every game. 

Stay Focused and Take Care of the Ball -  How many times have we seen the Celtics get a lead and then lose their focus and start to turn the ball over and miss jumpers.  The Celtics must stay focused.  They have to hit their free throws,  take care of the basketball and limit turnovers, and focus on playing team basketball. 

Be Aggressive - The team that is more aggressive and plays like they want it more will get more calls and will usually get the win. 
The Celtics must be more aggressive in going to the basket,  in grabbing rebounds,  in playing defense, and in going after loose balls.  They can't play tentatively.  They have to be the more aggressive team.

X-Factors
Home Court and Injuries
The Celtics are playing at home and hopefully that will give them a boost in this game.  They are still missing KG, but hopefully Pierce's ankle will be better and he will be able to play.  Also, hopefully TWill's finger won't hold him back as he is just finding his role on the team. 

Re: Cavaliers (22-52) at Celtics (39-36) 4/5
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 10:00:16 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Thanks FL! TP!

I'm seeing another win, in another strange way. Last game it was 25 offensive rebounds, I don't know what it will be this game. But it's going to be another win, somehow. We're too good at home to lose to a team like CLE.

Expect some more Green/Bass/Bradley.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 10:03:55 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
Anyone around the Boston area selling tickets for this game a little bit under face value? My lil bro and his friend wants to go but are trying to avoid the hefty service fee charge on sites like ticketsnow and stubhub.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 10:15:14 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11820
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
Thanks FL! TP!

I'm seeing another win, in another strange way. Last game it was 25 offensive rebounds, I don't know what it will be this game. But it's going to be another win, somehow. We're too good at home to lose to a team like CLE.

TP back at your for being the first in the GT.  I'm hoping for a win in this one too.  They have to stay focused though.  Can't play down to them because they will definitely play up to us. 

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 10:20:14 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5349
  • Thumper of the BASS!
why did lebron pop up in my head?
*sippin*

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 10:21:34 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Thumper of the BASS!
Thanks FL! TP!

TP back at your for being the first in the GT.  I'm hoping for a win in this one too.  They have to stay focused though.  Can't play down to them because they will definitely play up to us.

" Can't play down to them because they will definitely play up to us."

i will carry that thru my Journey...

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 10:33:59 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
need big game from Shav and Crawford.

lets get #40

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 10:36:04 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Thumper of the BASS!
need big game from Shav and Crawford.

lets get #40

get me one too

*sippin*

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 10:51:51 PM »

Offline dinome18

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 7
Pierce isn't playing

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 10:56:41 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green
Thanks FL! TP!

Chances are we let them get a big lead, make a comeback that gives us a large lead, only to let up again, making the final score seem much closer than it could've been. (It's a scheme to make us feel stressed-out every night, you know what I mean?)
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 06:39:54 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
Paul Pierce (ankle) and Kevin Garnett (ankle) are both inactive for Friday's game against the Cavs.
Pierce originally hurt his ankle on Sunday and then aggravated in on Wednesday. As the playoffs loom in just two weeks, add him to the laundry list of veterans pursuing health and rest over game action. The Celtics will start Avery Bradley, Courtney Lee, Jeff Green, Brandon Bass and Chris Wilcox on Friday.

Sean Grande

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2013, 06:43:37 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green
Paul Pierce (ankle) and Kevin Garnett (ankle) are both inactive for Friday's game against the Cavs.
Pierce originally hurt his ankle on Sunday and then aggravated in on Wednesday. As the playoffs loom in just two weeks, add him to the laundry list of veterans pursuing health and rest over game action. The Celtics will start Avery Bradley, Courtney Lee, Jeff Green, Brandon Bass and Chris Wilcox on Friday.

Sean Grande

I'm very interested. Expect another 30+ outing from Jeff. Anything less is bad ;) Great expectations for a great player.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2013, 06:50:39 PM »

Offline dinome18

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 7
Got a bad Uncle Drew feeling tonight ::)

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2013, 06:55:51 PM »

Offline The Rondo Show

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 364
  • Hook 'Em
Terrence and SHav combine for 50 book it
DKC Suns

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2013, 07:17:42 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green
Terrence and SHav combine for 50 book it

50 blocks
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]