Author Topic: Home vs Away  (Read 1697 times)

Home vs Away
« on: March 31, 2013, 10:52:21 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
It's staggering how well we play at home, where we're one of the best teams in the league. When we're at TD, I can expect the Celtics to win every game, or at least put up a very strong effort.

Once we head on to the road though, everything changes. We can never seem to get into a rhythm, and that usually culminates in a loss or an ugly win. We shoot worse (especially Terry's 3s on the road) and don't play inspired ball.

This is gonna be a pretty big problem once we get to the postseason, since we don't have home-court-advantage this time around. I can expect three wins at home, but we're gonna need to steal at least one on the road.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

Re: Home vs Away
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 12:22:01 AM »

Offline zimbo

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 34
Yeah, that's a major problem. The team is atrocious on the road. That's why I can't see them winning a playoff series. Hopefully I'm wrong.

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 03:34:56 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green
This is why I think we'll sweep this next home stand. Even our benchwarmers play way better at home than on the road.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 09:45:02 AM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
i made a fan post about this. in short, i blame the defense. admittedly, i have no idea why the defense is so dramatically poor on the road.

http://www.celticsblog.com/2013/4/2/4173696/why-do-the-celtics-have-a-difficult-time-playing-on-the-road

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 10:08:27 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
All bets are off come playoff time. Records are thrown out and nobody cares about the past.DDoesn't matter if you swept your opponent in the regular season, got swept, had an amazing home record or terrible road record.

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 11:00:22 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Protect the Garden.  Steal a couple on the road.  Advance.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 11:09:13 AM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton

much easier said than done.

not only are the celtics by far the worst road team in the eastern conference playoffs, but the only 3 possible teams they can face in the first round (heat, pacers, knicks), all have better home records than the celtics. taking even 1 road game against any 3 of those teams is a high mountain to climb. 

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 11:12:46 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

not only are the celtics by far the worst road team in the eastern conference playoffs, but the only 3 possible teams they can face in the first round (heat, pacers, knicks), all have better home records than the celtics. taking even 1 road game against any 3 of those teams is a high mountain to climb. 

Oh, I agree, it's definitely easier said than done.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 11:37:03 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

true enough. but i take hope in the belief that this team is capable of winning one road game against anyone.

to win a championship the celtics must win 16 games in the playoffs. given that there are 4 rounds of best of seven, the celtics could, conceivably, go 16-12 and win a championship.

of those 16 wins, it is possible (unlikely) that they would need to win only TWO road games.  :) one in the first round, another in the second round. after that they MAY face teams with worse records than themselves.

but more probable is the need to win 4 road games, one in each round.

therefore, if the celtics go 12-0 at home and 4-12 on the road, they win a championship.  ;D

4-12 is a .200 winning percentage.
13-25 is their current road record, which is a .341 winning percentage.

so, yes it is not a ridiculous thought that the celtics could win enough on the road to bring home another championship.

now please pass me that glass of green kool-aid.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 11:58:06 AM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton

true enough. but i take hope in the belief that this team is capable of winning one road game against anyone.

to win a championship the celtics must win 16 games in the playoffs. given that there are 4 rounds of best of seven, the celtics could, conceivably, go 16-12 and win a championship.

of those 16 wins, it is possible (unlikely) that they would need to win only TWO road games.  :) one in the first round, another in the second round. after that they MAY face teams with worse records than themselves.

therefore, if the celtics go 12-0 at home and 4-12 on the road, they win a championship.  ;D

so, yes it is not a ridiculous thought that the celtics could win enough on the road to bring home another championship.

lol ya i suppose. but then flip the script.

12-0 is a 100% win percentage.
25-11 is their current home record, which is a .694 winning percentage.

ur gonna need a gallon of that green kool-aid. but hey imma drink it wit u. anything can happen.

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 12:54:25 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

lol ya i suppose. but then flip the script.

12-0 is a 100% win percentage.
25-11 is their current home record, which is a .694 winning percentage.

ur gonna need a gallon of that green kool-aid. but hey imma drink it wit u. anything can happen.

ha, ha...i dont disagree with you at all. i was trying to be upbeat and optimistic about the playoffs.

but even with your thoughts added in, i still think the celtics could win it all...and yes the kool-aid tastes great, thank you very much.  :)
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2013, 03:28:05 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green
Anything is possible... I like our chances at MSG, where it's half-home for the Celtics!
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2013, 04:34:04 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Anything is possible... I like our chances at MSG, where it's half-home for the Celtics!

Sadly we got routed out of our "half-home" building on Sunday night.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2013, 04:52:25 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green

Sadly we got routed out of our "half-home" building on Sunday night.

True, but before that we were something like 9-4 at MSG since the KG trade and something like 4-2 since the Melo trade.

I like our chances, and if we lose it's usually not a blowout (especially not in the Playoffs)
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2013, 11:24:20 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green
I'm bringing this back up. Did we forget that 11-game home winning streak? We were nothing short of dominant at home, and I would be horrified and shocked if we lose any games at home this series,

Just isnt happening.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]