Author Topic: Aren't you just loving Jeff and Paul?  (Read 9906 times)

Re: Aren't you just loving Jeff and Paul?
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2013, 11:08:57 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Jeff and Paul have been playing great lately, especially the last three weeks.

Except, in that time the team has gone 4-8. A scintillating .333 winning percentage over three weeks time. That's a seventh of the season.

This team needs a healthy KG. This team needs a healthy Rondo. This team needs a healthy Lee. This team needs a healthy Sullinger. And this team needs Terry and Bass and Bradley to step up their overall games and be more consistent as a whole.

Jeff and Paul are doing great, however, it is probably all for naught as the two of them probably aren't enough to win a playoff game, never mind a playoff series. We need the whole team and this year, sadly, that isn't going to happen.

« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2013, 11:10:28 PM »

Offline tonyto3690

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 39
edit
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 09:15:28 AM by wdleehi »

« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2013, 11:14:00 PM »

Offline zimbo

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 34
Jeff...yes. Paul...no.

i'm no Paul Piece fangirl and at the beginning of the season I may have agreed with you.
but as of late, Paulie has me eating tons of crow (and I love it).

he's being a captain. I think sometimes, he plays a little too much hero ball...but I mean..tonight he had 15 rebounds out of what? 40 or something. he's just contributing everywhere. i really can't hate on that.

unless we're down 5 and he takes an illadvised 3 with 20 seconds left on the clock. lol

Yeah, I used to be a big Pierce fan too, but I realize his time is over. He is still talented and can do a lot of things still, but I just feel that they are empty stats. I'm ready to see Jeff start w/o Pierce. Hopefully he can come off the bench next year, if he is still here.

Can you explain the empty stats comment?

Like for example...against the hawks...he had 20/10/10...but I also realized everyone was almost hitting everything...you mean his assists then would be considered an empty stat?

I'm just trying to understand what you're saying.

Do you think Jeff would be as effective without a guy like PP? I think Jeff needs a playmaker and rebounder around him at all times.

I guess I shouldn't use the term "empty stats". But for example, today he had an good stat line, but the team lost by double digits. He is kinda becoming like Kobe lately (good stats in losses). I think it is an age thing.

I agree Jeff needs a playmaker and rebounder, but Paul is not the only person who can fill that role.  But, my whole point is I am more impressed by Jeff and not really Pierce and I think Jeff will work quite fine without him.

« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2013, 11:16:24 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
Jeff...yes. Paul...no.

i'm no Paul Piece fangirl and at the beginning of the season I may have agreed with you.

he's being a captain. I think sometimes, he plays a little too much hero ball...but I mean..tonight he had 15 rebounds out of what? 40 or something. he's just contributing everywhere. i really can't hate on that.

unless we're down 5 and he takes an illadvised 3 with 20 seconds left on the clock. lol

Yeah, I used to be a big Pierce fan too, but I realize his time is over. He is still talented and can do a lot of things still, but I just feel that they are empty stats. I'm ready to see Jeff start w/o Pierce. Hopefully he can come off the bench next year, if he is still here.

Like for example...against the hawks...he had 20/10/10...but I also realized everyone was almost hitting everything...you mean his assists then would be considered an empty stat?

Do you think Jeff would be as effective without a guy like PP? I think Jeff needs a playmaker and rebounder around him at all times.

I guess I shouldn't use the term "empty stats". But for example, today he had an good stat line, but the team lost by double digits. He is kinda becoming like Kobe lately (good stats in losses). I think it is an age thing.

I agree Jeff needs a playmaker and rebounder, but Paul is not the only person who can fill that role.  But, my whole point is I am more impressed by Jeff and not really Pierce and I think Jeff will work quite fine without him.

oh ok. i getcha. but I think everyone kind of has those days. IE, JG going for 43pts and losing.

so if Paul doesn't play next game, how do you gauge that? individual stats or team win, then?

« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2013, 11:16:49 PM »

Offline zimbo

• Derrick White

goodness gracious
he's entitled to his opinion
smh

edit

Where did I say he was overratted? I just think his career is at an end point and I look forward to Jeff Green without him.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 09:16:51 AM by wdleehi »

« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2013, 11:19:11 PM »

Offline zimbo

• Derrick White
Jeff...yes. Paul...no.

oh ok. i getcha. but I think everyone kind of has those days. IE, JG going for 43pts and losing.

so if Paul doesn't play next game, how do you gauge that? individual stats or team win, then?

I am looking forward to seeing what Jeff can do on his own. So I guess Green's individual stats. The team will be undermanned, so I am not expecting a win.

« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2013, 11:59:20 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
You know, Oklahoma City and Seattle fans don't openly gush about the good ole days when Jeff Green was a number one option and they were winning 25 games a year. I don't understand how some people here can openly gush and hope for the day when Jeff Green will be a number one option for this team and it will be winning 25 games a year.

Me, I would rather have Pierce, Rondo, KG, Sully, Bradley, Lee, Green, and everyone else in their roles, playing great and this being an overall great team with Jeff Green as the number 2-3 option that he probably fills a whole lot better than being a number one option and not being around Paul Pierce or KG or Rondo.

« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2013, 12:02:19 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Jeff...yes. Paul...no.

In the eighteen wins since Rondo went down, Paul Pierce is averaging 18.5 ppg, 8.5 rpg, and 6.7 apg.  Some pretty good stats in wins as well.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2013, 12:02:58 AM »

Offline zimbo

• Derrick White
You know, Oklahoma City and Seattle fans don't openly gush about the good ole days when Jeff Green was a number one option and they were winning 25 games a year. I don't understand how some people here can openly gush and hope for the day when Jeff Green will be a number one option for this team and it will be winning 25 games a year.

Me, I would rather have Pierce, Rondo, KG, Sully, Bradley, Lee, Green, and everyone else in their roles, playing great and this being an overall great team with Jeff Green as the number 2-3 option that he probably fills a whole lot better than being a number one option and not being around Paul Pierce or KG or Rondo.

I said nothing about Jeff being #1 option. I'm just looking toward the future. KG and Pierce have like 1 year left in them.

« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2013, 12:06:33 AM »

Offline zimbo

• Derrick White
Jeff...yes. Paul...no.

In the eighteen wins since Rondo went down, Paul Pierce is averaging 18.5 ppg, 8.5 rpg, and 6.7 apg.  Some pretty good stats in wins as well.

No doubt he has played better since Rondo went down. Most likely due to getting in "game shape" later into the season.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 12:12:59 AM by zimbo »

« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2013, 12:19:47 AM »

Offline ejk3489

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 215
Jeff...yes. Paul...no.

Green had a good stat line tonight too, but the team lost by double digits.

How is that anymore impressive than Pierce who had 11 more rebounds/3 more assists and just 3 less points?

« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2013, 12:26:44 AM »

Offline zimbo

• Derrick White
Jeff...yes. Paul...no.

Green had a good stat line tonight too, but the team lost by double digits.

How is that anymore impressive than Pierce who had 11 more rebounds/3 more assists and just 3 less points?

It shows he is improving and has potential to be consistent. He wasn't playing like this early in the year. We all know what Pierce is capable of, but they used to win we he played like that(or at least stay competitive in the game).

« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2013, 12:42:02 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Jeff...yes. Paul...no.

No doubt he has played better since Rondo went down. Most likely due to getting in "game shape" later into the season.

Or being injured earlier in the season, or meeting the challenge of being the leader and the Captain without our injured point guard.  Whatever the reason is, it's hard to deny that he's been playing like an MVP candidate since Rondo went down. 

I understand that you feel that his presence, and maybe KG's presence as well, is holding back the development of younger guys.  To a degree, I would even agree with that, but I think everyone should recognize the kind of ball Paul Pierce has been playing of late.  It's been incredible, and it deserves to be applauded. 

Right now Paul Pierce is almost unquestionably the most under-rated player in the league.  I think it's time we started rating him around here.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2013, 01:07:34 AM »

Offline zimbo

• Derrick White
Jeff...yes. Paul...no.

Or being injured earlier in the season, or meeting the challenge of being the leader and the Captain without our injured point guard.  Whatever the reason is, it's hard to deny that he's been playing like an MVP candidate since Rondo went down. 

I understand that you feel that his presence, and maybe KG's presence as well, is holding back the development of younger guys.  To a degree, I would even agree with that, but I think everyone should recognize the kind of ball Paul Pierce has been playing of late.  It's been incredible, and it deserves to be applauded. 

Right now Paul Pierce is almost unquestionably the most under-rated player in the league.  I think it's time we started rating him around here.

He is still playing with an injury. Like he said the pinched nerve probably won't go away. This happened last year too. He came in out of shape (I understand the lockout, but still). Vets obviously do this all time (Dirk came into the season out of shape too).

Yes, you are right, I believe the over dependance on the vets is holding the young guys back. That is mostly Doc's fault, in my opinion. But I understand the importance of vet presence on the team.

I agree, Paul Pierce has been overlooked and underrated throughout his career. I also agree, his play after Rondo went down the main reason that the Celtics are even going to the playoffs.

But the title of the thread is "Aren't you just loving Jeff and Paul?" To me..Jeff yes. Not so much about Paul. I know. Do I like the combination of them together? Not really, because it's not effective to me. The game against the Knicks shows that. I'm just loving that Jeff can be consistent cause I was starting to think he couldn't be.

« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2013, 01:22:21 AM »

Offline albas89

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
Can someone please ban zimbo.  This kind of talk is an embarrassment to Celtics fans.  Pierce has been playing at an unreal level for a long time now.  He's played far better than I thought even possible this season.

No, Pierce isn't as athletic or explosive as he used to be.  He also doesn't have the physical endurance he used to have.  He's older.  But he's been insanely efficient.  Been on fire on offense from all over the floor, is getting to the line, is playing great defense, but most of all, his rebounding has been insane since Sullinger went down.

It's clear that he is leading by example, because his rebounding rate has skyrocketed and it's obvious he's working harder to help out on the boards. 

Pierce's leadership and entangibles would make him a great asset to this team as long as he wasn't horrible.  The fact he's been playing out of his mind, top 5 player good has just been amazing.

You need to stop posting.

Lol, just cause I critiqued *gasp* Paul Pierce. He is the Celtic no one can talk about right? Well, of course KG too, I bet.

Seriously, you seem to be mad that we don't have Lebron on our team or something. I have to remind you that Lebron might be one of the top 10 all time players, and he's currently in his prime! Comparing him and Durant with Pierce is just unfair for Paul...

If we had 5 players playing at the same level as Pierce has been playing since Rondo went down, we would be #2 in the East right now...

Pierce is playing winning basketball since Rondo went down. If you're not satisfied with that and all you wanna see is 30PPG and crazy dunks, alley oops and highlight reels, then you are supporting the wrong team! South beach suits you better... ::)
"Life has so many hurdles. Some of them I've hopped over, some of them I've tripped over. The key is to get back up and finish the race."- Paul Pierce

And he did finish...